Bessacarr E560 Rooflight seals (1 Viewer)

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
20161227_101752.jpg
Hi All,
Firstly I hope you all had a spectacular Christmas, for our part we were feeling the full force of Storm Barbara followed immediately by Storm Conor on the wide open west coast of South Uist. It did however give " Holly" (Bessacarr E560) a baptism of fire and she proved to be more than equal to the task. I did find out that the rooflights were not draughtproof (not sure if they should be in 80mph winds?) but it highlighted that the black rubber seals were missing entirely from one and partially from the other 2.

My question is should they have them all around the rooflight?

2 have a bit of seal as seen in pic.

Thanks in advance.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
im sure mine do not have any black seals , mine is 2007 , ill go have a look brb

edit ... See below

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Hi Euphony, mine's in storage but I'm going over there tomorrow to check on things, I can't remember what seals there are on the roof lights, so I'll have a look for you.

Pete

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Ok on mine the main large roof light ( the 1 furthest towards the front of the MH ) does NOT have any black seals , both the one above the cooker / fridge area and also the one above the double bed have a black seal like yours around about 50% at the side facing towards the front of the MH.
I,d suggest on a wind free day to open them all up the go up on the roof and make sure all the springs are attached , as once I was up cleaning the and seen a tension Spring just lying in the channel of the roof light which had just dropped of somehow. Reattached it and it's stayed on since.
I think 80 mph would test loads :)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I think that some roof lights are unsealed to give ventilation to the occupants.
The one above our bed is unsealed and we often find small bits of leaf litter on the bed after Celine has been stood on the drive for a while.
You don't want to be sleeping in a hermetically sealed box do you?

Richard.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
On our E560 the seals are exactly as you describe, they do not seal but provide ventilation.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
The converters have to provide ventilation and the cheapest way to do it is to fit ventilated rooflights which is a standard rooflight but with all or part of the seal missing. You can buy the seal from such as Magnums but once fitted your van will obviously have less natural ventilation which you will need to keep in mind.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
No seals on any of the rooflights on our 07 Swift Bolero 680. Rarely gets drafty, usually only if the wind is coming from behind and then it's not much, even in a Force 7 we encountered once (that was a night to remember - not!)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Even a force 7 is only around 40mph, 80mph is hurricane force. We find we hear the wind in gales rather more than feel the effects.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
If parked up somewhere and its to windy to the point it is making a noise, just turn the MH into facing the wind.

OP
OP
Euphony

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
If parked up somewhere and its to windy to the point it is making a noise, just turn the MH into facing the wind.
I did face it into the prevailing westerly wind but it was so strong it was not only noisy but also very badly buffeting the MH. The rear of the rooflight above the fixed bed was being lifted by the wind and thudded back down which prompted the original question. I cobbled together a means to hold it down temporarily by locking a satnav window suction cup to the lower face then tying a cord to it, I then hung 2 x 2L bottles of water from the cord. This was still being lifted when the wind was at it's wildest.
Hopefully our first and last encounter with not one named storm, but two.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Hi Euphony, mine's in storage but I'm going over there tomorrow to check on things, I can't remember what seals there are on the roof lights, so I'll have a look for you.

Pete

Hi Euphony, just been over to check on my E560 and I concur that the roof light seals are the same as what Bart & WillH have mentioned, so it would appear yours are just as they should be.

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back