Benidorm is ghastly...or so we thought! (1 Viewer)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I have not been there and based on what I read I won't be rushing there any time soon. For me the benefit of owning a 'van is to travel and get away from the crowds.

As stated by others previously it is a case of 'each to his own' and I accept that for some it is a desirable choice. I can see the attraction of warm weather and blue skies but the idea of hoards of other Brits living in a 'little Britain abroad' does nothing for me.

I was not actually intending to add to this thread as I have nothing useful to say that the OP or the majority of contributors would like to read, however the opening title 'Benidorm is ghastly...or so we thought!' will attract attention. I am simply offering an alternative view in the spirit of 'balance'.

Now then, what type of hard hat shall I wear today? ;)

A bit one dimensional..We mainly tour in season but in winter with everything locked down and dead its nice to relax in one spot and just live for a while in a decent town with great weather... we are not all isolationists

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I have not been there and based on what I read I won't be rushing there any time soon. For me the benefit of owning a 'van is to travel and get away from the crowds.

As stated by others previously it is a case of 'each to his own' and I accept that for some it is a desirable choice. I can see the attraction of warm weather and blue skies but the idea of hoards of other Brits living in a 'little Britain abroad' does nothing for me.

I was not actually intending to add to this thread as I have nothing useful to say that the OP or the majority of contributors would like to read, however the opening title 'Benidorm is ghastly...or so we thought!' will attract attention. I am simply offering an alternative view in the spirit of 'balance'.

It's not just "Little Britain" in the area, there are people from all over the globe with many from Holland and Belgium as well. As with the Spanish they are very friendly people.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Are you someone who thinks the Benidorm TV Series mimics reality in Beni?

Oh no Jim, are you about to burst yet another of my 'myth balloons', you mean it does NOT mimic the reality?

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I knew it, so is this Mr & Mrs Snowbird, (sorry Dave)

1406806697970_Image_galleryImage_TELEVISION_PROGRAMME_Beni.JPG

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
And do these people do this in Broad Daylight?

280770FB00000578-0-image-a-1_1430070020548.jpg

She's obviously enjoying this position.......

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Beni is not on our wish list of winter destinations, nothing I've read or seen would entice us there.

as said, it's a Marmite place... it's not for everyone.

Great news, fewer queues, fewer moans and groans and more beer for us! :xThumb:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I went oop north this morning. Stopped at services,
" Bienvenidos a Costa Blanca. " I was cold , wife said
" well put on a coat !"xroll: At Alicante she said she was freezing :xdoh::xlaugh:

Too cold for me up there & I like Benidorm. Never thought I would first time I went but now when I'm up that way any time I will always make a point of stopping in the town.:xThumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Great news, fewer queues, fewer moans and groans and more beer for us! :xThumb:

and one less mobility scooter .. you are more than welcome to it...

3_riding_a_scooter.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I knew my post would press a few buttons :rolleyes:

I have no problem leaving Benidorm for the rest of you to enjoy :whistle:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
It strikes me that the only people who refer to the 'TV' series about Benidorm are those who have to work hard to defend Benidorm., "Methinks thou dost protest too much". I have certainly never mentioned the TV series (for that matter, I have never even watched the TV series).

There is enough information about Benidorm on this forum to tell me it's not for me.

Deleted User

We have been to Benidorm several times on cheap Winter flight deals for a maximum of a week and usually stayed for a night in a hostal in Alicante or Valencia as well as trips into the hinterland in a hire car.

We stayed 2 nights on a site in Benidorm (one in the ACSI scheme) for 2 nights 2 years ago, enjoyed the tapas etc, but the site was crowded and appalling(IMO :xsmile:), won't be returning.

I don't know what someone who thinks Cabanas de Tavira is a 'kiss me quick' resort would make of Benidorm!! :xgrin:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Why do people feel they have defend their choice of winter destination.. ?

I can't figure that out.. places we love others hate, and visa versa.. for example.. a remote site on Skye would be hell to many .. but mention that you wouldn't go to Benidorm and it's as if you had committed a cardinal sin...

I don't like big sites, not interested in how many Tapas bars, eateries or chip shops.. don't care for shows or night clubs or drinking.. so why would I want to go to a place that is full of them.. ?

It doesn't make anyone's choice wrong.. so why the big fuss.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

In this instance maybe because people who have never been and who have no idea what it's really like, slate it.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User

Well, actually Jim I can see their point of view. This thread is aimed quite clearly at those who like and enjoy Benidorm. It would appear that we are in the minority on this.

I can accept the feelings of others, because no one asked for our opinion. then our opinion is not welcome. Strangely enough I am OK with that. I know how I feel sometimes when someone else comes along with a (negative?) viewpoint on a thread that I have started............. I find myself thinking 'well, if they don't like it, don't bother to contribute!'................ and here I am doing the same kind of thing :cautious:

Then I realise (remember) that this is an open forum for all members to contribute as they feel fit.

I don't believe I have said anything offensive, just not the sort of reply or comment that most would prefer.

Whilst typing this @Jim 's reply popped up. I am certainly not 'slating it'............. just exercising my entitlement to comment :)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Benidorm?
BENIDORM?
If you want to know about Benidorm, take a look at an example of the kind of rufty tufty ruffians that have been spotted there (in the past).
Need I say more?
JJ :xcool:

There's even supermarkets that sell ferrets there!
Ferreteria, OK bye now......................:getmecoat:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
In this instance maybe because people who have never been and who have no idea what it's really like, slate it.

not me.. I have only ever said it's not for me.. you don't need to go to a resort like Benidorm to know whether you would like it .. or not.

who slated it on this thread ?

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990

I can't figure that out.. places we love others hate, and visa versa.. for example.. a remote site on Skye would be hell to many .. but mention that you wouldn't go to Benidorm and it's as if you had committed a cardinal sin...

I don't like big sites, not interested in how many Tapas bars, eateries or chip shops.. don't care for shows or night clubs or drinking.. so why would I want to go to a place that is full of them.. ?

Why do people feel that they have to criticise other's choice of winter destination..?

I can't figure that out either! Particularly when they clearly appear to know nothing about it other than what they have "heard".

Mind you some people know nothing, just purport to do so! x:-)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
@ludo no one has criticized anyone or their choice of destination.. certainly not me..

but as soon as someone says it's 'not their cup of tea', a storm of protest erupts..

I said in my first post,... "each to their own" .. that's my last word..

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've been in Benidorm a week now, never been here before. It got 'chosen' for us by the under 25s in the family who are flying out for our very first Christmas away from home. Only been off the campsite a couple of times yet, as I'm busy working. One meal out last weekend (Italian,very nice) and a stroll along the front with Siân and Katie, very pleasant. We are surrounded by some stunning mountains and hoping to get some hill walking in on Sunday. So far so good :)

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
I think the problems with this type of thread on any forum usually start with people saying 'it's not my cup of tea' or very similar. Fair enough it might not be but why the need to say so??

That usually is what triggers people being defensive about saying they like something in my experience,

Crusty jack

Free Member
Dec 2, 2015
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 640
Exp
Since1994
Black, no sugar please. Sat here in Felix the Starline in the kind of Welsh rain that you only feel not see and with no apparent end to it, I would be very happy to be in Benidorm!!! Toby Trux.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back