Best ferry route to southern Spain please

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by sally47, Sep 26, 2015.

1. sally47

sally47 Funster

Going to southern Spain to check out properties in April dilemma drive down thru France or ferry to Santander would appreciate comments from anyone who has done either

2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Cost and convenience are the main factors. We live 15 minutes from the Plymouth ferry port and enjoy the 24 hour cruise, spoiling ourselves in the restaurant.

But on cost a shorter crossing and more driving may be more attractive.

Folk have their own preferences and you can only look at it from your own perspective. If you are happy with lots of driving then go the short crossing route. Timewise there isn't a lot in it if you put your foot down.

For me it would be Plymouth/Santander every time, but not everyone will agree with that.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

I tend to take the ferry to Roscoff and drive down through France then return via Santander. There is probably not much difference in cost each way as I avoid toll routes.

4. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

prefer to use the tunnel & drive...can be on Spain Med coast in two days..where you live can be a fundamental.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bill_OR

Bill_OR Funster

@Judgemental - is Sarth London anywhere near Saarf London as that's where our younger daughter lives?

6. Judge Mental

Indeed it is Bill!:D

this may (or may not) help on next visit

Eddie

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bill_OR

Bill_OR Funster

Visit? It might help with the next fone call!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rapido925M

Rapido925M Funster

Are you taking the MH or a car? Would you stay on aires or choose between B&B/ hotels? The costs COULD be very different, to say nothing of the convenience.

We ferried to Santander then drove to Mabella one January by car: it took 1.5 days of high speed driving on motorways and an overnight in a luxury hotel. If we'd gone in MH it would have been 3 days, I guess. The car did 55mpg; MH does 25mpg.

In Spain we used some very narrow roads and some steep village streets with cobbles: where do you intend looking?

Only you know your situation - Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  9. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

May I ask what part of Spain are you going to.

10. vwalan

vwalan Funster

depends where you live . like dbk. i,m close to plymouth . about 350miles to dover . i catch the ferry plymouth to santander . no cabin have a chair . being in club voyage its 410 quid return this winter . i cant drive down and up france for that. never mind the ferry cost either dover calia or plymouth roscoff. . i can if need be drive to gibralter in 2 days easily from santander . but these days might never actually get there . visit other places and just relax . never use campsites , just free park. doesnt matter if its spain or down the west coast of portugal. or even on to morocco. never pay to park .
    in maroc better to give the guardian a can of beer or a glass of wine . and you make a friend .
    they like bacon sandwiches as well. but have fun and smile .

• Like Like x 2
  11. Bill_OR

Bill_OR Funster

with thanks to @Rapido925M for getting this back on track!

12. vwalan

vwalan Funster

all i can say is using portsmouth to santander and going to gibralter . from liverpool you can do one and a half trips a week . driving an artic with a forty foot trailer behind you . if you cant you get sacked .

13. Zepp

Zepp Funster

It always the tunnel for us we love the drive and never in a hurry

14. vwalan

vwalan Funster

like i say the tunnel for me is miles away. france in november isnt nice . done it loads of times when i used a vw t2 camper. but these days i get 16mpg . my choice . like what i drive . i do sometimes go to france in summer on my m,bike or just taking the unit . i have it kitted out as a sleeper cab then .
    but in winter ferry to spain . and it saves wear and tear . plus mileage. i do like france its a great country but have seen bridges washed away or trees down across roads etc . so now its relax on the ferry . usually its dead calm mind now it will be rough one this winter . ha ha . i was on the pont avens first crossing . have missed a few due to it not being working . but its a great ship.
    mind my favourite brittany ferry was the quiberon. sailed on her loads of times plymouth -roscoff.

15. Judge Mental

OP going in April

16. vwalan

vwalan Funster

and april in france is fantastic . the weather can still be hotter than a uk summer . its fresh . their spring will be well on its way. but even so depends where you live and what you are driving .
    i have friends to call into in brittany and charante . lovelly areas . angouleme to perigueux watch ottters there in the evening in the river, then to sarlat then gourdon , then montaubahn , toulouse ,andorra . brilliant .

• Like Like x 1
  17. sally47

sally47 Funster

Sorry should have said going MH and looking around Almerea and live same distance Dover or Portsmouth

18. jonegood

jonegood Funster

We drive because of the risk of rough seas and it usually works out cheaper, and if you can afford to take the time there are some lovely stops on the way.

If we were in a hurry we would fly and hire something.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Charlie

Charlie Funster

We have the same question.
    We are travelling in January though so it's the balance between driving from Roscoff down through France or the potential rough crossing to Santander..

We are joining Club Voyage France but that will only give us 10 percent discount of Spain. Unless we stump up for Club Voyage Spain as well..

It's driving me nuts trying to work out which way to go to be honest.

20. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

I live same distance dover / plymouth.
    I have done both car and van , once i used both twice each in same year.
    Always go via dover, mostly based on price but mainly because i prefer to be driving than sat on a boat.
    In the mh we use free aires and non toll. In the car some toll where it suits and stay at either a B&B motel or in Spain a small private hotel.