Berwick, Lindisfarne, Alnwick? in December (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Help? We are trying to work up the enthusiasm for a week away before Christmas. In view of the grotty weather we think it might be a bit more sheltered on the East coast than the West.

Does anyone have any advice/recommendations on where to go/what to see please?

We are members of the NT, we hate using camp sites, are happy to use CL's, have no problem 'wilding' and don't have any need to visit pubs/restaurants etc.

We walk,cycle,fish and generally behave like kids on a school outing :rolleyes:

Gauntlet on the ground? :):)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
All I can say is I like those three places:D (sorry,not much help)

Have done them a couple of times with the caravan:xsurprised: not yet with the motorhome, we stayed at a c&cc site.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Cragside House is really interesting ......it was a bit of a drive inland though.

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Went up to that area in October of last year. Had a wonderful trip. Truly beautiful area. Take a look at my blog and check the entries of the month of October
http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

Let me know if an of the links are not working :)

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Yes I use that site all the time - in fact its the only one I use

Though I think I only stayed on one site during that trip and wilded for the rest of the time, some wonderful spots up on the hills there :)

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I didn't stay that near the sea on that trip but out of season you probably might not be bothered that much. I know they are very anti motorhome on Holy Island . Sorry I can't be more help.

In England and Wales my experience is that many places who get tourists seem to dislike them, and the more tourists they get the more anti they seem - motorhomes even more so

In general I try to keep away as much as I can but its difficult when you want to visit well known sites. I wilded successfully inland, and the day I wanted to visit Lindesfarne booked into a nearby farm CL to save any hassle.

It is a wonderful part of the country. This is one place I wilded overnight.

Angelwitch

Free Member
Feb 5, 2015
Hornsea
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2014
Yes,I know exactly what you mean.....Caister on sea stayed virtually on the beach.......Great Yarmouth was more "bugger off" :)

Angelwitch

Free Member
Feb 5, 2015
Hornsea
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2014
Dippingatoe,I have just started reading your adventures,I am well and truly hooked :) I feel I will be up late! :)

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
:) nearly 2 years on and I am still on the road. Dipping my first toe into continental travel - with NO FRENCH - argghhhhh! But managed to buy a lovely French chicken and some leeks and carrots which I am cooking with white wine in my new Remoska, whilst listening to French language cd's

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Looking forward to replies,doing this area after new year, however i do NEED pubs!:rolleyes:

I reckon if you were a customer and asked if you could stay for the night 99 percent of the pubs would be fine.

Travelling alone I find it a bit of a trial going into pubs, but when I wanted to visit london I found a chain pub, went in first thing in the morning bought a full breakfast and asked the manager if they minded me staying in the carpark while I went to London. They were fine and in fact I stayed two nights and a day. Full breakfast which set me up for the day was less than five pounds :)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Went up to that area in October of last year. Had a wonderful trip. Truly beautiful area. Take a look at my blog and check the entries of the month of October
http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

Had a quick scan through the blog, looks very entertaining and well written.
I`m going to spend some winter evenings working my way through that !
Thanks, Chris

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
Absolutely loads to do up there, St Abbs cliffs are lovely, little harbour very quaint. Walk the walls in Berwick ( if you have a dog be careful on the ramparts huge unfenced drops! you can park up north of the tweed and follow the Lowry trail. Call at Berwick shellfish co if you like crab, lobster etc it is south of the Tweed take the small bridge from Sallyport south and keep bearing left, it is near the lifeboat station.

Lindisfarne should be quiet though a minimum of Ā£4 to park, watch the tides! Once visited it in the dark in a snowstorm it was awesome!

Google Ross Back Sands it is bracing but lovely for a walk, north of Budle Bay you can park up then walk out across the fields to the beach and north, take your clothes off if you like ...its naturist though I haven't seen one yet!

Broken Link Removed

Budle bay is wonderful for bird watching. Huge flocks of geese sometimes. Bamburgh, Park in the village at this time of year or in the car park opposite the castle. Walk up the Wyndings and on to the beach. The church is lovely, Grace Darlings grave is there too. Lots of people like the Bamburgh Bangers from the butchers there, sadly not me! Greengrocers is great, they grow lots of the stuff themselves.

Walk on beach from Bamburgh to Seahouses, walk round the harbour and find Swallow fish ( another one of Rick Steins food heroes!) lots of smoked fish. The hot smoked salmon is recommended.

Find Newton By The Sea, walk along the beach towards Dunstanburgh Castle NT, you can walk back by the beach huts above and on call at The Ship for a pint of micro brewed Ale and a crab sandwich.

In spring and summer Howick Gardens are lovely ... Ofamily seat of a few Earl Greys https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Grey,_2nd_Earl_Grey

Inland the wonderful Cheviots, St Cuthberts Cave, Wooler, Ford and Etal, visit the working flour mill, you like your bread! Kelso has plenty of nice shops, Melrose too. Flodden field is very moving. Lots of history.

We have a house up there and go up all the time, still finding new places to visit. Hope you get some nice weather, it is usually much better up there than here in Yorkshire, one of these days we hope to spend more time there than here!

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I know you don't want campsites.. but if you did... beachcomber campsite at goswick is right on the beach .. and a national cycle track.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@Granjan Wow! a comprensive list indeed, thank you (y) and thanks to everyone else for their input.......... now if only it would stop raining....:eek:

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
I know you don't want campsites.. but if you did... beachcomber campsite at goswick is right on the beach .. and a national cycle track.
Double check but think I read on uk campsites that it closed 2012.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back