Bessacarr 765 fit for 4 or illegal ? (1 Viewer)

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Been looking at a couple of new motorhomes and wondering about belted seats.I thought that pre 2007 vans could seat more passengers than belts but after that you ,by law ,had to have belts for every passenger!Is this true?
I had seen a good bessacarr 765 however it was advertised as a 4 berth,a nice van with 2 bench seats behind the drivers and a fixed end bed. Now the confusion, it only has belts on the drivers seats, ,the two bench seats have and are not suitable for belts so surely this makes it an exceptionally spacious 2 berth.
Now the van looks great but how could I carry my 2 young girls safely and legally! Or am I missing the obvious ?
All thoughts and opinions welcomed.

Vlad .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
All vehicles manufactured since 2001 must have seat belts fitted for each passenger.
Seat belts must be used whenever fitted, with no exception.

so it looks like the van is a four berth for sleeping purposes, as that has nothing to do with seat belts or anything else related to actually driving it, but only two travelling seats.

certainly not unusual

Last edited:

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
I think you already realize Vlad, you can't carry your family safely in that van.
Keep looking bud...:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
In my opinion you cant carry anyone in the back of a coach built safely, Belted or not
They simply dont have the array of safety features protecting the rear passengers.
And the rear passengers are sitting in what is a cheap wood framed caravan bolted onto the back of a vehicle

Just my opinion!
What do others think?

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Pappajohn I was led to believe there was a change in the law in 2007 .before that passengers did not have to have belts but passengers had to be carried responsibly and not in an unsafe manner .

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Not that we intend driving with an unbelted passenger, we heeded everyone's advice when we asked this previously - that our son's safety was more important but, out of interest we asked our insurance company and they advised that if the DVLA agreed then we would be insured. We wrote to the DVLA and received a reply on 18 February 2013 - The road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 require that seatbelts be provided for forward facing front seats only. Other seating positions within the vehicle need not be provided with seatbelts, but if they are they shall comply with the appropriate technical requirements. Nevertheless, our (DVLA) advice is that passengers are safest travelling in a forward or rearward facing seat equipped with a three-point seat belt.

The DVLA then enclosed an information sheet covering seating requirements in Campervans. which says:
Although is is not specifically illegal to travel in the accommodation area of a campervan, you should bear in mind that this area would not have been specifically designed for use when travelling and Regulation 100 of the Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 (SI 1986 No 1078) may apply. This requires:
a motor vehicle, and all its parts and accessories;
the number of passengers carried, and the manner in which any passengers are carried in or on a vehicle; and
the weight,distribution,packing and adjustment of the load of a vehicle,
to be at all times such that no danger is caused, or is likely to be caused, to any person in or on a vehicle or on a road.
It goes on to say that a person is guilty of an offence if he uses, or causes or permits another to us, a motor vehicle or trailer on a road when:
(a) the condition of the motor vehicle or trailer, or of its accessories or equipment; or
(b) the purpose for which it is used;or
(c) the number of passengers carried by it, or the manner in which they are carried; or
(d) the weight, position or distribution of its load, or the manner in which it is secured;

is such that the use of the motor vehicle or trailer involves a danger of injury to any person.

As Motorhomefun pointed out to us previously - is it worth taking a risk with the safety, or perhaps life, of your passenger? ivory55

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
In my opinion you cant carry anyone in the back of a coach built safely, Belted or not
They simply dont have the array of safety features protecting the rear passengers.
And the rear passengers are sitting in what is a cheap wood framed caravan bolted onto the back of a vehicle

Just my opinion!
What do others think?
Agreed, get hit from behind by a sleeping HGV or coach driver travelling at speed and the front seat occupiers will be lucky not to get hurt, never mind anyone in the back.

no crumple zone, no safety shell...nowt but a wood and fiberglass box

the attached video was a front end corner impact but the damage is massive.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj5U5hWWfis"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj5U5hWWfis[/ame]

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Diane001 have to disagree with you on that one ,at the moment 1 have a 2004 24 ft coach built and there are 3point seatbelts for the kids in the dinette .these are fixed to a steel frame and bolted to the chassi totally different to the dinette seats in a van conversion and taking into account crumple zones probably a lot safer than the front seats,if hit head on.
Agreed the very back of the van is vulnerable but a car is too.

Last edited:

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Yeah I would imagine getting rammed from behind would probably result in getting an overhead cabinet in the back of the head, That would smart a bit

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
I still say that no one is safe in the back of a coach built, Flimsy steel cage or no steel cage
Watch this
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9vZdoomTuA"]Fiat Ducato Camper "Wohnwagen" (48 Km/h) Frontal Impact - YouTube[/ame]

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
:thumb:1st...Johns Cross have a E765 if you did,nt know (looked at it today).

2nd, we get this problem twofold, as we have a MH and a landrover, many of which are fitted with inward facing seats. As far as I understand it, cars with inward facing seats are no longer allowed to be manufactured, but those with, can still be used according to law although numbers may be restricted by insurance companies (ie 12 seater landrovers cut down to 8 seats).
Our MH has two belts in front, and two in the hab area forward facing, our grandchildren come in sets of three:ROFLMAO:, so we get around it by sticking one small person (over 11 yrs old) in the front, the two others in the rear, and my wife unbelted, sits with them.
I am in the motor trade, and could fit extra belts, but to be honest, the conversion would have to pass so much red tape, it would,nt be worth it.

