Bed decision

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Gillus, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Gillus

Gillus Funster

Hi all

Opinions please. We are still looking for a Motorhome. We originally thought we wanted an overhead bed so we didn't have to make a bed every night. We use to have a small vw camper and the bed making use to do my back in and it was a pain to do anything else once the bed was down. Which do you all prefer, is it easier to make up beds or are we better looking at the fixed ones? Any particular motorhomes you would recommend with easy bed making (my only other stipulation is that it has an oven)
    Any advice welcome

2. MikeD

MikeD Funster

We use a pair of duvalay's in the new motorhome. Takes just a few moments to set up and put away. (y)

Pain to store though - lol

• Like Like x 1
  3. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

The first time we hired one it had an over cab bed. That was the one any only time! We both said never again.

Our current van has a fixed island bed at the rear and that's going to be a non negotiable essential if/when we change it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Personal choice I think.

Having had both, I like a bed that doesn't have to be made up, apart from the nuisance of making it up at night and having to store the bedding during the day, a bed made up of cushions is not always comfortable.

Our next van has a fixed transverse bed at the back, a drop down bed in the centre and a "make up" bed in the dinette.

You can retro-fit an oven if you need one :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Before deciding what bed you want, decide HOW you intend to use the MH as that will determine if you need the large storage locker/garage that a fixed bed gives you, or if you want more lounging space, a bigger kitchen, separate shower etc ... what sort of places you want to go to is important and how long you want to stay in each location.

We've had coachbuilts and now have a PVC as we wanted a 'slimmer' vehicle to take to the places we want to go rather than be restricted due to the wider coachbuilt MHs.

An oven can be retrofitted into most MHs/campers so IMV it shouldn't be a deal breaker.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Gillus

Gillus Funster

It seems some of the foreign makes i.e hymer don't seem to to have ovens just hobs is this always the case?

7. Minxy Girl

We did exactly the same! We hired one with a rear lounge and the first night used the overcab bed ... it was horrible! Next night we made up the lounge bed and the dogs were put in the overcab bed!!! :D

• Like Like x 1
  8. MikeD

MikeD Funster

I am not an expert but yes I think it is. British built vans usually have a full cooker/oven (at least both of the ones I bought have) but mainland european built vans only have a couple of rings or so.

9. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

An oven is an optional extra on some European built vans. And as already mentioned you can retro-fit.

Don't forget you can have fixed rear bed(s), over cab and drop downs, either in the centre or over the cab.

10. Gillus

Gillus Funster

Thanks for your comments about the overhead cab we were having doubts

11. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

No it isn't.

Our Rapido has a hob, oven and grill.

12. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

When we first saw the overcab bed in ours we said,"no way are we sleeping in that!" What with climbing ladders and all. Anyway we climbed up to see what it was like. Well it turned out to be a big (bigger than at home) comfortable bed with no stowing away of bedding. No bedmaking. And in the morning just tilt the edge of the bed and it's out of sight. Never slept anywhere else since. And just 5 steps - more than twice that many at home.

Oh -and Jean's has a knee replacement!

Wyn

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Minxy Girl

... but some of them aren't as big as yours Wyn ... er, the overcab bed 'height' that is!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

We have had a fixed bed in a shortish coach built motorhome and although it's convenient it takes up a lot of room during the day and at nights when you just want to lounge about. We currently have a drop down A class which is always made up and ready to lower into position. The one down side is that because it's transverse one of us (me) has to climb over the other. We got fed up of having to sit upright in the dinette area when we had the fixed bed and that's why we changed it.

15. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

That's true. Better check the size. "Size matters" they say.

Wyn

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

We hired an over cab bed MH but the ladder was like a bunk bed one and uncomfortable, we bought a French bed style which was comfortable but wanted a bigger garage so have had two transverse bed ones. The last two had ovens which I have never used except as a cupboard!! We bbq or one pot cook or eat out! It is our holiday after all and when we tried the oven in the 2 nd van it was useless! But some people love them!

17. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Ours is a rear "u" longe that makes up into a big king size bed.. Takes us about 90 seconds, yes sad that we timed it once as loads of people kept saying about how long it took... Benefit is we have a nice big lounge for the daytime. If we are on a long stay somewhere or travelling a lot we leave it made as a bed.
    We also have the overcab bed but wife wont sleep there so its often the grandkids and me and the grandson up there.
    Have front dinette as well so always somewhere to sit and eat no matter what we do with rear lounge.. OH and that makes another bed as well. :) Best of all worlds..

Autotrail apache 700.. ps.. It's for sale ;)
    www.apache700.myfreesites.net

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns Funster

Love our Hymer drop down bed. We sleep better in it than we do in our bed at home. Down side - nowhere to put a glass of water. I sleep on the inside because I don't get up for a p in the night. We have friends with a french bed. She sleeps on the side with the cut off and says its difficult to turn over in the night because there's no where for her feet to go.

19. sedge

sedge Funster

Have to say we both found the over cab bed in the Bessacar comfy, actually more comfy than the French bed in the Pilote. I couldn't cope too well with the ladder and having to have the loo door open all night (since I'm the one that has to get up several times a night to use the loo)

Fixed beds are exactly what we said right at the start - usually a waste of space. Yes you have a dinette and the cab chairs if they turn - but nowhere we can both 'flop' full length if we want to.

• Like Like x 2
  20. buttons

buttons Funster

Hi and Welcome.........(y)