Belgium? (1 Viewer)

Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
Ok so we,re getting ready to go to France next week when other half says ' Oh I would,nt mind going to Belgium or Germany for a change', so here,s the thing, never been that way, have no idea about camp sites etc, up the creek without a paddle!

So guy,s where do you suggest? :Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I like Belgium,great beer,mussels and cafe bars. Try a tour of the breweries and bars. Lots of info on the net, just Google Belgium brewery tours. Some really nice towns and beaches too. Oh they make the best chips in Europe, forget French fries.

denpar

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki
Exp
4 years
Ok so we,re getting ready to go to France next week when other half says ' Oh I would,nt mind going to Belgium or Germany for a change', so here,s the thing, never been that way, have no idea about camp sites etc, up the creek without a paddle!

We spent a week touring around Belgium and Luxemburg in February, had a fantastic week just mooching about, stayed on Aires which were all really good, each one being completely different from being right on the beach at Westende Bad to one which was a five minute walk to the centre of Brugge town.
Wherever you end up Enjoy!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Belgium is highly underrated as a country to visit. Most people are just passing through it to get somewhere else.

In the north Brugge is the city to visit. They call it the Venice of the north. The WW1 battlefields and the Menin Gate.

In the south are the Ardennes which also stretches into Luxembourg, Germany and France and well worth a few days touring.

The Flemish Belgians often speak English are very friendly. The French Belgians slightly less so and not so hot on speaking English.

Germany has the Stellplatz which is the equivalent (almost) of the Aire De Camping car.

Get yourself onto the Vicarious Books site and spend a bit of money on the right books and get some POI's on campsites, Aires etc on your satnav.

Belgium is well worth an extended visit.

Pete:Cool:

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
First stop Ypres in Belgium. Not far from Calais or Dunkirk for a first stop and there is a municipal campsite in the centre of town.
Visit the menin gate at 6pm for the memorial service - it's every night. Lots of historical things to see in the town or do as we did and splash out on a minibus tour to see things in the surrounding countryside, well worth the money.

jon555

Free Member
May 7, 2012
stockport
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
since 2009
hi

we did dunkirk to belgium followed by germany last sept.. spent a month on the road.. it was so easy to do as the continent seems to cater so much for motorhomes far more than this country,, from memory we spent time in gent and brugge then down the rhine and up the mossel in germany.. most stellplatz/aires are on the map and a good book to buy is on the vicarious books website... got all the locations and facilities within...

hope it helps jon

OP
OP
RollingRog
Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
Belgium is highly underrated as a country to visit. Most people are just passing through it to get somewhere else.

In the north Brugge is the city to visit. They call it the Venice of the north. The WW1 battlefields and the Menin Gate.

In the south are the Ardennes which also stretches into Luxembourg, Germany and France and well worth a few days touring.

The Flemish Belgians often speak English are very friendly. The French Belgians slightly less so and not so hot on speaking English.

Germany has the Stellplatz which is the equivalent (almost) of the Aire De Camping car.

Get yourself onto the Vicarious Books site and spend a bit of money on the right books and get some POI's on campsites, Aires etc on your satnav.

Belgium is well worth an extended visit.

Pete:Cool:

cheers for the info sounds good, by the way I like your do as you likeys logo!!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I have just got back a couple of days ago. to be honest I found the state of the roads in Belgium appaling, full of potholes including the motorways. Aires were few and far between ( we had a copy of camperstop.) Not a lot of wilding places and hardly a layby in sight but maybe I was not looking hard enough. Germany was much much better and well recomended. The scenic tour of the Mosel vally starting at Trier is much recommended, after filling the tank in Luxemburgh of course at 1.275€ a litre and if you smoke stocking up on the weed. Give it a go you will love it.

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
Brugge/ghent/(lovely cities)/bastogne -great museum (battle of the bulge) luxembourg for cheap fuel, Boppard/koblenz area in Germany are all great places to visit

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years

==========

About 7- weeks ago we got off the ferry with the only planned bit of a week touring around being --- staying one night at camping Memling in Brugge.. Small and quiet site with regular buses ( think it was € 3 return ) to Brugge town centre . Fascinating town to wander around , loads of sights to see, museums , art galleries etc . One of our favourites actually.

From there to Trier , staying on a stelplatz , think that was about €7 per night.Town was fine to have a wander around . Enjoyable company on the Stelplatz . ..... From there we intended going to Koblenz ...... Ended up at Bernkastel Keus , beautiful place , like stepping back in time .Staying on a large Stelplatz at Enkirch , about 20 Km away .... Stelplatz at rivers edge next to hillside vineyards , glorious weather , € 7 per night , just stayed put and thoroughly chilled out , didnt see the point of doing more miles when we were quite content there . You would be spoilt for choice regarding Stelplatz , they are every couple of Kilometres .

