Was it worth the visit
Anywhere for motorhome parking ?

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Very worth a visit, allow a full day there is ample parking in their car park for motorhomes but I doubt they would let you sty all night. It's worth asking though. if you phone and explain they might let you arrive in the evening of they before your visit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It's a while since I've been but I love Beamish. My Grandfather gave them a lot of things when there was a request for them, including the tv set he designed and built and his experimenter's licence.

There is a large car park and you shouldn't have too much problem in parking but give them a call first perhaps? 0191 370 4000

The pub in Beamish village used to do good food :) Not the tea room in the museum which is expensive.

Last edited:

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Yes been a couple of times. Plenty parking . Don't know about rv' s though. I'm guessing there's a coach park. Great day out. We took a picnic the second time. Better food, a lot cheaper.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
And you can take a "Growler". While there,go to the Bowes-Lyons ? Museum on the road to Penrith,..Barnard Castle? and see the "Silver Swan" Demo,used to be twice a day,a mechanical swan,designed millions of years ago... well ,a long time ago,a must see.
Have fun
Tea Bag

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
This is on our list so thanks for the heads up peeps.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I always research before visiting most places but don't worry about Beamish, as said there's bags of room. Like many places you get a years entry for the day visit price but, like us, it's not likely you'll visit again given the distance. Parts were closed when we were there in the autumn of 2013 but still enough to fill the day.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
And another vote for The Bowes Museum.

Barnard Castle town is an interesting place but you would need to check on parking.

If you visit Durham City check if you can do a tour of the castle.

Sep 5, 2010
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Always - off and on
Just back from Beamish - The Great North Steam Fair ended today but Festival of Transport on for the whole of April - You need more than a day to visit - have visited 3 separate days in the last 10 months and still need to go back to see things we have missed. Well worth having some fish and chips there - done traditionally in dripping - hard to find tastier. Have a look at the different events that are on throughout the year to plan your visit. No parking overnight but no shortage of space if you go earlyish.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I agree that you need more than a day. We spent a weekend there last October with the MCC and went round over 3 days. Your entry ticket is valid for a year so if you are there for a weekend you only pay once.

There is plenty of daytime parking but overnight is only allowed as part of a rally. Some of the C&CC DAs/Groups have rallies there as well as the MCC. We were given a discount off the entry ticket as ralliers.

If there for a weekend and you don't want to spend all the time in the museum there are buses direct from the site to Chester le Street, Durham and Newcastle. There is also a pub nearby.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I did wonder about Parking?. The old (now defunct) ARVE rallied there in the 90`s. One of the group came back from the restaurant after midnight, to find he`d "lost" his Batteries and couldn't get the Electric Bed out of the roof, or his Heating to run!, so with no bedding they had a very cold night!. Should have woken one of the others up. But he would`nt!!. Good place to go though.

Pete

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Usual story of This is from when there was a Great in Britain. Very well done museum.

The other one in the area that we haven't visited is the first electrically lit mansion house, can't remember the name.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
We went on a rally with northern counties section of MCC and had two nights in the carpark it was brilliant

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Yes it's Cragside near Rothbury which was owned by Armstrong and first house lit by hydro electric power. Restored a few years ago and well worth a visit.

Kath

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I used to Live at Hetton-Le-Hole where they took a row of house from and rebuilt them at Beamish. I went to visit soon after they opened this and I loved it. It has grown a lot since then and I keep meaning to go back again. I do recall having a great day out there as a kid. My Grandparents lived there with my grandfather working at the mine in the village. He told me Beamish was very much like Hetton in the old days.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Never been but it sounds like it should be on my list of places to visit. Thanks for the info guys.
I love this forum (y)(y)

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
We went about 4/5 years ago what a brilliant day out some of the things in the old houses were in my house when we moved in ie,gas lights huge black iron fireplace and mangles it took me back to my childhood:LOL: would definetly go again and Barnard castle is a good place to stay with either CC or CCC as they are both up there, didnt get to the Bowes Museum but will go again .

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Welll.. looks like it is going on the list of places to try and get to this year on our way back down from Scotland.
it will proly be late September but a long way off working out dates as yet so hard to plan a specific day when we will be there.. Just have to take pot luck :)

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
I have looked into going again it,s been many years since we last went, there is a camp site about a mile away so not to far to walk in . Pete

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
could be a case of the e-bikes swinging in to action then !
Do you have name for the camp site..

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
Sounds like its well worth a visit....will have to put it on my list!....Anyway...When I seen the thread title thought it was about a certain stout from Cork!
beamish.jpg
beamish2.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back