image.jpg

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
In the old Spain forty years ago the food was rubbish BUSBY.
Spanish food has always been good. The trouble is that many people who go to Spain don't like or want Spanish food, which is one of the reasons why places like Benidorm exist.

We went to Benidorm in Spring last year when we were touring in the motorhome. Me for the first time, wife for the second time (last was about 45 years ago!). Must say it is not our cup of tea. But if that is what you like I can see its attractions. It is very sheltered and has a good climate.

If you want a more "Spanish" holiday resort try Calpe about 15 miles up the coast. You can get there on the train from Benidorm I think, but we moved on to it and stayed in a nice little site within walking distance of the beach. Quieter with some reasonably priced restaurants, with lots of good fresh seafood. But no all you can eat chinese restaurants or all day English breakfasts that I could see.
But if you want the best Spanish food then it is probably best to avoid holiday resorts altogether.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
what went wrong busby? wanton women enticing, ney forcing you! to drink before the sun set over the yardarm most likely!:rolleyes: The road to rack and ruin!:cautious:

edit: Peter we go to benidorm and assure you we wont be found in a chinese buffet. as loads of proper spanish restaurants in old town and around. the day consists of walking/swiming and mainly cycling around riding out to different towns, lots of shopping when the wife turns up:(. Relaxing in the warmth and having a varied and cheap time. it really is easy to ignore the cheap kiss me quick type of establishments. we have never once drank in the english area of rowdy bars and did not know where they where til last year as came upon them by accident.

Benidorm a marmite thing, you will either love it or hate it. but need to look below some of the more obvious tat to find the beating heart of a proper spanish town. Those that like it are there simply because of the microclimate, its relatively busy year round, cheap prices. Simply better than being stuck in doors in front of the wood burner here...

Last edited:

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Last year was our first time.We are going again in March,there are lots of things in Benidorm to dislike and lots to like.From a personal point of view we like the weather in March( like a UK summer but 3 months earlier) ,the camaraderie on the campsite (El Raco), also because we take the motorbike once you get up in the mountains behind the town its a whole different world.The area has lots to offer and even if you don't have independent transport the public transport is excellent and cheap.On the downside eating out is a bit disappointing although very cheap its not great,however the fresh fish etc available in the supermarkets,is amazing and we do lots of home cooking.Another one of our negatives is drunken brits in the town,bit embarrassing sometimes,and loads of people on Mobility scooters who don't need to be.But overall if the choice is sitting in UK in the house with the heating on,or Benidorm no Brainer.We will stay for a month and then off on our travels.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Benidorm a marmite thing, you will either love it or hate it. but need to look below some of the more obvious tat to find the beating heart of a proper spanish town. Those that like it are there simply because of the microclimate, its relatively busy year round, cheap prices. Simply better than being stuck in doors in front of the wood burner here...
I don't think I either love it or hate it. In reality I would say nothing stronger than "glad I have seen it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to come back again without a good reason". The only heart we found was certainly beating, but to the sounds of very loud music. Maybe we just didn't look hard enough to find the Spanish town you talk about. We had a walk around on a Sunday, up and down the full length of the beach and into what I assume was the old town. There were a few Spanish families in their Sunday best promenading, as they often do, but what they must have thought of some of the sights that were on show I am not sure.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
The Marmite ad comes to mind love it or hate it, all a matter of personal choice, whatever floats your boat, or MH in this case.!

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
nothing wrong with Benidorm, it depends on your outlook of life. It's good to see so many people from all walks of life enjoying themselves. There are people who for whatever reason prefer total isolation, that's their choice, good luck to them. In the evenings we like to go to the various bars to watch the Tribute artists performing, in particular the Rock and Roll house where we can get up and have a jive or two and watch other good rockers.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Spanish food has always been good. The trouble is that many people who go to Spain don't like or want Spanish food, which is one of the reasons why places like Benidorm exist.

We went to Benidorm in Spring last year when we were touring in the motorhome. Me for the first time, wife for the second time (last was about 45 years ago!). Must say it is not our cup of tea. But if that is what you like I can see its attractions. It is very sheltered and has a good climate.

