Beginner Questions

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Maramike, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Maramike

Maramike Funster

I am new to this forum, and a motorhome novice.
    My wife and I are moving back to the UK later this year and looking to buy a motorhome so we can travel around looking for a property. Although there are only two of us we will be virtually living in it for a while and would not want anything too small or where we cannot walk around without the roof being raised etc. Because we are retaining as much capital as we can for a property we would have a small budget of say £10,000. I realise for that we are looking at an older model but I am hoping for a diesel in reasonable condition. Something like the attached would seem to be suitable.
    At this stage I am looking for some basic idea of running costs for maybe a 2 litre diesel for insurance/tax/mpg etc. I know these are all subject to many factors but some approx ball park figures would be useful.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

• 480.jpg
      480.jpg
      File size:
      34.9 KB
      Views:
  2. mustaphapint

mustaphapint Funster

I would budget at least £400 for insurance, (probably more if you admit you are full-timing), road tax is around £240 if under 3,500 KG, £165 if over. MPG anywhere between 18 to 25 mpg.

3. Maramike

Maramike Funster

Many thanks for the quick reply.

4. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

All good advise above but from what you have posted a pic of you are circa 3K to 5K under budget unless you are lucky
    Sub 10k will usualy get you the older square shape Talbot style cab mainly petrol again with luck a diesel
    Me? i would be doubling the budget opening up a far greater choice and market place and a very realistic chance of re selling at a profit
    even more so if your prepared to buy in Germany Holland etc you could live in luxury with realiability and make a £ or two on re sale
    10K will buy you problems at best or work in progress
    Geo
    My opinions are free and may be ignored:D
    Geo

5. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

What you buy & how much you spend may also depend on whether you intend to keep the vehicle long term or just as a temporary home.

For long term I'd be inclined to spend more & vice versa for short term ownership.

6. Motorhome Man

Motorhome Man Funster

Hi Maramike, a friend of mine has a 2002 Autotrail Mohican for sale, it is the 4 berth, with bunk over cab but that can be used for storage. He has roof mounted solar panel so is completely independant. Road Tax is £165. Look it up on the internet for more details and interior layout.If your interested pm me. Regards Luke.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016