Bbq Food Increases Cancer Risk

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by CJB, Jul 16, 2015.

1. CJB

CJB Funster

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zprd7hv

Another case of scare mongering or not, will have to wait and see when more information is available

I will still be cooking sausages and burgers on the Chimnea tonight whilst drinking some liver killing wine.

2. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

This idea has been around for many years - I'm surprised that no-one has done a definitive study by now.

The Aussies would be a good research group!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I think its been known for a while that burnt food might be seriously carcinogenic. But a little bit of what you like will never hurt you.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Maybe it does, but not as much as smoking

5. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

I watched this. It's known that bowel cancer is more common in Australia due to bbq.
    We're ok as we have a cadac. So grill not bbq.
    It's the proper smokey bbq that is carcinogenic.
    In the program it showed that if you marinated your meat in beer, dark beer in particular, it counteracted the cancer causing Smoke and burnt bits.

6. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

Using dark beer as a marinade is supposed to reduce the risk and you have got the added bonus of drinking the beer that isn't used. :)
    I was a bit slow posting.

• Like Like x 1
  7. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

It's a good job nobody told our ancestors about this a million years ago when they first started cooking with fire.

• Like Like x 5
  8. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

That's why none of them are around today :)

• Like Like x 6
  9. JimboT

JimboT Funster

Well i should be dead now with Cadac on my grave stone.
    What a load of old crap
    Jim

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Cadac isn't a bbq. It's a griddle. You won't be harmed. Like us.
    As I said above its the smoke ( especially ) extra heat given off coals and charcoal and black burnt stuff that does it.

11. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

(y) Quite agree. Don't care! :cheers::wine:

12. iandsm

iandsm Funster

I love my barbecue (charcoal type) but I am careful not to char food or burn it.

Regularly consuming well-done or charred meat may increase your risk of developing pancreatic cancer by up to 60 percent, according to a University of Minnesota studythat tracked the eating habits of more than 62,000 people over a nine-year period. Why? Cooking meat at a high temperature causes chemicals called HCAs (heterocyclic amines) and PAHs (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons) to form. These carcinogens can cause changes in the DNA that can lead to cancer.

Try chooser leaner meats and trimming the fat well before grilling, because when fat and juices drip from meat, flames flare up and create more smoke, which leads to carcinogen formation. Also, flip frequently to reduce HCAs by 75 to 95 percent, according to Nutrition Action Healthletter. If you do char your meat, trim it away before.

If a study of the diet of 62000 people suggests a link with changes in DNA and pancreatic cancer, thats good enough for me. BUT, there is plenty of information on the web which suggests that using a marinade and lower cooking temperatures can reduce the carcinogens by 90%.

So for me its carry on barbecuing but with attention to not burning and using a marinade when the heat has started to die down a little therefore cooking more slowly.

Read more: http://www.rd.com/slideshows/guidelines-healthier-grilling-cancer-risk/#ixzz3g4UKDQbq

• Like Like x 3
  13. rangitira

rangitira Funster

YEWOHH! here's another don't eat it, it's gonna kill you

FFS!,Would you spend the rest of yer miserable life sucking Gruel thro an organic straw, and die a pinch cheeked misery at 100 and?
    "In 1932 I could fill me Motorbike up for 2s and thupence farthing"
    or
    Eat what you like, and die happy!

It's a no brainer, innet?

Edit! anyway charcoal is good for you, it cleans the blood!:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 3
  14. Tootles

Tootles Funster

I cant find any reference to this. Having enjoyed barbies for many years, and eaten Army food for more years, (most of that badly burnt), I was of coarse interested to enquire from my surgeon if that was the root cause of my recent bowel cancer. No, (sayeth the man), not lifestyle. Your just one of the unlucky one out of five men. o_O I think I will go with his answer.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Sorry toots, I may be wrong . I should have backed up my post with a quote. I'm not sure where I heard it. I think It was a TV program. But I just googled and found this http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/cancer_and_food
    Prostate is the most common , followed by bowel in Oz.
    Then thishttp://www.news-mail.com.au/news/cancer-council-puts-bbq-meat-under-grill/2507677/
    So what do the Aussies do to raise awareness and raise funds
    http://bigaussiebarbie.com.au/ ????? Seems like they aren't concerned either !

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  16. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Well please yourself, personally I prefer to take advice if I can see some sense in it, which I do in this case.

On the other hand, when you are double incontinent, deaf, cant walk more than a few steps without a frame, cant see too well either, 90 years old and you know abstaining from burnt barbeque food, strong drink and even stronger women has given you another five years of life you might wish you hadn't abstained :):)

• Like Like x 3
  17. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

This has been rattling on for yonks! Its like most things which you like but that are 'bad' for you ... moderation.

... but then again ...my mum is now 90 and has eaten loads of butter with a bit of bread (yes loads of butter on the bread!) fried food, loves fried chicken wings, dripping etc and is still going strong ... nowadays she'd be condemned for doing it but she's happy and quite health so she's not gonna complain!

18. ianandkath

ianandkath Funster

you cant beat a good barbie, and i for one will continue to eat what i like and stuff the scare mongers

19. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

How come some smart-ar$e comes up with this 'good' advice so late!... breathing will kill you................well the last breath will...............be your last

(y)

• Like Like x 1
  20. ianandkath

ianandkath Funster

cos some people have nowt else to do, so sit there and think what can we scare you with next

• Like Like x 1