Beam Deflectors

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jdk62, Feb 13, 2016.

1. jdk62

jdk62 Funster

Soon going on our first trip to France and have organised breath test kit, etc, but where is the best place to get beam deflectors for the lights on our Fiat Ducato?

Are they easy to fit?

2. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Halfords! :D
    All the stores have an international section, in there you will find the beam benders. Open the packet, there is a huge set of instructions, follow the ones for Fiat Ducato Chassis cab, unless you are PVC, then it will be regular Fiat Ducato :D

3. jdk62

jdk62 Funster

Great - many thanks

4. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

By the way, the breath test is no longer a requirement, it has been totally repealed now, so save the money for something else. There have been many threads on this, but you MUST carry:
    Hi vis vest (1 for each occupant including children)
    Warning triangle (2 in Spain)
    Spare bulbs
    First aid kit (advisable not mandatory)
    V5, Proof of insurance, Passport and Photocard driving licence
    Spare tyre (or emergency kit) and tools to repair

Hope this helps

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

6. Manic

Manic Funster

You could buy some headlight protectors and fit the beam deflectors to them, then it would be easy to swap back.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Don't waste your money on beam deflectors..........

8. Stroppy Bird

Stroppy Bird Funster

^This is what I have done.

The protectors come with a couple of sets of stickers to put on the marked areas. If you do remove them each time you come back you can then just use tape in the marked areas instead of buying new deflectors - a lot cheaper.

However, I just leave them on - no noticeable visibility reduction and they still pass MOT as they simply straighten the beam. The first set have been on about 3 years and are just starting to peel so will probably take them off and put the second set on next time we head over the water.

9. jdk62

jdk62 Funster

Cool.... Thanks

10. jdk62

jdk62 Funster

11. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

It is true, many people don't use them, but for the sake of £10 is it really worth risking it? I always put them on, but I have never been stopped. I believe the fine for not having them is pretty steep, so pay your money and take your choice, as the saying goes :D

12. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Just a slight correction to the above, you do NOT have to have a photocard driving licence, just ideally take your driving licence - we've still got our pink paper ones!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. ****

**** Read Only Funster

14. DelMar

DelMar Funster

Fit deflectors, if you have an accident, insurance companies will love you if you don't. They simply won't pay out as you are classed as not road worthy.
    Take photo copies of all documents including passports, tuck them away safely.

Most importantly, enjoy.
    DelMar.

15. ****

**** Read Only Funster

Never used beam deflectors or ever had a GB sticker on my cars/bikes. Only tug from the law i had was France in the early 90's for not having the bike headlamp on. Me no understand so nice Mr Police man switched my headlamp on and sent me on my merry way. I dont know if they still do it but if you have an AA shop where you live you could but a kit in a bag for the country you are visiting. I got one first time i took the car to Germany. Waste of money but i remember the bag lasting years.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Minxy Girl

17. chaser

chaser Funster

Think you will find you do , all paper ones are now obsolete

18. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

If you're planning on going to the EU often, buy a pack of ten pairs of beam deflectors from eBay and you'll save yourself a lot of pennies.

It's not only daft not putting them on, it's dangerous to other drivers. If M. le Plod wants an excuse to hand you a fine why provide him one on a plate? They do roadside checks on foreign registered vehicles.

19. Minxy Girl

They are not obsolete at all - there is NO requirement to HAVE to get a plastic photo licence, if however we have to get a replacement licence, eg we move house, or lose one/damage it etc, then it will automatically be replaced with a plastic photo one. Details about it all can be found here:

https://insidedvla.blog.gov.uk/2015...-be-affected-when-the-counterparts-abolished/

Paper driving licences should not be destroyed – they'll still be valid after 8 June. It’s never been mandatory for drivers to replace their traditional style paper driving licence with the photocard licence, and this will remain unchanged.

Don’t destroy your paper driving licence
    The changes that come into effect on 8 June 2015 are for existing photocard driving licence holders in England, Scotland and Wales only (Northern Ireland drivers are unaffected). Providing none of the details on a driver’s paper licence have changed (like their name or address), they can continue to use it until it expires. This is usually the day before their 70th birthday or 45thbirthday for vocational entitlement.

Also here:

http://www.aboutdrivingabroad.co.uk/your-driving-licence-valid-abroad.html

Plastic Licence Versus Paper Licence
    In most cases when travelling abroad, it’s advisable to ensure that you have a pink plastic licence with you. You should also carry with you the green paper part of the licence as this will outline any convictions you have. If you only have a green paper licence, consider upgrading to a plastic photo licence as it’s also a great form of identification.​

• Like Like x 1
  20. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

Think you will find they are not, we only have the pink paper ones and only need to have a card one if we change our licence (change address etc)

• Like Like x 1