Been Offered A Reasonable Price For My Van In Cash !! (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sounds like a scam to me nobody offers full price without seeing the van or haggling hard for a lower price, don't be surprised if he comes back and asks you to open a Paypal account to which he will pay the money that's the common scam.

With the "Faster Payment" system bank transfers are safe these days they can't recall the money, but if you are worried once payment is received transfer it to another account.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Sounds like a scam to me nobody offers full price without seeing the van or haggling hard for a lower price, don't be surprised if he comes back and asks you to open a Paypal account to which he will pay the money that's the common scam.

With the "Faster Payment" system bank transfers are safe these days they can't recall the money, but if you are worried once payment is received transfer it to another account.
thanks for the info, how does the new paypal scam work ? do they try and reclaim the money ??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
All this advice (good as it is) about taking the buyer to the bank presumes that you still have a bank anywhere near you and that they will be open, most buyers I would think will use weekends to collect due to work

I sold a MH for £24K 2 years ago and had exactly this fear, mine went by bank transfer in the end, much as many will not like the idea, selling / buying through a dealer does remove this part of the problem (y)

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
All this advice (good as it is) about taking the buyer to the bank presumes that you still have a bank anywhere near you and that they will be open, most buyers I would think will use weekends to collect due to work

I sold a MH for £24K 2 years ago and had exactly this fear, mine went by bank transfer in the end, much as many will not like the idea, selling / buying through a dealer does remove this part of the problem (y)
yes this is true, and I think some banks (all ??) electronic transfer systems are closed over the weekend so this could cause a problem. my bank is 24 hours telephone support also so my plan was to ring them after the transfer.

I am pretty sure this guy has his own timetable for getting rid of the cash as he is insisting we do a cash deal (without seeing the van) by tonight.

I would dearly love to do a px with a dealer but so far I have been offered about half of the vans book value.......which to my mind is a bit greedy and I have mentally told them to stick it and expose myself to the baying wolf pack of private sales :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
is that the standard for banks now or a special request ???

It's the standard for transfers you do yourself i.e. via internet banking, as far as I know. You will have a daily limit on how much you can transfer in total. I think for my bank it's £25k but I'm sure they all vary a bit.

For large amounts you can request a CHAPS payment that is same day but that involves going into a branch and signing forms and paying a fee.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
thanks for the info, how does the new paypal scam work ? do they try and reclaim the money ??
What happens is, the buyer will say that he has paid the money into PayPal, and you will receive a very convincing email from PayPal stating that the money is being held in escrow. The buyer will make up some excuse that you have to send some money to them to release the funds.
Anyway, long story short, PayPal do not offer an escrow service, the email is a fraud, if you examine the header, it usually comes from an African country beginning with an 'N'.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Transfer limits depend on the bank, when I sold my van the buyer transferred £36k from their Sandander instantly via their phone. When I paid for the new van I transferred the money to the exchange company (paying in Euro) from a Nationwide account they have a £10k per transaction limit, I just did multiple transactions one after the other.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I'd be very wary someone wanting to pay cash without even seeing my Motorhome.
I know you want to sell, but it sounds dodgy to me.
If they insisted paying cash I'd arrange with them to go with me to the bank whilst they count and check it.
When we sold ours a couple of months ago the buyers did a bank transfer. From their bank online by phone , in two separate transactions. Sending £10 from each account first , then checking with us if it went in before sending the thousands through. Scary stuff, but Much better IMO.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I'd be very wary someone wanting to pay cash without even seeing my Motorhome.
I know you want to sell, but it sounds dodgy to me.
If they insisted paying cash I'd arrange with them to go with me to the bank whilst they count and check it.
When we sold ours a couple of months ago the buyers did a bank transfer. From their bank online by phone , in two separate transactions. Sending £10 from each account first , then checking with us if it went in before sending the thousands through. Scary stuff, but Much better IMO.
That's good advice !

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Have done cash deals like your potential one a few times and most of the above is correct - going to the bank before transfer etc.

Another 'feature' of the 'Ill buy it for your cash price' is one of a very strong bartering position. Most people have never seen as much cash as your potentially asking for your MoHo, and when that gets spread across the floor - some (if not most) forget the item for sale and a little 'softness' comes into the dealing. If someone sees 20K in cash on the floor of their room a few grand less doesn't look that much as the pile is still there... 'Flashing the cash' as it's known is a very powerful tool in the armoury of a buyer,,,,, especially if one has to sell for some reason or another.

However, it is amazing how many people do actually buy without seeing first - my last MoHo sold like that - they turned up after transferring the money into my account and drove off happy as Larry after - so they do actually exist.

Good luck with your sale though.

Regards,

Trikeman.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
If you do a CHAPS payment, it is almost instant and CAN'T BE STOPPED once done. I know this having recently bought our new home this way.
Cheers, Dave(y)

redjohn151

Free Member
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer b534
Exp
I'm a newbie
Bought my hymer without viewing £14000
Either crazy or lucky

But happy

I researched the dealer first

Well pleased with it

Although it wasn't a cash deal.

John

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
If some one is going to spend 20k or 30k on a MH im sure they would be willing to take a day off work during the week to pay and collect it, i know i would

I have bought and sold vehicles with fair amounts of cash involved each time and never had a problem, well only once when the buyer tried it on for a 300 quid discount until i counted it and put him straight on his error :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back