benidorm full timers shopping places (1 Viewer)

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
Hi Im starting to prepare selling all my stuff before moving over later in the year. where do all you fulltimers shop for food/ houseware etc. Im sure you dont shop in the touristy supermarkets but doyou actually use iceland or the other supermarket further down del dia or similar

id plan on fruit and veg etc from market but wondered where the cost concious shop ?

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We shop in Dia or mas y mas. Some prices even varies in them.some go to Lidl in La Marina retail park but to us that means 2 bus journey costing €11 so it doesn't pay us to go there.
Iceland very expensive but they have to import it so there's the reason. Plenty of other places to get English food if needed. We go with the Spanish food.

OP
OP
G

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
yes ill be quite happy wiyth spanish food. didnt want to shop in the local supermarket only to find everyone shops 2 miles away at 50% of the weekly cost . every penny means an hour longer in spain etc etc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Spanish chain supermarkets, and Lidl & Aldi too, are much better and generally actually substantially cheaper for fruit and veg than the streetmarkets.
Mercadona and Mas y Mas etc are excellent.

Purchasing lesson 1.01 -
DON'T fall into the classic immigrant trap here of buying "British" brands, or ever going to "British" stores.
They are WAY WAY overpriced here compared to the Spanish/mainland European equivalents (many of which are actually the same product off the same production line, simply badged/packaged differently).

Buy local Spanish brands, especially the own-brand products of Mercadona etc....they really are excellent and superb value for money.

Also do check and keep your "bono" tickets that you get with your till receipt from the Spanish supermarkets - often they offer brilliant value for specific future food item purchases in the days/weeks ahead.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Over the 4 years we have had a place there we now use a selection of shops..
Consum and Carrefour express are main one for us as they are closer, Just like shopping in UK some things are better or cheaper in certain stores. "English" bread is one of the few UK products we buy, this mainly because the wife and Grandkids are fussy buggers for their toast.. But we all love the baguettes / Bara de pan (y)

Fruit and veg we buy little and often as it goes off to quick.

Some Toiletry items like body spray and the wifes hair shampoo we bring over when in a vehicle and stock up..
Same as my Strongbow cider and tea bags.. :)

Aldi and Lidl for some items.. But has to be worth the trip..

OP
OP
G

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
Some Toiletry items like body spray and the wifes hair shampoo we bring over when in a vehicle and stock up..

So is it worth bringing a box of shampoo deoderants etc ? what items are really expensive over there and chep in uk so worth bringing out ? i dont mean english products like bacon etc

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Just south of Benidorm on the edge of Villajoyosa there is a ex pat store if your missing English food etc. Bit like a cash and carry the more you buy the cheaper it is.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

So is it worth bringing a box of shampoo deoderants etc ? what items are really expensive over there and chep in uk so worth bringing out ? i dont mean english products like bacon etc
Unless it is peculiar to the Uk then there's not any point . I but deodorant from lidl/aldi /mercadona.
Only thing I can think that is dear here cheap there is vehicles.:giggle::giggle:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

It's a woman thing... I aint got any hair but the wife likes her particular ones and they can be a lot cheaper in UK.

Dont forget you now have Dealz ( poundland ) up at La marina so might be worth checking out their offers..

Tea bags can be a big saving (y) I fact one year i did a deal with a local small shop, 35p a box of cheapies out of Morrisons and sold em for €1.. He sold them for €2 !!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We shop in Dia or mas y mas. Some prices even varies in them.some go to Lidl in La Marina retail park but to us that means 2 bus journey costing €11 so it doesn't pay us to go there.
Iceland very expensive but they have to import it so there's the reason. Plenty of other places to get English food if needed. We go with the Spanish food.

Lidl in Albir nice walk,easy cycle or the bus,,BUSBY,,

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Consum & Mercadona. We now buy spanish everyday products to take back for the 2-3 months we are in uk! (Not including plonk!)

:) Tell me about it..
My grandaughter loves a Tomato Pasata that Consum sell. We go over for the month in August and we always have to bring some home. Plus my son likes a hair gel they sell, so that gets added to the bring backs.. less space and weight for my Cointrea..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back