Beginners' Metal Detecting (1 Viewer)

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
My sons, 8 and 6, want a metal detector.
Can anyone tell me if this would be suitable:

Link Removed

I did try a metal-detecting website but it was madder than discussing refilling gas bottles carried on a solar-powered A-frame over here :Eeek:

Fairly basic answers greatly appreciated....

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I did try a metal-detecting website but it was madder than discussing refilling gas bottles carried on a solar-powered A-frame over here :Eeek:

Hi

I bought one for Chaz and myself last year and after a lot of searching and looking in forums I decided to visit this store, we got great advice on what we needed and had a chance to try out the different detectors before buying..

Link Removed

I bought her this,

Link Removed

when Chaz isn't using it Jan does , it's not a toy and works very well.

The Maplins will do the job to start with, but if the bug bites you will be looking to upgrade fairly soon ..

Jim

Last edited:
OP
OP
thehutchies

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks, Jim.
I suppose I should have mentioned that OBVIOUSLY it's for the kids but it might get a little bit of Dad-use!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tony morris

Free Member
Jun 27, 2008
Calcot Reading Berkshire
Funster No
MH
bailey caravan
Exp
30 months mh 40+ years tugger and camping
Hi reference your question i have a metel detector myself paid £500 my grandson wanted one he was seven at the time went to maplin and bought him one for about £49 pounds great buy hope you will find this of some use to you tony morris

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks, Jim.
I suppose I should have mentioned that OBVIOUSLY it's for the kids but it might get a little bit of Dad-use!

Indeed.. :roflmto::roflmto:

I didn't PLAN to buy one either but when I went to the shop I got so interested I did..
it's a great way to spend the day at the beach .. we found lots of coins and WW2 small arms munitions at Mimizan Plage..

I bought this model.. Link Removed

wayfarer

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Co. Clare. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I am heading for France on the 7th and am thinking of bringing the metal detector. Are there any legal or other problems with using them there.

wayfarer

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Co. Clare. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Will probably be just beaches, no private property. I would leave it at home if I thought there would be any probs.

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Metal Detecting Club

I see there is a club in Plymouth so may look them up for advice etc. Grandson has asked to have one but dare say Grandad will be playing with it more then him!!

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
Hi
With metal detectors you face a basic chioce of buying a cheaper one and sufferening a basic lack of discrimination (how easily the unit sorts good stuff from bad stuff) which will lead to the kids getting fed up with finding rind pulls and bottle tops, and a more expensive unit that will reduce this.

The tpe of detector sold my maplin are OK but with the advances in tchnology in the past few years these are more basic than they were.

If you think its a fad then buy the cheapest and concentrate on going somewhere that you will find coins and stuff and so when beach detacting look for places where people congregate (and so lose things) like under promenades and piers.

I have been detecting about 6-7 years and still love it but you have to have an interest in histrory as you will soon get fed up of finding 2p pieces but maybe the nippers wont.

Bear in mind that people throw things awa such as silver paper from sweets and fags more than they lose money but if you and the kids are prepared to stick at it you will find tings of interest.Its like fishing really -mainly not much to report but the occasional good day.

Phill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back