Bessacarr E435 - Cable for electric Locking (1 Viewer)

Sep 18, 2011
Coventry. England
Funster No
MH
Bessacar
Exp
Since 2009
Hi on my 2009 Bessacarr E435, two wires in the harness for the wiring for the electrical locking mechanism have broken; this is due to the poor design as the cable is constantly under pressure each time the door is opened. I have managed to repair it but would like to make a more permanent alteration to resolve the problem. Has anyone on the Forum, had the same experience and what did they do to resolve the problem?

Thanks Basa

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Had the same problem with my old 2009 E495, if I remember correctly it was only the green and white cables that were need to operate the door solenoid.
I removed the fly screen frame to get sufficient access to the severed part of the multistrand cable at the base of the door frame. I extended the 2 required wires further up the door frame with flexible multi strand cables, rerouted the new pair through the door leaving a good loop protected with heat shrink at the hinged part of the door.
Feeding the new cables through the insulation of the door was a bit tricky but I used an extended small masonary drill to clear a hole. Finally I refitted the fly screen.
I sold the Bessie last year, the repair was 2 years on and still working.
I did leave a bit of extra length in the wires inside the door to allow a repeat repair if needed.
Cheers
Ed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
BASA47
Sep 18, 2011
Coventry. England
Funster No
MH
Bessacar
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Ed thanks for your response, If its only the green and white cables what are the others for and when you say flexible Multi strand cable, do you mean the retractable type cable seen on some trailers

Thanks Basa

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Sorry about the confusion.
If my memory is correct there were no other wires other than the green and white connected in the door mechanism, the extra wires could be used for an alarm system if fitted but not sure. You will need to remove the internal door cover to do the repair, so have a look at the connected wires to the lock operating solenoid.
When I first noticed mine failing the grey thick multi wire feed cable at the base of the door frame was partially sheared, luckily for me at the time the only wires still intact were the white and green and the door was still working.
The multi strand wire I was referring to for the repair was a cable with multiple very thin copper wires (strands) to give it flexibility, rather than a single core cable which would shear quickly while flexing with the movement of the door.
I used 2 of the described multi strand cables which I managed to connect / solder and insulate to the white and green of old cable in the base of the door frame, they were then run up behind the fly screen door frame to a point opposite the newly drilled access hole in the door cover. I covered the pair with heat shrink at the exposed length between the door frame and the door, leaving a bit of slack to allow for the movement of the door I also fitted a small rubber grommet in the new hole in the door cover to prevent chaffing. The pair were then pulled through the newly drilled hole in the door internal foam insulation, as I said I made sure there was spare length in the wires hidden by the door mechanism cover which would allow enough length to be pulled back through for a future repair if they sheared again.
Removing the door access cover can be a bit awkward, mine had 2 socket screws either end of the grab handle, then a further screw in the middle of the door handle, the rubber door seal needs to be lifted for the full height of the door panel exposing the edge of the panel, the awkward bit on mine was the industrial velcro that was used to hold the panel around the inside edge, it takes quite a bit of pressure to prise apart.
(On my current Rapido they use the plastic studs which is a bit easier, I had to do a repair to a fractured latch spring only a week ago)

As an aside at some stage after I had done the wiring fix our Bessie external door operating handle cracked, we think it happened when somebody tried to force it. I tried for months to get a replacement handle from Hartal and then Zadi the manufacturers, plus all the breaker folk, in the end I was forced to buy the complete locking mechanism from Swift which cost £400 !!!
When collecting it from the dealer they asked it I wanted them to fit it, when I said I was going to do it myself they were chuffed as they said it was one of the jobs they hated doing.
I still have most of the new mechanism because I only replaced the cracked handle, so if you ever need spares give me a shout.

Cheers
Ed

OP
OP
BASA47
Sep 18, 2011
Coventry. England
Funster No
MH
Bessacar
Exp
Since 2009
Once again Ed Thanks for your response and information its has been very useful. As I said in my first posting I've managed to connect them up again by adding additional multi strand wiring making it longer than it was originally, so its less likely to kink sharply, hopefully that will last for some time.

Thanks again Basa

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back