Beam Deflectors (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Soon going on our first trip to France and have organised breath test kit, etc, but where is the best place to get beam deflectors for the lights on our Fiat Ducato?

Are they easy to fit?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Halfords! :D
All the stores have an international section, in there you will find the beam benders. Open the packet, there is a huge set of instructions, follow the ones for Fiat Ducato Chassis cab, unless you are PVC, then it will be regular Fiat Ducato :D

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Great - many thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
By the way, the breath test is no longer a requirement, it has been totally repealed now, so save the money for something else. There have been many threads on this, but you MUST carry:
Hi vis vest (1 for each occupant including children)
Warning triangle (2 in Spain)
Spare bulbs
First aid kit (advisable not mandatory)
V5, Proof of insurance, Passport and Photocard driving licence
Spare tyre (or emergency kit) and tools to repair

Hope this helps

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Soon going on our first trip to France and have organised breath test kit, etc, but where is the best place to get beam deflectors for the lights on our Fiat Ducato?

Are they easy to fit?
Before you do anything have a good read:
Broken Link Removed

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
You could buy some headlight protectors and fit the beam deflectors to them, then it would be easy to swap back.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
You could buy some headlight protectors and fit the beam deflectors to them, then it would be easy to swap back.

^This is what I have done.

The protectors come with a couple of sets of stickers to put on the marked areas. If you do remove them each time you come back you can then just use tape in the marked areas instead of buying new deflectors - a lot cheaper.

However, I just leave them on - no noticeable visibility reduction and they still pass MOT as they simply straighten the beam. The first set have been on about 3 years and are just starting to peel so will probably take them off and put the second set on next time we head over the water.

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
By the way, the breath test is no longer a requirement, it has been totally repealed now, so save the money for something else. There have been many threads on this, but you MUST carry:
Spare bulbs

Hope this helps
Cool.... Thanks

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
So if hardly anybody uses them and are not getting stopped or prosecuted, then I reckon I might take the chance and not bother
It is true, many people don't use them, but for the sake of ÂŁ10 is it really worth risking it? I always put them on, but I have never been stopped. I believe the fine for not having them is pretty steep, so pay your money and take your choice, as the saying goes :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Spare bulbs

Hope this helps
Just a slight correction to the above, you do NOT have to have a photocard driving licence, just ideally take your driving licence - we've still got our pink paper ones!

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
Fit deflectors, if you have an accident, insurance companies will love you if you don't. They simply won't pay out as you are classed as not road worthy.
Take photo copies of all documents including passports, tuck them away safely.

Most importantly, enjoy.
DelMar.

?

Deleted User
Never used beam deflectors or ever had a GB sticker on my cars/bikes. Only tug from the law i had was France in the early 90's for not having the bike headlamp on. Me no understand so nice Mr Police man switched my headlamp on and sent me on my merry way. I dont know if they still do it but if you have an AA shop where you live you could but a kit in a bag for the country you are visiting. I got one first time i took the car to Germany. Waste of money but i remember the bag lasting years.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Beam deflectors here:

Broken Link Removed

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just a slight correction to the above, you do NOT have to have a photocard driving licence, just ideally take your driving licence - we've still got our pink paper ones!
Think you will find you do , all paper ones are now obsolete

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If you're planning on going to the EU often, buy a pack of ten pairs of beam deflectors from eBay and you'll save yourself a lot of pennies.

It's not only daft not putting them on, it's dangerous to other drivers. If M. le Plod wants an excuse to hand you a fine why provide him one on a plate? They do roadside checks on foreign registered vehicles.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
They are not obsolete at all - there is NO requirement to HAVE to get a plastic photo licence, if however we have to get a replacement licence, eg we move house, or lose one/damage it etc, then it will automatically be replaced with a plastic photo one. Details about it all can be found here:

https://insidedvla.blog.gov.uk/2015...-be-affected-when-the-counterparts-abolished/

Paper driving licences should not be destroyed – they'll still be valid after 8 June. It’s never been mandatory for drivers to replace their traditional style paper driving licence with the photocard licence, and this will remain unchanged.

Don’t destroy your paper driving licence
The changes that come into effect on 8 June 2015 are for existing photocard driving licence holders in England, Scotland and Wales only (Northern Ireland drivers are unaffected). Providing none of the details on a driver’s paper licence have changed (like their name or address), they can continue to use it until it expires. This is usually the day before their 70th birthday or 45thbirthday for vocational entitlement.

Also here:

http://www.aboutdrivingabroad.co.uk/your-driving-licence-valid-abroad.html

Plastic Licence Versus Paper Licence
In most cases when travelling abroad, it’s advisable to ensure that you have a pink plastic licence with you. You should also carry with you the green paper part of the licence as this will outline any convictions you have. If you only have a green paper licence, consider upgrading to a plastic photo licence as it’s also a great form of identification.​

Deleted User

Think you will find they are not, we only have the pink paper ones and only need to have a card one if we change our licence (change address etc)

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
OK, for the sake of a few quid, I will fit beam detectors.

Thanks for all the responses.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Surely more important than worrying about being pulled, fined & whatever is the danger of dazzling oncoming traffic. Apart from the inconsideration you only need one oncoming vehicle to retaliate with fullbeam because you've dazzled him/her to be temporarily blinded yourself...

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
In theory now, in order to hire a car you need a ref number from our gov website which only lasts 21 days due to no visible record of points on photo licence. I wonder if this has affected any funsters thus far when a hire car is 'supplied' when M/H breaks down

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Anyone seen a place to buy transit headlight cvers they seem to be like rocking horse s***

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
We took beam deflectors with us on our first trip to France last year when our MH had a fiat cab. We never actually fitted them but we never drove in the dark either. We took them in case we needed to drive at night but were parked up by 4.00pm every day and it was still sunny in July.

Now with this MH we have a dilemma - the headlights are just 3 one of 3 little circles on each side (see my avatar) - how do we deal with these?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
We took beam deflectors with us on our first trip to France last year when our MH had a fiat cab. We never actually fitted them but we never drove in the dark either. We took them in case we needed to drive at night but were parked up by 4.00pm every day and it was still sunny in July.

Now with this MH we have a dilemma - the headlights are just 3 one of 3 little circles on each side (see my avatar) - how do we deal with these?

Good thought?. The Ducato ones are similar, like twin headlights behind a single glass?. so how do beam benders work on those too?. Hmmm??

Pete

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
My van is an 06 plate Fiat chassis Hymer body. I always attach my beam blockers, ( do they actually BEND the beam? ) at Dover whilst waiting for the ferry and I simply copy where similar vans have theirs fitted.
I never have to worry about peeling them back off as at least one usually manages to detach itself anyway, perhaps they like living in France :rolleyes:

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
If you are watching cars coming off the ferries from France see how many you can spot with beam deflectors?I've never seen any!

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
Good thought?. The Ducato ones are similar, like twin headlights behind a single glass?. so how do beam benders work on those too?. Hmmm??

Pete
Ours aren't even behind one glass - there are 3 separate little glass recesses.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Ours aren't even behind one glass - there are 3 separate little glass recesses.
Do you need beam benders? Do you have a way of adjusting them so that they are unnecessary?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back