Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
se london
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 47
Exp
xmas 12
Hello, our books for Aires and campsites in France are well past their useful age, most are falling apart, most annoying when trying to find a place whilst the driver is trundling along.
We have the Snooper sat nav which is very handy on-route, but it's nice to have paper when sitting at home planing upcomming trips.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Try "Visiting Skegness, the Perfect Holiday Destination" The many advantages over France the book lists are, decent food, (including pies), no ferry charges, 18 hours of continues sunshine, balmy breezes, and everyone speaks a rough form of slightly understandable English. (y)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
All the aires book and get the newest version available would be the top one imho, then with France Passion, Wild Swimming in france, and Most beautiful villages in france, but it all depends on what you like. if you done like swimming in rivers and lakes then wild swimming book is of less use !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
We nowadays only use Camperstop Europe. Dalied with lots of other titles Inc All the Aires books for each country, but have found just the one is all we need right across mainland Europe.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Forget books and use campingcar-infos.
Yes but books are good to see relative distances between areas of travel. I too like on line but the books are indispensable. I also have a large map but it's good to look at the books and of course, just drop it in the sat nav and no route problems (although I know some do have). Occasionally it takes me on a more scenic route but particularly when I haven't been there before, it's great.
Always a great back up.
ASCI books and app plus all the Aires too.

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
I would not buy all the aires until it is updated. Some have not been updated since 2010/12. The one in confolons is now run by the campsite and is closed in the winter, the one Mouzallin has changed and there are no facilities for emptying any more. All signs for the aire have gone.

I do believe that they are currently doing a new France aires book.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I would not buy all the aires until it is updated. Some have not been updated since 2010/12. The one in confolons is now run by the campsite and is closed in the winter, the one Mouzallin has changed and there are no facilities for emptying any more. All signs for the aire have gone.

I do believe that they are currently doing a new France aires book.
Yes usually every year. However the vast majority are good and our books are 2/3 years old.

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Yes usually every year. However the vast majority are good and our books are 2/3 years old.
I'm not saying they are all out of date just some our, we travelled 70 miles to go to confolons then could not stop at the aire or fill up with water. we have always bought and used the books. It just seems the latest north and south editions have not been completely updated. We will buy our next one after looking through it.

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Yes but books are good to see relative distances between areas of travel. I too like on line but the books are indispensable. I also have a large map but it's good to look at the books and of course, just drop it in the sat nav and no route problems (although I know some do have). Occasionally it takes me on a more scenic route but particularly when I haven't been there before, it's great.
Always a great back up.
ASCI books and app plus all the Aires too.
Each to their own! I find books entirely dispensable. The OP was talking about planning prior to the trip, and I find Google Earth very useful for this as I have the Wild Camping aires and wilding locations in it and can convert the CCI database POI format to display as well. Both Wild Camping and CCI POIs can be downloaded to PC and uploaded to satnav, so manual entry with potential for errors. You pays your money... or not...!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Each to their own! I find books entirely dispensable. The OP was talking about planning prior to the trip, and I find Google Earth very useful for this as I have the Wild Camping aires and wilding locations in it and can convert the CCI database POI format to display as well. Both Wild Camping and CCI POIs can be downloaded to PC and uploaded to satnav, so manual entry with potential for errors. You pays your money... or not...!
That's very good if you have data whilst there. It's available now but personally I still prefer thumbing through the books then deciding where to go. We never have any destination in mind. We're coddiwomplers

Screenshot_20170124-194750.png

Last edited:

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
I normally have a rough plan in mind, but seldom plan specific aires or other locations more than a day or two ahead, and may completely change the plan in light of weather forecasts (which last year took me to an area of France that I had never previously visited and thoroughly enjoyed). In case I can't get an Internet connection, I go equipped with information saved in pdf format and usually find this adequate if I have to resort to it.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I normally have a rough plan in mind, but seldom plan specific aires or other locations more than a day or two ahead, and may completely change the plan in light of weather forecasts (which last year took me to an area of France that I had never previously visited and thoroughly enjoyed). In case I can't get an Internet connection, I go equipped with information saved in pdf format and usually find this adequate if I have to resort to it.
Yes like I said, if you have data available. We only do somewhere near vague and it's just heading south ish then maybe East ish or West ish. When we're stopped we like to thumb the books and the maps help us. We've tried the apps and got ACSI app too but that'll depend on Internet but really it's the books and probably a big map to stab at and see what might be near ish.
Some people like apps, some people like books. You like apps because you tried the books and prefer the apps. Great. I've tried the books, tried the apps and gone back to books because that's my personal preference. The OP will no doubt decide their preference in time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back