Benidorm is ghastly...or so we thought! (1 Viewer)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We left Benidorm this morning after a fantastic few weeks. We had only planned on staying 2 weeks. The first morning confirmed my opinion but thought we had better stick it out. Thank goodness we did, there really is such a lot to see and do. We stayed on Villasol, we met lots of nice people and went on lots of days out in a crowd and sometimes just the two of us. A special thank you to Pamela and Brian @Brisey whose fault it was we ended up there, Shirley and Eddie the app @tremybach and of course Pete @knuckledragger who all looked after us so well.
We look forward to returning next year. Have a great Christmas and New Year from Carolyn and Nick.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi guys, glad to hear that you enjoyed your time here with the Benidorm Funsters. There is much much more to Benidorm than that which is portrayed in the TV series. It was good to spend time with you both, we thoroughly enjoyed your company. We had a few great days out and a superb SOD OFF party. We wish you a safe journey home and look forward to meeting up with you again back in the U.K.
Brisey & Pamelaaar.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Yes Benidorm is certainly like "Marmite" love it or hate it but people should not judge until they have tried it and especially seen the other sides away from the "drinking" areas.
Glad you enjoyed your stay, can't wait till we are back.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
Will be there in a hotel on Tuesday. Checking things out for next year.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Sell it to me, I need convincing, we got friends in el raco and thinking of going that way to say Hi. But and its a big but I don't like the idea of it, preferring more not so English places. I know it's each to there own but am willing to listen to the good bits and bad bits.

OP
OP
C
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We loved our Sod Off party thank you, those 3 hangers on were quite friendly as well! It's flippin' chilly up here, I think we must be quite high up. Quite glad we are on an ACSI site, think the heating might be on all night.
There is the English strip which is certainly just as dreadful as you might expect but the Funsters who have been going for years have found a variety of restaurants with really good food, excellent service and good prices. The buses and trams are really cheap so trips out to Albir, Altea and Vilajoyosa are easy and a real treat, google them.
I don't drink at all and did not feel awkward in any way, I did wonder, Nick sampled the odd beverage though.

Last edited:

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We also swore blind we would not set foot in the place, having driven past it many times, it looked like hell on earth.
We fancied a quick week in the sun last January, and Beni was very cheap, so we said to ourselves, we cannot knock it unless we try it, so we did.
We stayed in the Presidente Hotel and had a great week, we are not big drinkers or pub visitors, but we went out and about, (dodging the LWB Mobility scooters), and had nice meals out, drinks in local bars and enjoyed ourselves.
Would we go back, possibly, definately not in one of those high rise hotels further back, but near the front is Ok as long as the hotel is of a good standard. Watch this space................

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Sell it to me, I need convincing, we got friends in el raco and thinking of going that way to say Hi. But and its a big but I don't like the idea of it, preferring more not so English places. I know it's each to there own but am willing to listen to the good bits and bad bits.

Living in Spain, we avoided Beni like the plague for many years because, like you we thot it would be heaving with "lager louts". For sure, those types are in Beni at times but we have come to realise that the town has many many faces and all of them interesting. No words of mine will convince, or deter, anybody about the attractions of Benidorm but I would say that if you plan on being nearby and have friends there...... give it a go, don't think you'll be disappointed.
Plenty of "funsters" are expert visitors and will be along soon to give advice, indeed one member thought so highly of the place that he........ Bought into it!!!

Bryan

PS: have a look here at current Benidorm Snowbirds activity in the town. >>>>>>>>>
Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
We think Benidorm is whatever you want it to be.
If you want tat and noisy bars it is there.
If you want nice restaurants in little back streets it's there.
If you want to go for a bike ride through orange groves and hardly see a soul you can.
If you want exhilarating walks with fantastic views it is there.
If you want easy public transport all along the coast it is there.
It's whatever you want it to be . We love it! Will be there by 2nd Jan

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
We left Benidorm this morning after a fantastic few weeks. We had only planned on staying 2 weeks. The first morning confirmed my opinion but thought we had better stick it out. Thank goodness we did, there really is such a lot to see and do. We stayed on Villasol, we met lots of nice people and went on lots of days out in a crowd and sometimes just the two of us. A special thank you to Pamela and Brian @Brisey whose fault it was we ended up there, Shirley and Eddie the app @tremybach and of course Pete @knuckledragger who all looked after us so well.
We look forward to returning next year. Have a great Christmas and New Year from Carolyn and Nick.

