Bed Rams fixed but damaged the table

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Forestboy, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Good News
    Changed the two hydraulic rams on my overcab bed, its now perfect, bit of a fiddly job but not that difficult to do.

Bad News
    Whilst changing the rams dropped the hammer and now have a hole the size of a 50p in the table top :swear2::swear2:. Gonna cover it in a piece of gaffa tape and hope Jan doesn't see it or I'll have a hole the same size in my forehead. :Eeek:

Does anyone know of a way to repair these as we already had a couple of small dents which were hardly worth the bother but now it'll need doing.
    Thanks (y)(y)

2. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I have just filled a much smaller hole in mine (dropped a book corner-down from the overhead locker).
    I used ColorFill which is available in many shades (but not in local DIY sheds - they only stock a very few). For a hole the size you describe, you would need to build it up carefully with several layers.

Here is the Colorfill website: http://www.colorfill.co.uk/index.php In the 'Buy' tab there is an option to 'find my colorfill' which starts a colour matching wizard. Once you have the right shade, take the reference number than you need a supplier.
    This is the Ebay shop I used:http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Endeavour-...9982010&_sid=1158671950&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

N.B. you need to get solvent too - that is not available separately in local stores so buy a bottle online. I'm not sure if the Ebay shop above sells it so I bought mine here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400702923...49&var=670249177417&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Also, of course, the repair will be a single colour, not mottled like the original Hymer top. I think the only way to overcome that problem is to cover the whole table with a new sheet of laminate, but that is unlikely to match the rest of the surfaces in the van.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Plumberman

Plumberman Read Only Funster

Hi Forestboy,
    Glad to hear you've repaired your bed but a tad unfortunate you dropped the hammer.
    The only product I know of is colour seal , I think that's the name,and it is used to seal butt and scribe joints on kitchen work top joints to make them waterproof.
    B&Q have it on the shelf in a wide range of colours.
    Hope this helps, good luck with Jan when she finds out.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Plumberman

Whoops,JeanLuc beat me to it.

5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Talking of whoops, what is your avatar picture ?

6. bungy

bungy Funster

of all the things that could end your time on this earth....who'd have thought a 50p sized hole in a table would be the catalyst!!!

Id wish you a swift end to the inevitable pain, but alas, i very much doubt Jan will be merciful

you could cover it with a nice table cloth...thatll impress her:clap2:...but dont say your discovering your feminine side as i suspect the end result will be the same as just owning up...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Plumberman

Hi Hilldweller,the avatar is screen shot from the film RV with Robin Williams,and is the bit where he leaves his handbrake off and rolls into a lake.

8. Forestboy

Knew I could rely on you for good advise, but don't worry matey I'll pay you back Sunday if I can still walk.

9. Forestboy

Thats brilliant thanks (y)

10. rosierose

rosierose Funster

We used this company, on a repair to a speckled worktop in a hire motorhome. Couldn't see the repair at all and the owner was over the moon with it (thankfully). National coverage and when we phoned, they were out within 2 hours.
    http://www.plastic-surgeon.co.uk/surface/laminate-repair/

• Like Like x 2
  11. Forestboy

Thanks

• Like Like x 1