Best crank up sat system

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by Big Nick, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Big Nick

Big Nick Funster

As owning a auto self seeking powered sat system is out owing to cost I've been thinking of getting a roof mounted crank up one instead.

What's the best out there and are they easy to use?

2. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Cost of automatic have fallen through the floor... Does anyone still bother with these? A few friends have bought snipe recently and these are £575

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

For my sins , in 2007 I fitted a Maxview crank-up.. it wasn't difficult to use.. but had a lot of problems with the crank mechanism.. even had the Maxview man come and look at it.. there was a long thread about it.. have a search..
    they may have improved..

There are a couple of German models that get good reports.. but frankly.. for the same or less money, as the judge said, you can buy the Snipe. I wouldn't buy another manual crank-up when you can have auto.

.. but I had enough of crank-ups.. and stand alone dishes.. been there.. so thought I'd treat myself.. I bought and fitted an Alden AS4 auto dish supplied by Vanbitz @eddievanbitz together with a Maxview 12v Free-To-Air Satellite Decoder Receiver

It was a snap to install, glue to the roof.. drill a hole for the cables.. and literally 'plug and play' .. it came with everything required for a DIY install.. including the Sikaflex ..

Top quality kit.. and it works great, used it all the way to south of France this year, (well my daughter did) no problems.. .. she said it was easy to use.. :LOL: and am really pleased with it.. comes with a lifetime guarantee..

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  4. kaasbroodje

kaasbroodje Funster

Seconded.
    Our last van had the Maxview crank-up. The crank mechanism was barely fit for purpose. I also recall that folding it flat after use wasn't always easy.
    A Snipe from ebay costs little more than the Maxview.
    I'm sure that installation would be no more difficult and the Snipe would certainly be quicker and easier to use.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Detnor

Detnor Funster

I have a camos crank up system, fitted 6 years ago. Never let me down, crank is fine. I ignore the dual, just got the hang of how much elevation is needed and use a compass to point it the right way. Used an app on the phone once, found it easier with my compass. Folds down low on the roof. No electronics or reprogramming.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ranger

Ranger Funster

Di
    Ditto, had the same and for about the same length of time with no problems.