If you want a more "Spanish" holiday resort try Calpe about 15 miles up the coast. You can get there on the train from Benidorm I think, but we moved on to it and stayed in a nice little site within walking distance of the beach. Quieter with some reasonably priced restaurants, with lots of good fresh seafood. But no all you can eat chinese restaurants or all day English breakfasts that I could see.
But if you want the best Spanish food then it is probably best to avoid holiday resorts altogether.

Calpe has more BRITS than Benidorm. I cant remember much decent Spanish food in Spain thirty odd years ago. Never ever got vegetables, or fresh milk., salads decent though but not much use in winter. Black pudding has always gone down well though. BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
if you like seafood it does not get much better and cheaper than in Spain. a fraction of the price of shellfish in France and proper fresh!

Most of it comes from Scotland. Not much fish in the Med. BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
what went wrong busby? wanton women enticing, ney forcing you! to drink before the sun set over the yardarm most likely!:rolleyes: The road to rack and ruin!:cautious:

edit: Peter we go to benidorm and assure you we wont be found in a chinese buffet. as loads of proper spanish restaurants in old town and around. the day consists of walking/swiming and mainly cycling around riding out to different towns, lots of shopping when the wife turns up:(. Relaxing in the warmth and having a varied and cheap time. it really is easy to ignore the cheap kiss me quick type of establishments. we have never once drank in the english area of rowdy bars and did not know where they where til last year as came upon them by accident.

It wasnt me who posted that. I am easily led astray...BUSBY..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Calpe has more BRITS than Benidorm. BUSBY.
Certainly not when we were there in April 2014. The difference was chalk and cheese. When we walked around the town and harbour we hardly heard a single Brit voice. However we couldn't avoid them when walking around Benidorm, because they were always the loudest! There were some Brits on the site we stayed at in Calpe, but I don't think from memory they were in the majority.

I cant remember much decent Spanish food in Spain thirty odd years ago. N BUSBY.
I have fond memories of good food when we visited parts of Spain in the 70s and 80s. Admittedly we did not go often, but when we did fresh fish and vegetables were plentiful, as long as you didn't except overcooked cabbage and carrots! And the tapas has always been good.

As I have said I have got no real problem with Benidorm, it is just that I prefer other places.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Certainly not when we were there in April 2014. The difference was chalk and cheese. When we walked around the town and harbour we hardly heard a single Brit voice. However we couldn't avoid them when walking around Benidorm, because they were always the loudest! There were some Brits on the site we stayed at in Calpe, but I don't think from memory they were in the majority.

They must have all been on holiday as 60% of registered population is non-Spanish .Brits ,Belgian & Dutch mainly.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have never visited.

Someone posted a video on here of old people doing aerobics on the beach in their swimming gear.

I admit that did put me off visiting until such time as I am minded to do beach aerobics in my budgie smugglers.

Deleted User
We whent from this, mountain biking in the Sierra Espuna from the Camperstop at Totana
View attachment 51618
To this from the cross above Benidorm, rode up on the tandem.
View attachment 51619

Personally like them both, life would be so boring without a bit of contrast.

I think the views of Benidorm from that spot and when passing on the Autoroute are spectacular, man made but beautiful in my eyes.........from a distance.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
They must have all been on holiday as 60% of registered population is non-Spanish .Brits ,Belgian & Dutch mainly.
But in a holiday resort the registered population is not a good guide as to who is there at any one time, because of all the temporary accommodation is it? My guess is that with Benidorm the registered population is a lot less than the actual people staying there at any one time. Calpe is probably different as there appeared to be less hotels and more holiday apartments, most of which appeared empty in the Spring when we were there.

All I can say is that there appeared to be a much higher proportion of Brits in Benidorm than in Calpe. If that is because the Brits in Benidorm were a lot more "noticeable" (loud and p****d maybe) than other nations, then that could account for it, and maybe also account for me not liking it as much!

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Most of it comes from Scotland. Not much fish in the Med. BUSBY.
Ah yes the once booming towns and fishing fleets of Peterhead and Fraserburgh now decimated by membership of the EU and Spanish trawlers :sick::mad:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Went there last year on the train from Alicante......wierd to see bennie emerging from the arid spanish landscape. Kind of like an ugly Las Vegas with about 5% of the personality :sneaky::censored:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back