Best community/place in Spain to live (1 Viewer)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I may lose my licence next year due to my eyes and diabetes. But life goes on! So we are thinking of a small place in Spain Alicante region? For semi retirement. Can any one point me in the direction of good areas to investigate on the coast? I would prefer somewhere that is not disserted in the winter and a proper community.
Any links to ex pat web sites would be appreciated and anyone with local knowledge would be most welcome to comment as I basically have not got a clue where to start!

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
Its rarely hard to advice any one were to live over here if you want some were like Alicante were there is always something going on and a lot of people about its not cheap to by or rent but just outside might be better for you.Were you can get a bus in.if you do decide to move over here and i can be of any help just ask. ken

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Spain

My advise is to rent first to see if you like it. Not everyone does.:Sad: I have sent you info on a personal e mail and hope that helps

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thanks chaps! Sorry but I did not mean Alicante the city but the region......

hogan

Free Member
Aug 4, 2007
Valencia,Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Please read up as much as you can.Dont buy new,Make sure you get a English speaking Spanish lawyer not a Spanish speaking English lawyer. Do not use a lawyer that has been recommended by the estate agent or builder. I could go on but if you need any in depth info please feel free to PM me.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
if you don't speak spanish and are getting on in years so unlikely to master it , torrevieja is probably the best place if not the most beautiful

everything from a gilbert and sullivan society to a voluntary group that will supply someone spanish speaking to go to the hospital with you ; easy access to 2 airports etc

the urbanisations around offer property at all price levels , free bus services for retired residents

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
if you don't speak spanish and are getting on in years so unlikely to master it , torrevieja is probably the best place if not the most beautiful

everything from a gilbert and sullivan society to a voluntary group that will supply someone spanish speaking to go to the hospital with you ; easy access to 2 airports etc

the urbanisations around offer property at all price levels , free bus services for retired residents

If i was you I would stay away from Torrevieja But thats just me. not wanting to upset anyone:ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi must say if i was thinking of moving to spain i prefer asturia or cantarbria. much quieter there is some uk living there. yes not so warm in winter but much nicer in summer. somewhere between santander and gijon ,its really nice there i like san vicente de la barquera. i find the med can be too hot in summer. much cheaper in the north as well. cheers alan.

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
hi must say if i was thinking of moving to spain i prefer asturia or cantarbria. much quieter there is some uk living there. yes not so warm in winter but much nicer in summer. somewhere between santander and gijon ,its really nice there i like san vicente de la barquera. i find the med can be too hot in summer. much cheaper in the north as well. cheers alan.

would probably not stay there in high summer would let it out hopefully!. La Marina has been sugested..any thoughts?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
must say med spain is med spain. i am slowly thinking even though i have travelled all my life .if uk was as warm as spain in the winter and we had alot less rain .i probably would stay here . i actually like uk,its too cold n wet in winter .but its no secret i think uk is the best place to be .easy to earn a few bob ,lots work about,most things are as cheap as abroad now. its never been better .only the weather puts me off. for me north coast of spain is like cornwall was thirty years ago. it could be my second choice of place to live . but i must say i do love living in cornwall. going away in the winter for me makes a nice balance. i appreciate the uk more every time i return. live here its a great country. cheers alan,

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
must say med spain is med spain. i am slowly thinking even though i have travelled all my life .if uk was as warm as spain in the winter and we had alot less rain .i probably would stay here . i actually like uk,its too cold n wet in winter .but its no secret i think uk is the best place to be .easy to earn a few bob ,lots work about,most things are as cheap as abroad now. its never been better .only the weather puts me off. for me north coast of spain is like cornwall was thirty years ago. it could be my second choice of place to live . but i must say i do love living in cornwall. going away in the winter for me makes a nice balance. i appreciate the uk more every time i return. live here its a great country. cheers alan,

I agree with some of that...will not be staying full time just over wintering etc....

Thanks again everyone keep it coming! I guess all year around urban areas will attract burglars:RollEyes:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, if I were you I would keep my money in my pocket. We have friends in Spain that cant get out, nothing is selling and they have a villa and an apartment, and have a job to rent them, and they are in Torrevieja. One has just come back and rented to a Spanish doctor for peanuts, how long it last he doesn't know, he just had enough and got back here to earn some money, and says he will not go back.:Sad:

We get invited over every time Jane chats to them on Face Book, use the apartment for free and we will pick you up from the airport..............No Thanks....It's bad enough being on the drive for 3 day's in our motorhome.

After all whats it got after you take the thieves away............Sun Shine....You can get that anywhere. :Doh: Bob.