Returning for ferry , stayed on the aire next to Brugge bus station . Thats quite a pricey stay ,, € 22 per night , summer rates , But very easy walk to the town centre... boat restaurant ( mayflower) next to the aire is well worth a visit.....

Finished off on the aire at Gravelines , which is about a 15 minute drive to Dunkirk ferry .

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Brugge is my favourite European city and camping me ling is in an excellent location

Have a good trip :thumb:

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Belgium suffers from travel snobbery = you're going where?! Then: name a famous Belgian, chips 'n' mayonnaise, can't form a government, etc etc. Excellent - means that fewer people go there and clog the place up.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
The best thing about Belgium is that everone else just passes through it, leaving it for us that know it to enjoy it in peace.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

FRANCE........full stop.....been, done it......not do it again......stick to your first choice France:thumb:

Why do you think all the GERMANS come to France in the summer and Spain, Portugal in the WINTER:Doh::winky:
Mel

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
The best thing about Belgium is that everone else just passes through it, leaving it for us that know it to enjoy it in peace.

:Doh:..............a sad place no wonder every body passes through it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: ...even the Belg end up in France:Doh:

Mel

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I like Belgium.

I like the beaches , the beer and the cigarette prices :thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Brugge/ghent/(lovely cities)/bastogne -great museum (battle of the bulge) luxembourg for cheap fuel, Boppard/koblenz area in Germany are all great places to visit

Spud'n't (Tony).......Like your Avatar........Great ....:thumb: We all have to use the lavy sometime....Good job you was there at the royal chamber with your camera at the ready:winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:......Good Yorkshire humour....love it.

Mel

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I have a slightly sneaky feeling somehow that Mel may be a bit biased.

Nothing OTT, just a tad ........ :ROFLMAO:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I have a slightly sneaky feeling somehow that Mel may be a bit biased.

Nothing OTT, just a tad ........ :ROFLMAO:

Jenny, not at all, been there many times and not impressed....as it is very close to us 30 miles( 50 km) and we are there...and no Channel to cross...so to answer wivvies dad... yes we do know Belgium.....the coast line is a small and not that attractive...
We found Belgium unattractive and nothing to offer us. So yes I will leave Belgium to you Wivvies Dad...it depends what rock's your boat.and what you like

My next door neighbour is Belg so Biased I am not, a lot of her family still live in Belgium and lovely people they are...and we are invited many times.

But if you want cheap CIGARETTES,CHOCOLATES,AND BEER then THIS has got to be your no1 place on the touring Map.

Every time we go to Belgium it seems it is all Brits.... going around the tobacco, drink and chocolate shops :winky:

Now if you was to ask Which country would I prefer to tour with a MOTORHOME .....
I must say FRANCE every time...
We have been to many countries in Europe, And we have been all round England Scotland and Wales many years ago ,
Although I still love the UK where I was born,...... For touring in a Motorhome there is no contest for me when the weather is good then France is the No1 place, motorhome friendly, and geared up for Motorhomes and not costing you an arm and a leg! ..
In the winter time you have to look further south for the sun.....We have done thousands and thousands of miles touring not just a week or two and then back home to the UK....... I am hoping I know just a tiny little bit about touring, so not to be biased:winky:.....

So Jenny to answer your question am I bias...NO...not even a TAD....:thumb:
But many of my touring friends have had pink parking tickets in Belgium for being inches over a line when the wheels have been inside the line....tail out a few inches is a NO NO...I find them a bit strict..motorhome friendly no...in France..what line:winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
If you like riding Bikes then Belgium, Holland a YES YES.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mel:thumb:

Last edited:

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
I second Camping Memling in Brugge much better than the aire and around the same cost too.

It's a walk into the town, but nothing too far, just over a mile, but you can also ride along the canal into town to if you have bikes.

There was some building work of the new toilet/shower block when we went just before Christmas, but I assume this is now complete.

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
Spud'n't (Tony).......Like your Avatar........Great ....:thumb: We all have to use the lavy sometime....Good job you was there at the royal chamber with your camera at the ready:winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:......Good Yorkshire humour....love it.

Mel

60 yrs on the throne, (and still looking good, god bless her.)

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
60 yrs on the throne, (and still looking good, god bless her.)

HeHeHeHe:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I wished I look that good after a few hours on the throne:Sad::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:do you think the Queen waxes her legs or shaves them....! she is looking very smooth sat there god bless her majesty

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back