best base vehicle

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ips, Mar 12, 2010.

1. ips

ips Read Only Funster

This is my 1st MH so no real comparisson however I have driven dozens and dozens of different vans and trucks over the years so I reckon that my Transit 2-2L 140bhp is the absolute dogs doo dahs.

Very comfortable driving position
    Excellent looking (IMO)
    Excellent build quality
    Great spec, cruise, air con, elec windows & mirrors
    Goes like stink
    And great fuel economy
    Reasonably cheap servicing and spares

I would definately look specifically for a tranny base if I ever change vans.

1 - What do you think is the best (or indeed worst) base vehicle
    2 - What base vehicle has yet to be used as such and would make a good un

2. Peter James

Peter James Read Only Funster

The Vokswagen Transporter looks best build quality to me - but costs about £10,000 more than a Sevel Ducato/Boxer/Relay for a much smaller van. (based on the prices in Brownhills) Is that worth it for a vehicle that doesn't do much mileage?

As far as I know, only the L2 and L3 Sevel vans are being used by the professional converters.
    I have no idea why they don't use the L4 ? (just like the L3 but a foot or so extra length behind the back axle)
    I have an L4 and find the extra 2 cubic metres of space very useful.

3. RichardnGill

RichardnGill Read Only Funster

The best base vehicle will depend on your budget, size of van and what you want to do with the van.

We had a 2007 Transit 2.2 130Bhp and hated it, as the driving position was no good for me. The cornering was also very poor with a tallish body. Now these problems might not be relevant if you are not to tall and have a low pro.

At the moment we have a Tag alko Fiat. The driving position is fine and it goes round corners very well. So it suites me.

I would like to Try a Merc next but on the size van we wanted they are a lot more expensive.

I would spend more time worrying about getting the layout I wanted though than the base vehicle. after all most people only drive then 5,000 miles a year.

Richard...

4. activecampers

activecampers Read Only Funster

The Ford Transit wins "van of the year" for a core reason :) And as its designed to be abused by couriers/builders it has an easy life as a campervan.

That said, some of the smaller engines are hard work, I recently drove a white hire one to the NEC and had foot flat to the floor for a lot of the way! So the engine matters.

Mine is a 125bhp 2L turbo -which is plentiful and a superb drive. The 100 is harder and the 85 is, erm.... slow. The newer 2.2 come in bigger engines, the 115 is okay and the 140 is a joy!

In terms of luxury, Ford do a Trend pack, which as standard I believe has: crusie, leather wheel, stereo/cruise on wheel; 6 speed; auto lights; auto wipers; elec mirrors/windows; heated mirrors; heated front screen; hill-assist; bluetooth; mp3 connectivity....

So its actually better than our car!

Also, if you are flush, you can get an AWD version of the transit.....

5. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

I don't know which is the best base vehicle but I have decided never to own a front wheel drive one again.

Doug...

6. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

I have experience of 3 vans, the first was based on merc 316, the others 2 both 3 ltr peugeot boxers.

The peugeots, in my opinion, are far superior to the merc, much quieter, smoother, corner better and in my experience much more reliable - the merc needed a call out 3 times whilst on the road.

But other people swear by mercs, and transits, and i agree with the contributor that said the most important thing is to be happy with the living accomodation, that's where you spend most of the time.