Beamish living museum (1 Viewer)

Sep 5, 2010
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Always - off and on
Campsite closeby is Bobby Shafto Holiday Park, seems to get mixed reviews. We stayed once never again not a peaceful site- although the pitch itself was level, it is terraced with very little room either side of the van - a lot of long stay folks going off to work noisily at 6am and others partying until the wee sma' hours. Toilet block would have benefitted from being cleaned more often lots of kiddies playing water games etc. (We visited mid week within school term time last year) We didn't walk to the museum from memory it was quite steep (OM's knees don't like hills)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Just checking back and remember we stayed at Broken Link Removeda C&CC CS which is part of the National Trust Gibside Estate. As members of both we could access the estate across a muddy field full of cows, it was late autumn at the time. Miles of walks at Gibside and like many places in this part of the world linked to the Bowes-Lyon dynasty. From the campsite it was only 6 miles to Beamish.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Welll.. looks like it is going on the list of places to try and get to this year on our way back down from Scotland.
it will proly be late September but a long way off working out dates as yet so hard to plan a specific day when we will be there.. Just have to take pot luck :)
C&CC BCC Tyne Tees have a meet there 7-12 July and Durham DA have a meet there 11-13 September. MCC Northern Counties have a meet there 2-5 October.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ok.. had a look at the Bobby Shafto site.. As we only intend a one night stay I reckon that will do us.
Go straight to the Beamish from there, stay one night and then the following day drive the van to the museum for a second look, then wend our way south in the late afternoon..
Its a rough and ready plan but seems to be about right from all the above comments :)

Thanks one and all for your help and input (y)

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
could be a case of the e-bikes swinging in to action then !
Do you have name for the camp site..

Hi can't remember the name if you google camp sites near Beamish it will come up. Pete

Ps yes that,s the one Bobby Shafto saw the other posts after I. Replied

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Cheers for confirmation Peter (y)

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Campsite closeby is Bobby Shafto Holiday Park, seems to get mixed reviews. We stayed once never again not a peaceful site- although the pitch itself was level, it is terraced with very little room either side of the van - a lot of long stay folks going off to work noisily at 6am and others partying until the wee sma' hours. Toilet block would have benefitted from being cleaned more often lots of kiddies playing water games etc. (We visited mid week within school term time last year) We didn't walk to the museum from memory it was quite steep (OM's knees don't like hills)

I stayed at Bobby Shafto when paying a visit to Beamish, a friend booked it. We both said we would not book it again, it was scruffy and overpriced.
There must be some good CLs around there ? Any body know of one ?
Phil

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The closest is 7 miles from Beamish.. Been scouring around looking !!

Nov 10, 2013
Durham
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
None yet
Is Britstops any good, I live local to the area and this place gets a good name for food and has LOADS of parking. It is only 2 mile by road to Beamish.
Broken Link Removed

Steve

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Definitely worth a whole day. So much to see in that neck of the woods we spent a fortnight in the north east and could easily have made it 3 weeks - Hexham racecourse campsite has some spectacular views

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
The MCC have a meet at Beamish 2nd.to 5th. October. You would be most welcome. fun!!! fun!!! fun!!!

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not sure we will be able to stretch the trip out until then mate, but I will keep it in mind :)
Will I have to be a member to join in ?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not sure we will be able to stretch the trip out until then mate, but I will keep it in mind :)
Will I have to be a member to join in ?
You do have to be a member John, just as with the C&CC meets. I'm sure they would be pleased to take your money and sign you up there and then though :D

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hmmmm.. welllllll.. I looked at their web site and in all honesty I cannot really see that you get much for your £33.. or am I missing something ?
CL's are few and far between, and there does not really seem to be much incentive to join other than a several rallies ?

As we are gonna be doing the UK this year I am seriously taking another look at Britstops though

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hmmmm.. welllllll.. I looked at their web site and in all honesty I cannot really see that you get much for your £33.. or am I missing something ?
CL's are few and far between, and there does not really seem to be much incentive to join other than a several rallies ?

As we are gonna be doing the UK this year I am seriously taking another look at Britstops though
The main attraction for us is (as with the C&CC) the meets and THSs all over the country, for which there is usually no need to book in advance. We used several last year, plus a CL and Nightstop.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ok.. I will bite ! What is a THS ?

What we did a couple of years ago was simply pull in to any rural pub, speak to the guv'nor and ask if we can plot up for the night..
If yes, we would order some grub, if no we would have moved on.. but we never ONCE got refused permission (y)(y)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ah yes.. of course.. I remember reading about them now.. cheers :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back