Bessacarr E560 Battery problems?

Discussion in 'Bessacarr' started by kinsleyboy, Dec 11, 2009.

1. kinsleyboy

kinsleyboy Read Only Funster

I've just bought a 2008 E560 motorhome and the battery has gone flat after standing for 2 weeks only. I've had it plugged into the mains at home during that time and the only drain on the vehicle battery would have been the clock & immobiliser as I understand it. Has anyone got any ideas or had a similar problem. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?:RollEyes:

2. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

The panel draws a bit if you don't turn it off:thumb:

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

if you mean the engine battery is flat then its possible, and likely, the onboard charger doesnt charge the engine battery.

if its gone flat after only two weeks i suspect the battery may be on its last legs and needs replacing.

the clock, radio memory and immobiliser only draw a minimal current and the battery should last for quite a long time before its flat.

if its the leisure battery, is the charger turned on.
    there'll be an on/off switch somewhere on the charger itself.

BTW...welcome to the FUN !!!!

4. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I was going to say
    if you mean the engine battery is flat then its possible, and likely, the onboard charger doesnt charge the engine battery.

if its gone flat after only two weeks i suspect the battery may be on its last legs and needs replacing.

the clock, radio memory and immobiliser only draw a minimal current and the battery should last for quite a long time before its flat.

if its the leisure battery, is the charger turned on.
    there'll be an on/off switch somewhere on the charger itself.

BTW...welcome to the FUN !!!!
    Geo:Doh:

5. WillH

WillH Funster

The engine battery is only charged when the panel is switched to draw power from it instead of the leisure battery. I have our van on hook-up all the time and one day a week change over from leisure to engine battery.

Rgds
    Bill

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  6. John H

John H Read Only Funster

I had a problem after I fitted my reversing camera to my van, the battery would go flat in a week, I found out later that the screens for the cameras draw power even when they are switched off, I unplug the power lead when its left for any time now and its fine.

Regards, John

7. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

And I would like to add
    Check out Lot 34 in our charity auction
    Just what you need:thumb:

8. pappajohn

same as my kontiki.
    really useful for keeping both topped up (individually) in winter :thumb:

9. pappajohn

but you just werent quick enough. :Laughing:

10. ronfleur

ronfleur Read Only Funster

e560

Hi
    Hope you have a great time in the van we love it.
    3 things drain your battery without u realising apart from the ones mentioned
    1 the status ariel transformer in the wardrobe
    2 the freesat receiver switch in the cupboard above the fridge
    3 the reversing cam on standby
    Have fun
    Barry

11. SwiftGroup

SwiftGroup Read Only Funster

Hi Kinsleyboy,

I think everyone has answered your question, but I would suggest:

1) Make sure the charger is on.
    2) Make sure the correct battery is selected on the control panel, as the charger will only deliver charge to the battery in "circuit"
    3) Make sure all other items are off, so that the maximum power from the charger is delivered to the battery.

There was a period of time where Fiat swapped the permanent power connection on the Fiat radio from PIN 4 to PIN 7. We have informed all dealers of this issue, so that they can check the correct installation of the rear view camera, if a customer is suffering from power drain on the leisure battery.

I hope that helps.

Ash

12. dave jm

dave jm Read Only Funster

I too have the same problem....Purchased privately e560 in Nov09 and put in storage...visited m/h 2 weeks later to find it was flat...paid to have batterys checked..both O.K....but same problem this week when i went to the m/h.
    Just recieved letter from Swift re fault on hab. door gas strut...will ring dealership to book it in....maybe they can understand this battery prob ie my fault/or duff battery.
    Does the battery come into Swift's 3yr guarantee....i will have to see.
    Can i ask you kinsleyboy what area or county you live in??

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  13. dave jm

Hi Bill,being green and a newbi...After start up what buttons on control panal are put in what position....cant get my head round this:cry:

14. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Doubt if the batteries come under any converters Guarantee, same as tyres

Peter

15. lunarman

lunarman Funster

I doubt that it will be covered by any extended Fiat warranty either. Mine was only 1 month over the 12 months standard warranty when it failed and Fiat would not accept it.

16. Mike Rickshaw

Mike Rickshaw Funster

Bessacarr E560 battery problem

I had a 2008 model Bessacarr E 560. The engine battery constantly ran down due to the reversing camera and infra-red lighting being costantly on.
    The reversing picture on the Blaupunkt sat nav was, disconcertingly, also back to front. These problems were put right under Swift warranty.
    Other problems were :
    Poor radio reception. There was no aerial ftted. Found the chopped off aerial cable. Screen aerial fitted.
    Leisure battery always loosing minimum of 0.5 amps. Problem never cured.
    Aluminium bed frame with a super strong gas strut disintergrated after one year of constant usage.

After 13K miles touring Europe over 18 months, we, including the cat, still liked the the vehicle enough to order a new 2010 model E560 with the essential cruise control, cab air con, reversing mirror and optional winter pack. Hope the new E560 doesn't have the same faults.

Cheers,

Mike Rickshaw

17. WillH

WillH Funster

Hi Dave, provided you have the same control panel as our van all you do is the following. Once the van is plugged into the hook-up press the switch showing a picture of the cab with an electric flash, a red light should come on showing the van is now drawning 12v from the chassis battery and charging from the battery charger as you are hooked up.

The chassis battery will always charge when the engine is running and also the leisure battery through the split charge relay.

It's also worth checking out what Mike says about the reversing camera etc, I don't think I have a problem there but I am going to check.

Rgds
    Bill

18. dave jm

Thanks all for the advise...Got m/h booked into Fiat in Hull on Friday could be battery or altenator..either way BIG bill especially as I've not used the m/h since buying last Nov:cry:Will keep you all posted.
    ........Toys cost money:Rofl1:

19. Marander

Marander Read Only Funster

We had the same problem with our '08 E560 which we bought in November '09, but it happened after only 2 days without hookup! Took it to our local Fiat van service centre - they checked it over thoroughly and told me it was due to a weak battery and wouldn't be covered by warranty as it wasn't a Fiat part! They said they could fit a 'Fiat' battery (at phenomenal cost) but it would only be guaranteed for 12 months!! Eventually found a much better deal (cheaper, with 3 year warranty) from our local ProParts centre and fitted it myself.

20. dave jm

Fiat at Hull found the problem with the battery draining...apparantly it was the radio/cd player/rear camera being on standby all the time...took them 25 minutes and charged £81:cry: what a rip off...could have bought a new battery for that sort of money.Will take that unit out and fit the Kenwood dnx-7240bt...anyone want to buy this one.....Eonon e1010..it is 6 months old and priced when new at £170.Only selling because i want to up scale to a 7inch screen,apart from that it works perfectly......Dave

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010