Julia

Free Member
Apr 22, 2016
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi all - I'm travelling from Chirk to Beddgelert Camping in the Forest at the end of the month and wondered which was the best route. A5 to Bala, A4212 onto A470 & A487, right at Tremadog onto A498 and then left onto A4085 in Beddgelert, which means I have to go over narrow bridge - OR - A55 N.Wales Expressway onto A487 at Caernarfon, then south on the A4085. Anybody been there ? I don't think it is wise to go via Capel Curig, the roads are very narrow, OK in the car but not in the motorhome. I'd be very grateful for your thoughts.

Thanks - Julia

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Does the site's website give any advice on best approach? I went there in either 2012 or 13 but cannot remember which route I took. Don't remember any problems getting there though.
It's a lovely campsite, their showers a bit basic but in such a beautiful area.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
No help to you ... but I am jealous. I love it there .. feels really spiritual in places. X

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
The roads are narrow but not busy, so not a problem.

brianju

Free Member
Sep 18, 2007
Hampshire Hogs now in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
A class 1991 Hymer B544
Exp
10yrs ish - US 5th Wheel/US RV/Eurovan
Hi all - I'm travelling from Chirk to Beddgelert Camping in the Forest at the end of the month and wondered which was the best route. A5 to Bala, A4212 onto A470 & A487, right at Tremadog onto A498 and then left onto A4085 in Beddgelert, which means I have to go over narrow bridge - OR - A55 N.Wales Expressway onto A487 at Caernarfon, then south on the A4085. Anybody been there ? I don't think it is wise to go via Capel Curig, the roads are very narrow, OK in the car but not in the motorhome. I'd be very grateful for your thoughts.

Thanks - Julia

Last summer we drove from Porthmadog to Anglesey via the A498 to Beddgelert and the A4085 to Caernarfon. The A498 to Beddgelert is winding and narrow in parts with dry stone walls along some of the way. We had no problems, just take your time it is a very pretty area.
If it is the bridge in Beddgelert which might be of concern, then don't worry it's not that narrow.
The A4085 has some narrow stretches too with some pinch points ... dry stone walls along the way, but once again perfectly doable and the scenery is fantastic!
Enjoy your holiday :)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Our MH is 7m long with bikes on the back. We've driven it on most of the A roads around Beddgelert a number of times and have had no problem. Tight in a few places yes, but not impassable. It's the A496 from Maentwrog to Harlech that can tests the nerves a bit, but even that's possible. The Bala route is far more picturesque than the North Wales expressway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Julia

Julia

Free Member
Apr 22, 2016
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for the replies. Now I know I can get over the bridge I'll go the way that I know via Tremadog. I'm not quite so brave now that I'm travelling on my own, so wanted to be sure I wouldn't get stuck ! (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back