Beinjing and Back WE DID IT! (1 Viewer)

2escapees

Deleted User
Yes we are back home after 23 weeks of travelling. It is impossible to summarize the trip and just to say it was marvelous does not remotely do it justice! Despite obstacles such as rock falls, floods, collapsed bridges and landslides and the Chinese Government we made it to China following the northern silk road through Turkey, Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan. On this route we climbed to 4000 meters and descended to 154 meters below sea level and finally entered china through the high mountain pass where a lonely Chinese soldier stood. A few kilometers later we came to a customs post and they just did not know what to make of us and after an hour of heated discussion it was agreed that they would x-ray our dirty washing in a bag. Through floods and landslides we continued about 100 kilometers were we reached passport control and the promised health check, that meant standing in front of a machine, flashing lots of green lights, until the doctor stand we were fit? The Chinese reacting to Tibet riots and threats to the Olympic torch decided to restrict our visa to 32 days so we spent more time in Kyrgyzstan than was originally planned but that was fine. By late July we reached Beijing and the birds nest stadium which was ringed by a circle of surface to air missiles which seemed quite frightening considering it was the Olympic games that were taking place. The route home was equally demanding north to Mongolia and across the Gobi partially by train, where we stayed and slept in the camper which was violently shaken by the downhill sections of the journey; I don’t think we will try that again and rides at Disneyland or Thorpe park will seem quite timid in future.

From Mongolia we entered Siberia and faced a month long journey across Russia. Again the Russians made life difficult so we had to enter Kazakhstan for 24 hours. Roads barely exist in Siberia and are primarily sand and with endless rain they become quite interesting. I have a great picture of us when we just slid off the ”road” into the side mud. Driving finally through Belarus, Poland, Germany, Austria, and Switzerland seemed quite mild.

We saw some great sights and met great people especially in Iran, Uzbekistan and China and our preconceptions of these countries quickly changed for the better. I will post the best photos on our blog quite soon and am seriously thinking of writing a book to help others make the same journey. Back in France the weather is perfect, but the weeds have taken over much of the garden. No longer can we get a tank full of diesel for less than a Euro (Iran) but we have many new friends who are set to write and email us now we are home.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
So glad your back safely.

I can't wait to see the blogg. When you have the book send it over to here for Nikki & I to proof read.

Its so nice to see couragous people of your age not letting life's trivial things get in the way and living life as it were intended. (hope that doesn't sound ageist)

So where you off too next?:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Hi, I did wonder if you got there as I folllowed your thread before you left and now I know :Smile: What a wonderful journey your memories will last a life time:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

alan and sue

Free Member
Apr 28, 2008
Funster No
Brilliant, inspriational( may be spelt wrong but you know what we mean) and we are very envious. WELL DONE:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
One word EXCELLENT:thumb:

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Blimey. My 10 days in Wales is going to be a bit tame by your standards :thumb:

What an adventure

V

vicdicdoc

Deleted User
Makes our trip through Luxembourg to the Mosel seem like a walk in the park !
congratulations on your safe return

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Fantastic, well done both, really looking forward to reading more and seeing some pics.

Regards

Chris

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
MOAN TIME

Its ****** people like you that unfortunately spoil it for the rest of us!

You plant these sodding silling ideas in our heads ane these seeds just grow and grow until we have to do something similar.

I hope you publish more information on how this is possible and any problems you have had. We're planning a year in Europe in a FWD transit conversion, but don't think this would be suitable for more extreme routes as traction is naff so we'd get bogged down quickly and I can't imagine it liking rough roads.

Only yesterday I was looking at Unimogs and Landcruiser camping on eBay!!!

Well done :)

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
You really were brave, you have more spirit than me. On that note, I am now planning a trip to Hayling Island at the weekend and France the week after. I will then plan a weekend in Peterborough for a months time. :Eeek:

koffee

Free Member
Mar 22, 2008
Funster No
Hope...

Oh Wow,

what a great time you must have had, it's given me such hope, I want to drive to India but I have a very sceptical hubby, in fact he thinks I've completely lost it. Just wait until I show him your post. Wonderful. Look forward to the book.

Sue

OP
OP

2escapees

Deleted User
Koffee

We are already talking about our next trip and India via Iran and Pakistan are high on the agenda. It is do-able...go for it!

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Am-a-zing! What an incredible journey! Can't wait to read about it and see the photos! I can only dream, but dreams do come true....
Lucille

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Wow, well done, I love adventurous people!

Would like to see pictures etc.

I want an Unimog, in a few years time to go everywhere, may need to have a reasonable win on lottery first for the Unimog, secondly to run it.

Fantastic
Pat

Baldy

Free Member
May 8, 2008
The open road
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
officially since 22 feb 2010
Wow

Well done, you are an inspiration to 99.999999999% of us. I look forward to reading of your journey.

That is life changing stuff, well done.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back