Been having great time in 1994 fiat hymer but (1 Viewer)

Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Hi all , been having a great time in our hymer ( 1994fiat ducato )but on last trip when I put indicator on left turn the flasher relay got got and blew the fuse (same if I put hazards on ) right turn is ok , is it common for the problem to be indicator stalk , if so how do I get the funny shape nut with flat edge off to get steering wheel removed , any other possible causes appreciated , thanks in advance ,can tell its mot time early sept lol , nunny,

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I would not start fault finding with the stalk. Initially I would remove both left hand indicator bulbs and see what happens when you set stalk as if turning left (with ignition on and new fuse inserted).

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Cheers will the light on dash still illuminate if I remove bulbs then test , will try tomorrow after work and report back

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Yes the dash lamp should illuminate but not flash. I recommended starting at the bulb end of the circuits for two reasons. It is the easiest part to check and I had a similar situation a few years ago caused by corrosion on the bub cap.
Do you have a multi-tester to help undertake further tests?

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Yes I have multi meter to aid in checking , is it continuity I need to set it on ?thanks guys

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Hi Nunny, if the wiring is the same layout as my 1991 Hymer there are 2 junction boxes underneath near the rear axle. both mine had lost the lids and the wiring junction, just chocolate blocks, was completely corroded.

I replaced the boxes for new with watertight grommets, replaced the chocolate blocks and had my indicators back on line.

Total cost around 15 quid, the bloke at the garage quoted me around 140 quid as he needed to replace all the connector blocks apparently. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Don't forget to take picture of each one before you remove the blocks.

Hymie.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i would say its a short in the wiring, not a stalk issue. as above start at rear light and check/repair all joints and the bulb

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Hi Nunny, if the wiring is the same layout as my 1991 Hymer there are 2 junction boxes underneath near the rear axle. both mine had lost the lids and the wiring junction, just chocolate blocks, was completely corroded.

I replaced the boxes for new with watertight grommets, replaced the chocolate blocks and had my indicators back on line.

Total cost around 15 quid, the bloke at the garage quoted me around 140 quid as he needed to replace all the connector blocks apparently. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Don't forget to take picture of each one before you remove the blocks.

Hymie.
I have one box as you state underneath on Friday when I had drove in rain I took cover off the box and it was full of water , the wiring was connected with plastic block connector and spades ,

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
I have one box as you state underneath on Friday when I had drove in rain I took cover off the box and it was full of water , the wiring was connected with plastic block connector and spades ,

sounds like the seat of your problem to me, good luck.

got my boxes and grommets from Amazon.

Hymie

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
So I didn't get round to doing anything last night as my dad got rushed into hospital , had a look this morning , undid and put new connectors to the left side box under and to rear of hymer , removed all indicator bulbs to left , right indicators work and dash lite is bright , left side dash lite is dull ( even with bulbs in too ) , and flasher relay gets red hot ( melting hot ) with bulbs in and without bulbs in ,

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Sorry to hear about your Dad, wish him a speedy recovery.

Are you sure about only one box underneath?

On mine each side is fed independently from the respective front side.

Hymie

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
No theirs two , one on right and one on left , but didn't bother doing anything to right side as the problems left indicators .should I re new connectors in right box too you reckon . Thanks

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
If the box has leaked you are storing up problems for later, so I would do it while you have decent weather rather than possibly in the dead of winter.

Hymie.

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Noticed if I push indicator stalk slight forward while on left indicator sometimes the dash light lights up as bright as right one dash display , but only for one flash ,

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Awaiting another flasher unit 4 pin as I think the new one I purchased after first one melted before fuse blew is now duff as buzzes when on left turn , works on right turn , Perrys in Huddersfield charged me 40 pound for the 4 pin relay , but if a rip off , so looking elsewhere

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Well had another look at motorhome indicators today , replaced all bulbs , tool spare wheel off from under bonnet , see if I could see anything , sprayed electrical cleaner on hazard switch connector , and relay connector , tried indicators , they worked , dash light was lit up as bright on left side as right , great I thought , put all covers back tested again , back to how it was , removed all covers still same fault , looks like it's a job for expensive auto electrician now , totally fried my tiny brain lol , thank you for everyone's input ,

ThePeltonian

Free Member
Jun 29, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
1994 Hymer 654
Exp
Since 2001
did you get this sorted buddy?

I had an issue with brake lights not working.. went through loads of stuff and they just started working again lol

Same year hymer as yours...

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Called auto electrician , turns out I had a wrongly wired ( from factory ) connector under bonnet , £70 quid well spent , use of never found it lol

ThePeltonian

Free Member
Jun 29, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
1994 Hymer 654
Exp
Since 2001
@nunny666 which auto electrician did you use? am having issues with my headlights lol.. no low beam :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back