Bessacarr E495 - Advice please. (1 Viewer)

Dotplus6

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
4 yrs in total but not consecutively. Just bought the 3rd.
We've been offered a Bessacarr E495 - I think it's either 2006 or 2007 with 11,000 miles. I asked the private seller if there was any damp & he has admitted that there was a leak at the back & 2 panels had to be replaced & it was all re-sealed. My query is whether anyone would know if there is a possibility that the damp could have caused further unseen damage that may affect it in years to come. It's for sale at £19,900 which seems pretty good value and not too far from where I live.

I was really hoping for a Bailey 765 but looks like we can't really afford one atm but I was wanting this one to tide me over until we can afford one & then sell this one in a year or 2.

Any advice thankfully received.

Dot

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Dot seems a very reasonable price and the owner could have kept quiet about the leaks -- Just be aware that circa 2005/6 swift had wet floor problems that meant they went back to factory for major work done replacing the floors on the affected vans --check out all floor areas especially around the edges :thumb:
terry

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Dot

The first thing I'd do is to find out who repaired it and go and talk to them to see what work was actually done to rectify the damp problem, then if you're happy with what you're told, get an independent damp check done (ie NOT by the place that repaired it!) and see what comes back from that. This way it protects you, and the seller.

You also need to have a good check round inside ... on your own (nothing worse than having someone watching you!) so you can really delve into all its nooks and crannies which will also give you some idea of any further problems, not necessarily relating to damp. Check the underside of the seat cushions, the back of curtains etc ... as this might give you an indication of how long it was left 'damp' and if anything needs replacing.

Having only done 11,000 miles, or around 1,400 a year is very low which makes me a little bit suspect ... why so low? Part of this could be explained if it has been out of action due to the work, but I'd be wanting to know a bit more about it's history. Do some research as whilst I was having a Google about this particular MH model I noted some major problems posted on other forums about them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Good advise from Mel, if you are unsure at all then walk away; there are so many motorhomes for sale. Best of luck:thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
One easy check is to stand on the habitation door step, if it gives, the floor is rotten generally so check thoroughly underneath.

If it has had its annual habitation checks by a reputable service provider any damp should have been noted and rectified

Peter

OP
OP
D

Dotplus6

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
4 yrs in total but not consecutively. Just bought the 3rd.
Thanks to all for your advice. I had read a couple of iffy things about them so was a little unsure. I did think that the fact he told me there had been damp was honest of him plus I asked him who did the work & I happen to 1/2 know the guy so I'm currently trying to get a hold of his number.

Although the mileage is low, I'm not really that concerned about that as a lot of people in N. Ireland don't take their vehicles much further than Portrush :Smile: It's quite a small place to travel & if folk aren't adventurous they don't put much mileage on it. The guy who has it atm hasn't been out of the North & he knows the guy who had it before him & he bought it & didn't use it as his wife didn't like it. I do trust him as I have friends who know him. N.I is a rather small place & there's always someone who knows someone.

I'm just concerned that he may not even realise what the extent of the damp was. I'll wait until I get speaking to the guy who fixed it & I know he's a pretty honest guy who fixed it in his own time & he used to work for a Motorhome place doing the servicing.

Will let you all know if I take the plunge - I've been having rather itchy feet since last year & I'm sure I will manage to get the mileage up to a respectable level!

Take care,

Dot

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back