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Spanish Living

Try the area San Juan de las Terrase on the south coast. Good area with access to largers places to visit or shop. Just viewed a villa on EBay for sale there at £70K, credit crunch problems. This area is warm throughout the year and is adjacent to National Parks.
Good Luck Ron

dogmanlpool

Free Member
Jun 9, 2009
liverpool
Funster No
MH
mercedes 609d
I may lose my licence next year due to my eyes and diabetes. But life goes on! So we are thinking of a small place in Spain Alicante region? For semi retirement. Can any one point me in the direction of good areas to investigate on the coast? I would prefer somewhere that is not disserted in the winter and a proper community.
Any links to ex pat web sites would be appreciated and anyone with local knowledge would be most welcome to comment as I basically have not got a clue where to start!
hello there just been to my freinds house who lives in a caravan site in benidorm the site is called vila mar ? he has just been telling me that the price of the vans have dropped in price to as little as £6000 and even cheaper ??? some people cant afford them due to the current cash flow of the world ?the vans are great you have you own bit of land with th van and little garden ? the place its self is lovly have been there a few times only 20 min walk to benidorm town ? you mite get a bargain hope it helps can put you intouch with him if so thanks keith:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
think hard ,caravan could be the answer but watch tv on a friday do you want to be near benidorm.san juan de las terreros is nice lovely beaches and parking just up the rd. be good for water stop lets have your address . playa de cosadors rules . tread carefully it works for some . take a slow drive down and around this winter to make your mind up.most of med spain is little britain / germany. have a look your choice make a good one. lots havent, seen many loose so much. sorry to sound like a wet blanket but is the grass greener . you could rent a villa and walk away if you dont like it. cheers alan.

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs

I'm with you there mate:thumb:

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
starting to sound a bit grim......buying not looking such a good idea if you may need to sell up you are trapped I guess. maybe I should just park the van up and let the tyres go down slowly! lol

My wife likes Worthing on the south coast she may well be right.......but for those long cold winters:Sad:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, the weather is not always good .:RollEyes::Smile: But you do have to remember it's winter there too.::bigsmile:

We know a nice apartment in Los Gigantes Tenerife, stayed a few times ourselves.:Cool:

We went to Spain 2 years ago, Jan / Feb, and it was really wet before we got there and after we left, last year we went at the same time and met so many people at Biaritz that should have been there till the end of March, that have had enough a were going home, we stayed at Biaritz 5 weeks.:whatthe::Smile: Ferry is booked for the 8th Jan and coming back March, and we have not decided yet if it's worth the diesel to go or not.:Doh::Smile: Bob.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hi, the weather is not always good .:RollEyes::Smile: But you do have to remember it's winter there too.::bigsmile:

We know a nice apartment in Los Gigantes Tenerife, stayed a few times ourselves.:Cool:
Bob.

We spent some time in Tenerife last winter and whenever we went to the NW coast there was always a cover of cloud, it seems that its only the SE coast that gets the good weather and that's often with strong trade winds.

Doug...

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: Just as a matter of interest. Today the SUN is shining bright and HOT. BUT, it is blowing a Gale force wind and has been for quite some time. :Blush:

landyacht

Free Member
Apr 8, 2008
Funster No
Living in Spain

Hi

On the whole I agree to what's been said I have friends who live near Torrrevieja we lived there for 3 months no thank you....

Have another friend who lives in Benidorm on a site they are selling up moving to Cyprus bargain been to the site know the van quite a few have left this site Benisol Camping at 4000e a year ground rent Spainish have got greedy they have lived in the Benidorm area for 18 years other friends are on Camping Villamar slightly better run site....

My self I have a place just outside Moja'car in land where the property is cheaper and near a Spainish village there are bargains to be had...

Not wanting to upset anyone but if you go where all the English go thats what you get all the English including people you would not want to mix with in the UK let alone over here.

Regards

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
Not wanting to upset anyone but if you go where all the English go thats what you get all the English including people you would not want to mix with in the UK let alone over here.

Bravely put! In my own experience you are spot on :Sad:

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
If i was you I would stay away from Torrevieja But thats just me. not wanting to upset anyone:ROFLMAO:

I would fully agree with Kenspain.

:Cool: ALL the ones above are Brit enclaves. Denia, Javea, Orba Valley,

and with johnsandywhite.

We spent 7 months in Javea on a campsite called Camping Javea and will be returning there after a couple of family events in Sept next year, ( if we can get our large RV on)

Mick

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I have various weather forecast on my desktop....Breakfast time Alicante was 15 deg and approaching midday it is 17 deg. London in comparison was 4 and now 6 deg:cry:

I realise that it is not guaranteed and has been wet the last few years.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back