Benidorm is ghastly...or so we thought!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by carolyn, Dec 13, 2015.

1. carolyn

carolyn Funster

We left Benidorm this morning after a fantastic few weeks. We had only planned on staying 2 weeks. The first morning confirmed my opinion but thought we had better stick it out. Thank goodness we did, there really is such a lot to see and do. We stayed on Villasol, we met lots of nice people and went on lots of days out in a crowd and sometimes just the two of us. A special thank you to Pamela and Brian @Brisey whose fault it was we ended up there, Shirley and Eddie the app @tremybach and of course Pete @knuckledragger who all looked after us so well.
    We look forward to returning next year. Have a great Christmas and New Year from Carolyn and Nick.

• Like Like x 14
  2. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

Hi guys, glad to hear that you enjoyed your time here with the Benidorm Funsters. There is much much more to Benidorm than that which is portrayed in the TV series. It was good to spend time with you both, we thoroughly enjoyed your company. We had a few great days out and a superb SOD OFF party. We wish you a safe journey home and look forward to meeting up with you again back in the U.K.
    Brisey & Pamelaaar.

• Like Like x 7
  3. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Yes Benidorm is certainly like "Marmite" love it or hate it but people should not judge until they have tried it and especially seen the other sides away from the "drinking" areas.
    Glad you enjoyed your stay, can't wait till we are back.

• Like Like x 5
  4. jo-ca

jo-ca Funster

Will be there in a hotel on Tuesday. Checking things out for next year.

5. Mikey RV

Mikey RV Funster

Sell it to me, I need convincing, we got friends in el raco and thinking of going that way to say Hi. But and its a big but I don't like the idea of it, preferring more not so English places. I know it's each to there own but am willing to listen to the good bits and bad bits.

• Like Like x 2
  6. carolyn

carolyn Funster

We loved our Sod Off party thank you, those 3 hangers on were quite friendly as well! It's flippin' chilly up here, I think we must be quite high up. Quite glad we are on an ACSI site, think the heating might be on all night.
    There is the English strip which is certainly just as dreadful as you might expect but the Funsters who have been going for years have found a variety of restaurants with really good food, excellent service and good prices. The buses and trams are really cheap so trips out to Albir, Altea and Vilajoyosa are easy and a real treat, google them.
    I don't drink at all and did not feel awkward in any way, I did wonder, Nick sampled the odd beverage though.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 6
  7. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

We also swore blind we would not set foot in the place, having driven past it many times, it looked like hell on earth.
    We fancied a quick week in the sun last January, and Beni was very cheap, so we said to ourselves, we cannot knock it unless we try it, so we did.
    We stayed in the Presidente Hotel and had a great week, we are not big drinkers or pub visitors, but we went out and about, (dodging the LWB Mobility scooters), and had nice meals out, drinks in local bars and enjoyed ourselves.
    Would we go back, possibly, definately not in one of those high rise hotels further back, but near the front is Ok as long as the hotel is of a good standard. Watch this space................

8. bryandh

bryandh Funster

Living in Spain, we avoided Beni like the plague for many years because, like you we thot it would be heaving with "lager louts". For sure, those types are in Beni at times but we have come to realise that the town has many many faces and all of them interesting. No words of mine will convince, or deter, anybody about the attractions of Benidorm but I would say that if you plan on being nearby and have friends there...... give it a go, don't think you'll be disappointed.
    Plenty of "funsters" are expert visitors and will be along soon to give advice, indeed one member thought so highly of the place that he........ Bought into it!!!

Bryan

PS: have a look here at current Benidorm Snowbirds activity in the town. >>>>>>>>>
    http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/groups/

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Jandek

Jandek Funster

We think Benidorm is whatever you want it to be.
    If you want tat and noisy bars it is there.
    If you want nice restaurants in little back streets it's there.
    If you want to go for a bike ride through orange groves and hardly see a soul you can.
    If you want exhilarating walks with fantastic views it is there.
    If you want easy public transport all along the coast it is there.
    It's whatever you want it to be . We love it! Will be there by 2nd Jan

• Like Like x 9
  10. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Bloody 'ell, those three names you've quoted are enough to put me off the place for life;)
    :D:D:D

• Like Like x 3
  11. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

Our ferry is booked, Portsmouth - Santander for next year for a minimum 3 months, we love the place. Villasol is our favorite campsite but there are a few others nearby. It was very hot this year with temperatures up to 40c during the day.

• Like Like x 1
  12. makems

makems Funster Life Member

we visited in our MH for the first time earlier this year because we wanted to make up our own minds.
    As Simon Cowell would say "we didn't like it, we LOVED IT!"
    Being lovers of live music we just couldn't get enough of the good quality entertainment available in so many bars and restaurants.
    We stayed just over two weeks but Im still not sure how long we could stay in any one place. So far our record is 4 weeks in one place - beachfront at Taghazoute in Morocco. And three weeks of that was because we had broken down and were waiting for a part to come from Germany.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Nobody mentioned the important point, is Sticky Vicky still doing the bars? She must be 70 by now.

• Like Like x 1
  14. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

Saw signs that her daughter has taken over xroll:

15. Neckender

Neckender Funster

Just love the place.

John.

16. makems

makems Funster Life Member

When we went to see her, the daughter was doing the act. vIcki was there though - an old lady with a bit of a limp.
    She must have had a bit of an accident with one of the razor blades :xrofl:

17. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

Villasol, Just been on their website no mention of camping just chalets, am I missing something?

18. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Look under plots

19. Sheddy

Sheddy Funster

Have a safe journey home, sad we missed your Sod off party. We really enjoyed your company and look forward to meeting up later next year.
    As for the beast that is Benidorm, we felt exactly the same as you did when we first arrived last winter but soon changed our minds, mainly if not entirely down to the company and advice of the Funster Snowbirds. I think the place will go from funster strength to strength over the next few years and I'm sure we will be there to see and enjoy it.
    Cheers

• Like Like x 4
  20. Sheddy

Sheddy Funster

You know you would love it Phil, we will 'keep a welcome for you' :xrofl::xrofl:

• Like Like x 1