Becoming a legal resident in spain (1 Viewer)

annenpaul

Free Member
Oct 26, 2016
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
hi all. Does anybody know how you become a resident in Spain to be a mh full timer please.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
When I did that about 15 years ago it involved a lot of visits to various government offices and the associated paperwork. I would recommend you speak to a local gestor who will do it for you and maybe only charge about 75 Euros. Where do you intend to 'settle'?

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
hi all. Does anybody know how you become a resident in Spain to be a mh full timer please.

Although there are a few people on here that are resident in Spain, your question would be best answered by an expat forum. BUT ...

In short.

To stay for more than 90 days you should register on a list of foreigners resident in Spain. You need to show you have health cover, an address and sufficient income to support yourself. Your vehicle will need to be put onto Spanish plates. Hopefully it's a lhd motorhome? If you stay more than 183 days you have to pay tax in Spain.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
A

annenpaul

Free Member
Oct 26, 2016
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
Hi flamenca

What's a gester and how do I contact one? Don't think we are going to settle. At least not for a few years. We want to travel all over Spain and Portugal. Many thanks

Hi jumartoo. How do we register on a list of foreigners in Spain. Thanks Paul and Anne

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
What with Brexit and everything :-( I would say don't bother, just pop to Portugal or France every 90 days. You will get taxed on all your earnings or pension there and as you are MH ing u won't be getting the most out of the tax benefits.

OP
OP
A

annenpaul

Free Member
Oct 26, 2016
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
What with Brexit and everything :-( I would say don't bother, just pop to Portugal or France every 90 days. You will get taxed on all your earnings or pension there and as you are MH ing u won't be getting the most out of the tax benefits.

That's what we have decided yo do.
Cheers Uzsnowdrop

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995

Whilst I agree with you, going to Portugal or France every 90 days, won't change a thing, it is how many days in the country over a 12 month period that counts.

Do what most do, don't bother, in a motor home they won't bother you.

OP
OP
A

annenpaul

Free Member
Oct 26, 2016
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
So, did you manage to sort out insurance. (Where this all started :D).

Hi jumartoo yes we got insured with comfort insurance. For around £950 I think including breakdown cover. I did put it in one of the post. It's the only company that would do it for 12montg away. Most was only 9 months away. Cheers Paul

sheila benton

Free Member
Jan 30, 2016
Conwy north wales
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2006
We are thinking of using Motorhome facts for insurance with breakdown cover any thoughts would be appreciated

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
think you might find that after uk leaves the eu it will be 90 days in any 6month period anywhere in the eu. . as we wont be eu citizens then. so even going to france or portugal will be impossible as 90 days will be up.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
think you might find that after uk leaves the eu it will be 90 days in any 6month period anywhere in the eu. . as we wont be eu citizens then. so even going to france or portugal will be impossible as 90 days will be up.
How do you think they'll police that @vwalan ?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
we will have passports stamped on entryto the eu and checked on leaving . its how it works for non eu folk now . the eu is classed as one country now even thought its not . mind its a bit like a united states of europe.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
we will have passports stamped on entryto the eu and checked on leaving . its how it works for non eu folk now . the eu is classed as one country now even thought its not . mind its a bit like a united states of europe.
I'll believe it when and if it happens. ;)

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995

We are all "Booked out" of the UK now and booked in, so I guess n the case of and accident they would want to see proof of your stay outside of UK, like your ferry tickets. Or they would check with Ferry company.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
but soon i can only imagine our passports will have to be stamped on entry to the eu as is if we enter other countries in the world . we might have to apply for a visa . 90 day one .
i,m only baseing it on non eu folk coming into the eu at the moment.
might be the gvt work a better deal but the non eu one is what minimum we should get.
when we visit other countries stamps are used . and used to be years ago. often wonder what happened to my old passports as a kid . i know a few were well stamped up. every country we passed through in europe stamped in and out .
i know some of my later passports were just kept by authority i think. when i got new ones . mind i could be wrong .

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Mind you post brexit we will all be waiting for 90 days in entry/exit queues. Not that we will be able to afford european trips once the pound devalues even more. :-(.
Don't underestimate ANPR either.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
there is talk of a ferry service going to be started to morocco.
it seems there has been talk that goods coming from africa etc or other countries heading for uk will have a tax added on to them by the eu when we leave the eu. already quite a lot of goods is shipped direct as a trial for us leaving .
we can get 180 day visas for maroc and so winters away will be possible .
best we dont go to europe though.

Reactions: GBS

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back