Been To The NEC Show ? What's New? (1 Viewer)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Staying at the Royal court hotel tonigh ready for our visit tomorrow, popped into Coventry for a Indian meal and have to say nicest one I've ever had.

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
What are the accessories stalls like ? Ya know gear and stuff ?
If there ain't kit to mooch through I ain't going . Not much inspiration reading this thread !!!!
Not much discount for the show

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
I looked a round twice and never saw half of it, very difficult to actually know where you have been or not been.
I went to look at the Hymer ML-i and when I tried to get a salesman he said sorry I am from goldshitt springs and there was no others, the seemed to all be over at the N&B stand trying to sell to millionaires, Pilote were easier to talk to and the Carthago man explained about the discount business and how a factory order was how it was done for delivery next June. They all talk delivery dates in 6-8 months.
If I sell Gertie the van I need something sooner than that to replace her and I want the cash in hand to haggle with. So I will look around at January after Xmas when poverty rules and the snow blows through the showrooms. Or it might still be Germany, but I drive in the UK mostly even living in Dover.
The German manufacturers will do UK spec

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
I imagine they would replace all the bits that were knicked over the week, a grand not much though all the same. Don't think it would tempt me to let a 1000 strangers tramp through my new van.

Martin
Not a cat in h.lls chance I would go for that, wonder if they didn't know?

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
We drove up to NEC from Brighton area today. good journey took 2 1/2 hours each way.
Lots to see and investigate. Wifey bought a soup maker so guess what we'll be eating for the next month! :rolleyes:

The only funster badge I saw was pinned to @eddievanbitz but he was busy being helpful to a customer so didn't get the chance to introduce myself. " Hi Eddie! " :hi:
All in all a good time was had. It was fun. :D
My friend got the soup maker last year for £10 less than this year.

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
We just got some chips and a cup of tea. Couldn't really mess that up. There was nobody clearing the tables they were filthy and it wasn't even busy. I went and got a bin bag and put it on one of the queue posts so that people could dump their rubbish.
We don't do exhibitions very well in this country!

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Forgot to say i was very impressed with the Frankia 640 SD :) perfect layout for us and good storage. Didn't like the runner for the table, but salesmen explained could specify a pedestal table or no table. The runners would be a nightmare to keep clean and horrible to walk on. Was that designed by a male engineer? :)

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
My friend got the soup maker last year for £10 less than this year.

We bought the soup maker last year, a good price and we were really excited by it.
Some time in the next year we might actually get round to making some soup in it!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Forgot to say i was very impressed with the Frankia 640 SD :) perfect layout for us and good storage. Didn't like the runner for the table, but salesmen explained could specify a pedestal table or no table. The runners would be a nightmare to keep clean and horrible to walk on. Was that designed by a male engineer? :)
The worst piece of design I saw (can't remember which van it was on) was a pair of 240v sockets positioned so that the cables to anything plugged in would pass right over the gas hob :doh:

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The new trends seemed to longitudinal drop down beds, (burstner, dethleffs, pilote lv, chausson....) remote controlled heating systems and 4x4 which looked good.

Thankfully, saw nothing to tempt us, well apart from cheese.

