Beeswax and White Spirit

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by emmitdb, Nov 10, 2014.

1. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Greetings from not so sunny Spain (Blanes, where the current temp is about 15 and raining)

The bloke who checked tosee if we had any knives on board??? before we caught the ferry was a motorhomer as it turned out.
    He told me that, in orderto keep the roof of his van in good condition, he had melted a block of beeswax in a quantity of white spirit and applied it to his newly washed roof.
    He reckoned it kept the roof free of the green stuff.
    The obvious question comes. Has anyone else tried this and if so, in what quantities. Second question. Supposedly the beeswax has to be melted by applying heat to the white spirit. How is that sdone in safety cos 'her indoors has already told me that the microwave is off limits for the exercise, on pain of losing my very tarnished jewels.

2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

mmmmm carnuba wax yes, its what some vehicles used to be shipped coated in to protect the paint. beeswax will attract the dirt and in a hot environment will melt and pool on the roof or run down the windows. plus it would be awkward to remove

3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

This is the traditional recipe for wax polish although linseed oil is often added as well. Best done by floating the pot in a waterbath on the stove - but I would use an electric stove not a gas one for obvious reasons.

Your are supposed to use pure turpentine, not white spirit although the later is supposed to work just as well according to some. It is possible it is what is in the white spirit which keeps the mould at bay, otherwise all this does is applies a wax coating, which probably also keeps the mould away!

You can google for recipes. For harder polishes add things like Carnauba wax to the mix.

4. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Is it not going to damage the van using white spirit or turpentine on the van's bodywork albeit the roof?

• Like Like x 1
  5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. bungy

bungy Funster

used to be used to polish the metal surfaces on planes...but that was done regulary so not sure about long term protection

I think it needs regular maintenance to keep it spick and span

7. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

white spirit or turpentine will dissolve the mastic the van is assembled with, but will evaporate quickly enough, leaving just a thin coat of wax

my preference for many years has been to use MER, which is a silicon resin. gives a glass like shine that dirt and water cant stick to

• Like Like x 1
  8. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

I think MER used to be in blue bottle got some MER in a black plastic bottle and it's terrible stuff to polish off, back to Autoglym.

9. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

You can buy ready made wax polishes for vehicles but they take an enormous amount of elbow grease to get a shine.

I am not convinced there is any shortcut to just getting up and washing then polishing the roof to remove not just mould but also bird droppings and, if you have one, cleaning the solar panel plus of course the roof lights.

10. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

As a point of trivia, if you mix beeswax 50:50 with tree resin you get prehistoric Araldite. It's how they secured stone spearheads and arrowheads to wooden shafts thousands of years ago, and it's very solid stuff.

Makes me wonder what might happen if you went a bit mad with the beeswax on the MH roof then parked under a pine tree somewhere hot.

• Like Like x 2
  11. WAG2CRU

WAG2CRU Read Only Funster

If you want to wax the roof, I would suggest Colonite 476, a detergent proof wax which lasts very well and gives a fab shine!
    I use it on my cars especially for winter protection.
    Colonite also make a product called Fleet wax which is used on aircraft but, I found it difficult to polish off.

• Like Like x 1
  12. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Ok....curiosity got the better of me.

Why would someone check your van for KNIVES before boarding a ferry?

• Like Like x 2
  13. chaser

chaser Funster

Me too,

14. movan

He was keeping them occupied, John, whilst his mates got in position by the exhaust pipe underneath..

• Like Like x 1
  15. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

any tips for an alternative to shop bought back to black?

16. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Peanut butter has been recommended on here before.

17. movan

Someone told me simple Olive oil once for my car bumper, but it was ok.. made it shiny but didn't cover any marks.

18. grasscutter

grasscutter Funster Life Member

Did they also dip your tank to make sure you did not have more than 100ml of liquid on board. :whistle2:

19. FJmike

FJmike Funster

To me bees wax and white spirit sounds like a recipe to wreck your van, what happens when it runs down the sides?, maybe the white spirit will lift the graphics??.As others have said its far better to give your roof a coating of good quality wax (not just polish). For those that are worried about having a green roof ( algae), it doesn't in itself cause any harm BUT it will encourage black moss to grow which can be serious if left for too long. I clean motorhomes and caravans for a living (thats me in my avatar) so have seen some horrors where owners have used materials that are not suitable or damage the van so perhaps the best thing to remember is to use products for the purpose that it is sold.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

Mike, what would you recommend to wash the van and polish or wax it with (grp)?

Sorry for the hijac.