For those who like showing crash test's.......ANY crash test looks bad, its meant to, whether its a MH, a truck, or a milk float (i know, i see ACTUAL results), I,d sooner have someone sitting in the dinette of a MH, than in the rear of a euro box, 12 inches from the plastic back bumper.:thumb:

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Jeepers, makes me feel like finding an armoured truck for conversion...:Eeek:

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks darklord a good objective reply,that's pretty much what we do if taking one of the kids friends.My point is I thought after 2007 if you made a van and it was advertised as a 4berth it had to have 4 belts? True or false?
Ps have you seen what happens in a plane if it goes tits up .Wont stop me flying though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks Jim,so although possibly legal to carry passengers pre 2007 if it does go wrong you may not be insured! But if your vans built after 2007 its not legal to carry passengers unbelted regardless of where they sit and if stopped your knackered.If you have an accident your basically fuc d because any passengers other than the front seat should NOT be there.
Is that how you see it?

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
For those who like showing crash test's.......ANY crash test looks bad, its meant to, whether its a MH, a truck, or a milk float (i know, i see ACTUAL results), I,d sooner have someone sitting in the dinette of a MH, than in the rear of a euro box, 12 inches from the plastic back bumper.:Smile:

I saw a Hyundai van conversion that had an average side impact to the offside,Not only was everything from the offside detached but also most of the nearside.We stood and tried to work out what went where.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
When first looking, we saw 6 berth motorhomes with only 2 seat belts !!!!, so I always take "Berth" to mean what it does on a ship...."Bed", nothing else.

Just for coversations sake, adding seat belts, or fitting them at manufacture could be a minefield. For instance, in a van with a rear lounge and no forward dinette, could belts be fitted at all in th ehab area? the reason I ask this, is that a good proportion of the rear seating area could be sitting on an extended chassis, which MAY not be as strong, or rated the same as the front section, and MAY not be able, in law, to be used as a seatbelt anchorage point!
I looked into adding some to our fist van with a rear lounge, and could not, due to the water tank, so apart from fitting some kind of subframe that meets DoT standards (and EU) I cant see how it could be done legally.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I can categorically confirm that a couple of passenger's in the back of a Bessacar e765 are not breaking the law being there in a manufactured vechile of that date.

I know this because i have one, I have asked the question and had the same answer as the previous poster from both the DVLA my insurance company and the police.

What the law change in 2007 meant was that it was no longer possible to call my van a 6 berth as it only has 2 belted seats, despite the fact it sleeps 6....

I also carry my kids in it from time to time so please feel free to shoot me, and my wife and family have even used the toilet whilst on the move and made me drinks whilst I drive.

In my opinion you are as much as a danger to be killed by one of my bottles of wine, microwave or pair of training shoes flying around in an accident than that you are of anything else.

when I was a child, my dad used to even take me to school on his motorbike aged 4-12 and it was over 2 miles. Remarkable that Im still here at all. :Smile:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Whilst you are highly unlikely to have a serious accident, one never knows with some idiots on the road.

Never drive too close to the vehicle in front for a start, that should save a frontal.

If one has children, buy a van with the right number of proper 3 point seat belts
fitted, then you will never regret it should you have a prang.

Peter

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
So what you are saying is
I had a prang, some of my kids did not make it,
But I had them belted into what was basically a caravan with an engine so no regrets?

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
I just had a mega brainwave here
Crew cab?
Thats everybody in a steel purpose made van then put the MH on the back
I have even seen some upper end MH's with wooden sliding doors to separate the cab from the hab area

Last edited:

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
This with a MH on the back for those that are wondering
Link Removed

What are your thoughts on this?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Well believe it or not my 23 year old German camper is a 2 berth but as its a bar version has full seat belts for 3 people. Another example of German over engineering with 3 pilots seats all facing forward complete with headrests.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Our italian built SEA Miller has 6 seat belts fitted ( all to LARGE steel frames ! ) but is actually a 7 berth.. But one of the unbelted seats is facing backwards so is legal for the full compliment

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
This with a MH on the back for those that are wondering
Link Removed

What are your thoughts on this?

I think it's a great idea.. but.. the vast majority of motor caravan buyers are mid to late age couples and while this would be great for taking the grand kids the extra cost would put most off.. it would also make the van longer without giving move usable living space, so a very limited market..

Most families buy caravans, which not only have much more living space but also a lot cheaper and they are also better suited for holidays ..
Kids don't particularly enjoy touring and moving every other day.. and although our three did it, they were much happier when we were on a site for a week or so..

Last edited:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
cruiser

as a hgv 1 driver.in any veh.if you get hit by anything biger than you.it does not mater how many seatbelts you would be wearing.you will still get hurt.cars are still not that strong.:Eeek:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As a class 1 HGV driver, I look down on Class 2 HGV drivers :ROFLMAO:

As a c class motorhome driver I look down on panel van conversions but look up to a class drivers

I know my place.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back