Before'n'after Rust treatment...anyone had experience?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Gary217, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Gary217

Gary217 Funster

Hi - sadly I spotted just the beginnings of surface rust on one box section at the bottom of the engine bay on our Transit based van (I know, I know...our fault for buying a Transit...).

I've come across a firm called 'Before'n'After' that does some strange advertising but has been going for years - I have a land rover and they've advertised for years in the LR mags, and reviews for land rovers seem positive. They do rustproofing for motorhomes as well as shown on this link
    http://www.before-n-after.co.uk/whyrustproof.htm

It's not cheap at £350 plus VAT but if it solves my problems by inhibiting the rust for a few years it's money well spent. So, the question is has anyone on here used them for their motorhome and if so pleased or not?

Thanks!

Edit - I've just found a company called Rustbusters based in Poole - much nearer to us, so same question...anyone used them and if so pleased or not? Thanks again

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Personally I would not use BeforenAfter, but only because recently they threatened to sue me over a review of their service here.

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Gary217

Gary217 Funster

Can I ask where I might find your review? (actually now you've said this I recall seeing something adverse a long time ago about the owner elsewhere in the land rover world)

4. pyro

pyro Funster

As I'm sure the review was objective and truthful, then I have to say that their reaction is sufficient cause not to use their services

• Like Like x 1
  5. Baileysbus

Baileysbus Funster

6. Gary217

Gary217 Funster

Very true...and Jim's reply did make me think that too, plus it triggered something from the past that I recall reading about the chap running beforenafter getting upset with someone but I can't remember the details.

My main reason for asking if the review is available was to understand the problems Jim had because if I do go ahead with considering this treatment, say using the people in Poole, it would be useful to know the things to look out for/ask them - at the moment I don't have much knowledge of these treatments to distinguish good providers from bad and if they told me they do good coverage I'm not able to challenge and be convinced. It's not a cheap process and I don't want to effectively waste my money. However, if the review was causing issues I guess it might have disappeared.

7. Gary217

Gary217 Funster

Thanks Bailey - certainly would be a more economic solution, but my concern would be doing an effective application under the van if I was to try it myself. There's no way I can safely raise the van at home to get underneath.

8. Bellini

Bellini Funster

I've not used Before n' After, but have seen the various responses of the owner on numerous Land Rover forums as well and wouldn't use them because of it.

Additionally, I've found newer products other than Waxoyl are far, far better. I'm a huge fan of Dinitrol and wouldn't touch Waxoyl these days.

Find another company who cleans, dries and fills the chassis, door, etc cavities properly. A cheap job isn't worth anything, so invest your money with a trusted company.

9. johnandi

johnandi Funster

I had our Fiat Ducato based van rust proofed a couple of years ago. Had quotes off 'professional' company based outside Manchester who wanted £600.
    Eventually a local HGV mechanic who has his own huge garage/workshop did the job for us using Waxoyl. The cost of the product is minimal - and although it's supposedly a really messy undesirable job, the mechanic wasn't deterred. Total cost was about £250 I seem to remember.
    I'd consider this option if you can find a knowledgeable person with facilities to apply the product (Waxoyl or Dinitrol).

John

10. chaser

chaser Funster

Waxoyl is simple on a motorhome, most of the underneath is wood so only have to do the chassis rails and outriggers, and mounts and stuff, a gallon of waxoyl is about twenty quid , and if you have a proper sprayer thing it's not messy at all, simples.

• Like Like x 1
  11. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

Old used engine oil from a petrol engine is all you need, sprayed on once a year and then allowed to stand in a little used place for the excess to run off, after all, you never see any rust underneath a vehicle with an oil leak do you!

• Like Like x 2