Free Member
Mar 18, 2016
Currently Cyprus
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Prospective newbie
I am new to this forum, and a motorhome novice.
My wife and I are moving back to the UK later this year and looking to buy a motorhome so we can travel around looking for a property. Although there are only two of us we will be virtually living in it for a while and would not want anything too small or where we cannot walk around without the roof being raised etc. Because we are retaining as much capital as we can for a property we would have a small budget of say £10,000. I realise for that we are looking at an older model but I am hoping for a diesel in reasonable condition. Something like the attached would seem to be suitable.
At this stage I am looking for some basic idea of running costs for maybe a 2 litre diesel for insurance/tax/mpg etc. I know these are all subject to many factors but some approx ball park figures would be useful.
Thanks

Attachments

• 480.jpg
    480.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 23

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I would budget at least £400 for insurance, (probably more if you admit you are full-timing), road tax is around £240 if under 3,500 KG, £165 if over. MPG anywhere between 18 to 25 mpg.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Maramike

Free Member
Mar 18, 2016
Currently Cyprus
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Prospective newbie
I would budget at least £400 for insurance, (probably more if you admit you are full-timing), road tax is around £240 if under 3,500 KG, £165 if over. MPG anywhere between 18 to 25 mpg.
Many thanks for the quick reply.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
All good advise above but from what you have posted a pic of you are circa 3K to 5K under budget unless you are lucky
Sub 10k will usualy get you the older square shape Talbot style cab mainly petrol again with luck a diesel
Me? i would be doubling the budget opening up a far greater choice and market place and a very realistic chance of re selling at a profit
even more so if your prepared to buy in Germany Holland etc you could live in luxury with realiability and make a £ or two on re sale
10K will buy you problems at best or work in progress
Geo
My opinions are free and may be ignored:D
Geo

Upvote 0

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
What you buy & how much you spend may also depend on whether you intend to keep the vehicle long term or just as a temporary home.

For long term I'd be inclined to spend more & vice versa for short term ownership.

Upvote 0

Motorhome Man

Free Member
Mar 2, 2016
Upper Halling, Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Maramike, a friend of mine has a 2002 Autotrail Mohican for sale, it is the 4 berth, with bunk over cab but that can be used for storage. He has roof mounted solar panel so is completely independant. Road Tax is £165. Look it up on the internet for more details and interior layout.If your interested pm me. Regards Luke.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back