Lynd57

Free Member
Aug 5, 2015
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 2015
What a great show really enjoyed NEC and easy walk to the Halls from the campsite. I think the RS Elysian was easily my favorite beautifully fitted out, with the Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F a close second. I think a lottery win this Wednesday might be the answer.
Lots of accessory stands, happy faces, full shopping bags and empty wallets. Definitely worth the trip next year.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Agree that the Show had lots of happy people so a really good atmosphere & lots of chatting :). Even the NEC staff appeared genuinely friendly & happy - NEC is probably a good employer for that area. The food is not so good so we went prepared but the option to take the short monorail trip to the airport seemed a popular one as lots of people sat around consuming goodies from M&S Food bags. We felt that the Show was run well & plenty to keep us busy (for 2 days :whistle:) with more & new accessory stands compared to last year but for anyone looking for big innovations in motorhomes there weren't many major changes that we spotted. The drop down beds behind the cab (Chausson) were interesting, amazing that Mototrek had a whole load of slide-out motorhomes considering its poor track record with supplying even one model previously, disappointing that quality brand Globecar were tucked away in a corner with only a few motorhomes on display. The best news for buyers was that the prices had definitely dropped since last year on German motorhomes whilst Adria & Benimar kept theirs high. There seemed to be plenty selling as salespeople mostly sat with potential buyers rather than around the stock on display & that was the same all day Friday & Saturday!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
On the Hymer stand I was told that all the Hymers on the show stand were customer orders. I asked if they get a discount if the van is showed. He said 'Oh Yes' as if it was loads off. I asked roughly how much and he said it could be as much as £1000! That didn't sound a lot to me on a 70k/90k van.

Ha ha ha...next time wear ear plugs dont waste your time listening to these lying nonsense's:)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Agree that the Show had lots of happy people so a really good atmosphere & lots of chatting :). Even the NEC staff appeared genuinely friendly & happy - NEC is probably a good employer for that area. The food is not so good so we went prepared but the option to take the short monorail trip to the airport seemed a popular one as lots of people sat around consuming goodies from M&S Food bags. We felt that the Show was run well & plenty to keep us busy (for 2 days :whistle:) with more & new accessory stands compared to last year but for anyone looking for big innovations in motorhomes there weren't many major changes that we spotted. The drop down beds behind the cab (Chausson) were interesting, amazing that Mototrek had a whole load of slide-out motorhomes considering its poor track record with supplying even one model previously, disappointing that quality brand Globecar were tucked away in a corner with only a few motorhomes on display. The best news for buyers was that the prices had definitely dropped since last year on German motorhomes whilst Adria & Benimar kept theirs high. There seemed to be plenty selling as salespeople mostly sat with potential buyers rather than around the stock on display & that was the same all day Friday & Saturday!
I think you get a completely different take on a show when you can pop in and out over more than one day. It's certainly more relaxed & I know that's one of the reasons we enjoyed Malvern so much recently.
Might look at doing that next year.....:)

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
, amazing that Mototrek had a whole load of slide-out motorhomes considering its poor track record with supplying even one model previously,

They have never had a problem with getting vans to shows and enticing the unwary (I know from experience), its just in the fulfilling of all the promises after the show is where the problems start.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think you get a completely different take on a show when you can pop in and out over more than one day. It's certainly more relaxed & I know that's one of the reasons we enjoyed Malvern so much recently.
Might look at doing that next year.....:)
Next time we go (whether it be next year or in a few years) I think we'll go over 2 or 3 days as there is a heck of a lot to see in just one day. Seeing some posts yesterday and today got me thinking "never saw them" :D
The new trends seemed to longitudinal drop down beds, (burstner, dethleffs, pilote lv, chausson....) remote controlled heating systems and 4x4 which looked good.

Thankfully, saw nothing to tempt us, well apart from cheese.
The preponderance of drop down beds, in combination with fixed beds, put me off a number of vans. We have a fixed bed with the option of making one up from the dinette but only use the former as we are only two people and like to go to bed and get up at different times so being able to use both the seating area and bed at the same time is important. A second bed which is a drop down bed instead of made up from the seats is just taking up payload for us :)

Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
We went on Thursday it didn't seem as busy as it had been in previous years, got what we wanted by way of a few accessories, felt bit disappointed after buying a vac 1000 for £40 to find it online for £35! We ate in wether spoons had a dried up full English, it filled a hole!

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
We really enjoyed the show this year.

I think what made it was all the good natured and friendly banter amongst the show goers.

Picked up a Garmin Camper at a decent price and some mirror guards along with a few assorted cleaning fluids.

The flip side was we stayed at the Premier Inn and had one of the worst meals we've ever had that also wasn't served until 10pm

Had a couple of days in the Peak District on the way home which was really good too!

