Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
My great Sony ereader has died and needs replacing. aahhhh. I find reading on such a device great especially when travelling in the van.

I would like one with a good paper like finish and a light on the screen for those dark nights. It should also have the ability to read a range of publication formats so that I can downaload books from a range of suppliers.

Any suggestions for a replacement.?

Thanks

Ronidog

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
When my Sony died I replaced it with a Kindle Paperwhite and I love it. I know it's restricted to Amazon books but there is an unlimited supply and I found the prices a lot more reasonable than Waterstones. Mags

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
I have a Kindle Fire. The smaller one as it's plenty big enough as a book reader. It also has superb colour which I love for travel and cookery books.
I can also, if I want, use email and internet.
Wife has a Paperwhite but mine was a whole lot cheaper and I love it.
You are tied to Amazon but you can also download books to a file on your laptop and then transfer them to the Kindle.
I also paid a tenner more to have no daily annoyances from Amazon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
When my Sony died I replaced it with a Kindle Paperwhite and I love it.
This
I know it's restricted to Amazon
Not true :D
Calibre (free) simply & easily converts any e-book library from one format to another - then simply copy'n'paste your converted books into the Kindle.
So @Mags52 your Sony e-book library isn't lost, just use Calibre (y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've got a Kindle Voyage which has the same screen tech as the Paperwhite.

It's brilliant.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Another vote for Kindle Paperwhite, just replaced my dying standard Kindle.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Had one of the original Kindles for years now, don't want to temp fate but will certainly replace it with a newer version when it eventually sheds its mortal coil.

There are thousands of free books on Amazon never any need to pay for a book unless you want the latest edition of something or another.

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Another vote for Kindle Paperwhite. Had mine 2 years and read it every night, no issues.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I have a Kindle keyboard for outdoor reading and when it dies I will have a Paperwhite. I have a Fire and don't use it anymore. I now use a Hudl to do the same things as the Fire.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I used to have the kindle case that incorporated a light but as much as I loved the kindle it was a pain. I got the paperwhite as soon it appeared. Whether reading in the dark or in the brightest sunlight I must say it is absolutely superb

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I just use an Android tablet (Nexus 9) and the free Kindle app. Of course battery life is not as good as a Kindle but it does so much more.

I would be wary of Kindle Fires, they are wedded to Amazon and some come with adverts as as been reported here.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
My wife uses a iPad mini with the Kindle app, which has the advantage of being a great ereader and a computer as well. :)

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Another vote for the Voyage. I've come up via the original keyboard Kindles, did not get on with the Paperwhite at all ( after 2 trials) as I missed the page turn buttons but they are there- if you want them- on the Voyage and it is excellent. I'm left handed and the "buttons" ( adjustable pressure sensitive with feedback) are on either side of the screen so you can turn pages with either left or right thumb or swipe if you want to. Streets ahead of the Paperwhite but more expensive.

I've also got a Nexus 9 but can't use that in bright light and find my eyes get tired after an hour or so reading at a time. Not so with the Voyage.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Latest Kindle paperwhite here..On my third one as previous 2 had pin holes in screen. 3rd now playing up with dark shadows bottom of screen and information has disappeared:(

all common well know defects...

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
I still have the original Kindle but the battery doesn't seem to last as long as it used to. Does anyone know if the battery can be replaced, please?

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
I have the original Kindle, but like some others, I now use a 7"tablet with Kindle app. It's just one less thing to carry around.
On the subject, anyone aware of issues charging tablets via an inverter - NOT a pure sine wave one?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've tried the Fire and tried the app on my iPad but I don't like the glare of the backlit screen for reading, especially when there's no other light in the room i.e. reading in bed.

The screens on the Paperwhite and the Voyage are fantastic and easy to use in any lighting conditions from bright sunlight to pitch black.

Personally I don't want my kindle to be anything other than an ereader. I have an iPad for the other stuff.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I still have the original Kindle but the battery doesn't seem to last as long as it used to. Does anyone know if the battery can be replaced, please?

Yes it can. The original Kindle is just about the easiest phone/tablet type device to work on. Replacing a battery would be a 10 minute job.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Kindle K3.....

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I don't know how many have already, but I would like to add to the paper white recommendations. Too much glare on i products and other tablets. Transfer to kindle app on Mac and you can read most files pdf / word docs etc so you can put manuals etc on them as well.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Still using my original kindle with keyboard, over 4 years old. I use it daily but will get the paperwhite when this one dies. Nick is on his third, I really don't know what he does with them.

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
wow this is turning into a kindle paperwhite thread!

Is Calibre good as library on a pc (for back up) Is it really as easy as y0u say Langtoftlad?

What makes the Venture so expensive?

and which are the latest versiions of the paperwhite and the venture?

Any body tried another system just so I have some comparison?

Thanks for your help so far.

Dave

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
Had one of the original Kindles but now have a Kindle Paperwhite as it is so brilliant to read both in bright sunlight and in the dark

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
What makes the Venture so expensive?

and which are the latest versiions of the paperwhite and the venture?

Dave

The Voyage..
I think you have to try them both. I had 2 Paperwhites fail in only a few weeks which doesn't endear me to them but my main dislike of the Paperwhite come because there are so many irrelevant things pop up on screen when you do little more than breathe hard on it. They spoil your concentration on the book because even turning a page becomes a lottery !

The Voyage has a set of haptic sensitive areas off screen so turning a page is instinctive and all that happens when you do so is that the page turns. No accidental word definitions turn up or Home pages appear etc. Just a turned over page.

My real major gripe with the Paperwhite is that you get adverts for books on the "desktop" .These are not books chosen to reflect your taste from your reading history but random books, some of which I would not have cared to have advertised if the Paperwhite had been bought for a child. In order to stop the ads you have to pay Amazon. I object to that VERY strongly.

There was supposed to be a new version of the Voyage coming out in November / December but I don't think it happened. There was a new Paperwhite version fairly recently I believe.

John Lewis is a very good place to try and buy. The prices are the same as anywhere else but you get a 2 year guarantee from them, which works ( see above the faulty Paperwhite: taken back, no fuss.)

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
You don't have to have the ads on Paperwhite. They will give you one for less if you agree to the adverts. Pay the extra ÂŁ10 without ads and it doesn't have any popups or ads. It's all a matter of taste. Some people don't like the Voyage because the page turning feature can be a bit over sensitive. I have an older Paperwhite and would replace with another one because I've loved it. Recently cracked the screen so its days are numbered but that was my fault. Dropped my ipad from a great height on to it. Fortunately the ipad wasn't damaged.
Mags

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Two more questions:

1. Can I use my phone or sony ereader mains charger on the kindles? I seem to be accumulating these!
2. What is a good cover for either the voyager or paperwhite?

Ronidog

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I used to have a Kindle Fire, but switched to iPad mini and granted in direct sunlight it's not great, but it's better than the Kindle Fire as I can read all kinds of book formats and as I down load magazines can read PDF files and its' faster. Does to job for me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back