Bloody 'ell, those three names you've quoted are enough to put me off the place for life;)
:D:D:D

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Our ferry is booked, Portsmouth - Santander for next year for a minimum 3 months, we love the place. Villasol is our favorite campsite but there are a few others nearby. It was very hot this year with temperatures up to 40c during the day.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
we visited in our MH for the first time earlier this year because we wanted to make up our own minds.
As Simon Cowell would say "we didn't like it, we LOVED IT!"
Being lovers of live music we just couldn't get enough of the good quality entertainment available in so many bars and restaurants.
We stayed just over two weeks but Im still not sure how long we could stay in any one place. So far our record is 4 weeks in one place - beachfront at Taghazoute in Morocco. And three weeks of that was because we had broken down and were waiting for a part to come from Germany.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Nobody mentioned the important point, is Sticky Vicky still doing the bars? She must be 70 by now.
When we went to see her, the daughter was doing the act. vIcki was there though - an old lady with a bit of a limp.
She must have had a bit of an accident with one of the razor blades :xrofl:

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Have a safe journey home, sad we missed your Sod off party. We really enjoyed your company and look forward to meeting up later next year.
As for the beast that is Benidorm, we felt exactly the same as you did when we first arrived last winter but soon changed our minds, mainly if not entirely down to the company and advice of the Funster Snowbirds. I think the place will go from funster strength to strength over the next few years and I'm sure we will be there to see and enjoy it.
Cheers

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
If you are active and want some lovely walks Beni. has it.
Walk up to the cross and enjoy the view or walk along through the nature park to the old look out tower.
We have walked from Beni to Albir along the ridge. One of the best ridge walks we have ever done. Not for the faint hearted the cliffs drop hundreds of feet straight down to the sea.
Also great cycling once you get your confidence up to get through the traffic.
The hills above Albir/Altea have some great off road routes.
Then there is the great amount of night life and restaurants to suit all tastes.
Certainly missed going the last two years but :-
We will be back (y)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
We're also loving Benidorm and all the variety it offers!
It was also lovely meeting you both, didn't know about your farewell bash or we'd have been there to wish you Bon Voyage but I'm sure our paths will cross again.

Best wishes Dave and Ginny

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
If you are active and want some lovely walks Beni. has it.
Walk up to the cross and enjoy the view or walk along through the nature park to the old look out tower.
We have walked from Beni to Albir along the ridge. One of the best ridge walks we have ever done. Not for the faint hearted the cliffs drop hundreds of feet straight down to the sea.
(y)

Also done those walks....the ridge walk is a couple of grades more difficult than the tourist guide info says it is...and take plenty of water.
We love Benidorm.

Allen & Eileen

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
The Rock and Roll House is the place to be for good entertainment. You can bop till you drop.

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Tis' funny we would never have considered taking the 'van to Benidorm but this thread has been a bit of an eye opener.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I have not been there and based on what I read I won't be rushing there any time soon. For me the benefit of owning a 'van is to travel and get away from the crowds.

As stated by others previously it is a case of 'each to his own' and I accept that for some it is a desirable choice. I can see the attraction of warm weather and blue skies but the idea of hoards of other Brits living in a 'little Britain abroad' does nothing for me.

I was not actually intending to add to this thread as I have nothing useful to say that the OP or the majority of contributors would like to read, however the opening title 'Benidorm is ghastly...or so we thought!' will attract attention. I am simply offering an alternative view in the spirit of 'balance'.

Now then, what type of hard hat shall I wear today? ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back