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We went on Thursday it didn't seem as busy as it had been in previous years, got what we wanted by way of a few accessories, felt bit disappointed after buying a vac 1000 for £40 to find it online for £35! We ate in wether spoons had a dried up full English, it filled a hole!

Lol yes we bought that and fell for the half price banter! Just a few mins later hubby says oh look they are £35 online doh! Can't see anywhere on his site to fill in guarantee! Tried it out today and it work ok, but don't think I could use it in the van too noisy and no amps on the device assume 13a!

Oh well the show wouldn't be the same if we didn't buy some tat:). Got the grater one year even bought 2 , Cleaning stuff and shammeys - all rubbish :)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Had a nice walk round today and a wee look in the same model as the one we have ordered, also popped round to see @eddievanbitz and family. Even disturbed them at their breakfast :DSpoke with Ash (hope that's right) and James very helpful and friendly guys even told me not to buy certain things until I've had the van a while rather than waste money.
After have
I got a chat with Eddie (didn't mention the rugby ) I have booked the new van in for some work even though I don't know when I'm getting it :D.

We also had a look in all the other PVC's and still feel we have picked the best one to suit us, as some of you might be aware we have ordered ours from Germany, we have ordered a RHD UK spec van loaded with extras and spoke with some dealers today who I must admit where very pleasant and informative just far to expensive.

We didn't buy any accessories but had a good look round at what we might want/need in the future.

Then to cap a great day I got done for speeding, just turned off the motorway and about a mile later when I was still doing a little over 70 I got caught and hit with a £100 fine and 3 points what a dick. That's me not the police.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Saw that stall. My comment to Jill was that there was no price shown - which normally tends to mean they daren't show it as it is more than it is worth :D

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
It was our first visit this year and we enjoyed the day. As we've just bought a s/h MH I was more interested in accessories than looking at the new models, but it's useful to see new what we may be able to afford s/h in a few years time. Most expensive purchase was a Garmin, but we did buy several bits and pieces as well as collecting dozens of catalogues and joining BritStop.

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
This was our second year this year, we didn't look around the whole of the show this time as we knew wanted to look at. Namely fridges, toilets, heating systems etc. This is for a van conversion we are doing.

We also needed to take lots of measurements!

I didn't think it seemed too busy, there were the odd bottleneck here and there but nothing too extreme. We did think we would be able to make some purchases but didn't end up spending much at all. £20 on some trolley shopping bags!!

It was ok for a change, got most of the info we needed and it was nice to see some of the higher priced items like the fridge in the flesh instead of just ordering on-line and hoping for the best.

Kids got a bit bored in the end though and were trying to take people out with their free beach balls :rollingeyes:

(oh and we took a packed lunch - lesson from last year, this was part demolished before we even got into the halls. What is it with packed lunches and the need to eat it straight away??!!)

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Oh I forgot to say, we weren't quite sure how we were going to get 3 belted seats in the back. Found a solution to that problem at the show as well!

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
We really enjoyed the show yesterday. Next time we will do two days. We didn't quite manage to see all that we wanted. Only just bought first MH so we were going for accessories etc. joined britstop and motor caravanners clubs and got info on electric bikes AS bikes seemed quite good. Anyone got one of their bikes? Went to weatherspoons and had beef chilli and rice it was fine but saw others with fish n chips that looked dried up and horrible. Perhaps take our own lunch next time or better still stay on the campsite do two days and nip back every now and then.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We bought a few years back a folding bike from AS, one if their own. It was excellent very well made. :). Sold it when we switched from caravan to MH as daughter had grown out of riding bikes on campsites.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Talk to @lennyhb re foli, he bought recently on line from Germany I think? He is travelling back from Greece at the moment so may not see this...
I paid £186 inc. delivery for 2 sets (will do 2 singles or a double), brought them from German dealer via his French eBay listing (£20 cheaper than German listing) cheapest price in UK at the time was £270.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back