Belgium - Motorway Tolling from 2013

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by grumps147, Jan 25, 2011.

1. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I hope they plan to resurface and fill the pot holes ... worst motorways I have ever had the misfortune to use .

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Now there a frightening pointer.

Any betting the government is letting the fuel price debate wind up to a good head of steam and then "to ease the fuel burden on the low mileage road users fuel duty is to be drastically reduced and all motorways will be toll roads.

All the trials and groundwork have been done.

4. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Don't think you are far wrong there Brian, been very suspicious of the hundreds of miles of blue plastic pipes being laid down the sides of motorways recently at no doubt ENORMOUS cost

Peter

5. imprint

imprint Read Only Funster

JC : "been very suspicious of the hundreds of miles of blue plastic pipes being laid down the sides of motorways recently at no doubt ENORMOUS cost"

I agree, Peter, anyone any ideas?

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

For modern installations, a national colour coding system for buried services has been agreed by most utilities. In summary, the colours are:

Black - electricity
    Red - electricity - some high-voltage cables
    Orange - street lighting in England and Wales and traffic control cables
    Purple - road lighting in Scotland
    Blue - water
    Yellow - gas
    Grey or white - telecommunications
    Green - cable television and some telecommunications.
    This colour coding system should not be confused with the one contained in BS1710 which generally applies to above-ground services.

Updated guidance is available which outlines the dangers which can arise from work near underground services and gives advice on how to reduce the risk.

http://www.rospa.com/faqs/detail.aspx?faq=262

7. hailman

hailman Read Only Funster

My first thought when I read the thread title. It`s like being at home, here on the Isle of Wight :BigGrin:

8. AdgeRas

AdgeRas Read Only Funster

If you are talking about the british motorways, then it might be the Highways Agency's fibre network that they use for traffic management along the entire motorway network. (and the network that feeds all the electronic signs on the motorways)

I know one of the managers on the project and I have written a lot about it too for my own studies. But the cost of that project is about £415 million for establishing the network and run it for 10 years.

If you are really curious about it, more information can be found here: http://www.nao.org.uk/publications/0708/the_procurement_of_the_nationa.aspx

About the topic

I wonder if we should start going via Luxembourg when going to Denmark and enjoy the lov fuel prices there or maybe take the ferry instead of driving through the continent?

Rasmus