Beddgelert

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by Julia, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Julia

Julia Funster

Hi all - I'm travelling from Chirk to Beddgelert Camping in the Forest at the end of the month and wondered which was the best route. A5 to Bala, A4212 onto A470 & A487, right at Tremadog onto A498 and then left onto A4085 in Beddgelert, which means I have to go over narrow bridge - OR - A55 N.Wales Expressway onto A487 at Caernarfon, then south on the A4085. Anybody been there ? I don't think it is wise to go via Capel Curig, the roads are very narrow, OK in the car but not in the motorhome. I'd be very grateful for your thoughts.

Thanks - Julia

2. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Does the site's website give any advice on best approach? I went there in either 2012 or 13 but cannot remember which route I took. Don't remember any problems getting there though.
    It's a lovely campsite, their showers a bit basic but in such a beautiful area.

3. movan

movan Funster Life Member

No help to you ... but I am jealous. I love it there .. feels really spiritual in places. X

• Like Like x 1
  4. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

The roads are narrow but not busy, so not a problem.

5. brianju

brianju Funster

Last summer we drove from Porthmadog to Anglesey via the A498 to Beddgelert and the A4085 to Caernarfon. The A498 to Beddgelert is winding and narrow in parts with dry stone walls along some of the way. We had no problems, just take your time it is a very pretty area.
    If it is the bridge in Beddgelert which might be of concern, then don't worry it's not that narrow.
    The A4085 has some narrow stretches too with some pinch points ... dry stone walls along the way, but once again perfectly doable and the scenery is fantastic!
    Enjoy your holiday :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Our MH is 7m long with bikes on the back. We've driven it on most of the A roads around Beddgelert a number of times and have had no problem. Tight in a few places yes, but not impassable. It's the A496 from Maentwrog to Harlech that can tests the nerves a bit, but even that's possible. The Bala route is far more picturesque than the North Wales expressway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Julia

Julia Funster

Thanks for the replies. Now I know I can get over the bridge I'll go the way that I know via Tremadog. I'm not quite so brave now that I'm travelling on my own, so wanted to be sure I wouldn't get stuck ! (y)