Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Hi There,
anyone from Northern Ireland who was listening to the Stephen Nolan show on BBC Radio Ulster will have heard the venomous hatred expressed toward motorhomers from people who dislike the motorhomers who go to the sea-side town of Portrush. A large carpark there is used by motorhomers almost every day of the week. A lady was also on the show who lobbies on behalf of Motorhomers and our needs. One Council she had met with had point blank refused to provide any facilities. But back to Portrush. The dislike of motorhomers here appears to be because there are so many there so aoften. Good I would have thought for Portrush!
Personaly I have business in this area one day a month and used to travel up, park in Ramore head carpark, get lunch in the Ramada, toddle up to the White House - large departmental store- purchase something, toddle back to MH, have a wee lie down, then head 73 miles home . I have ceased this practice due to an earlier program some months ago in which the same sentiments were expressed against us MHers. I have mobility difficulties and was affraid of confrontation with some of these folks with chips on their shoulders about MHers.
Perhaps it is time for MHers to boycot Portrush. The lobbiest called Jill, pointed out that another village called Broughshane had introduced aire de service facilities and how the village business had reported an upsurge in trade.
Those opposing us wanted us to only take our MHs out in summer and use the proper sites. - these are only open in summer!
Anyway enough of a rant, but I was very angry listening to people calling us freeloaders. Never mind overnighting, it is difficult here to find places to park in the day time while day tripping around our lovely country. I am quite prepared to pay parking charges, but finding somewhere suitable to park in the first place is a problem. A Portrush hotel and shop has lost out on our business one day a month due to the viciousness of the verbal attacks on motorhomes.
As a disabled person who has not been able to holiday for ten years, our motorhome has given us the ability to day trip and regarding summer holidays, well sorry Portrush, but a more motorhome friendly country is getting our business.
On a day trip recently to Newcstle Co. Down, we noticed in the car park, a car with a dog box attached to the towbar, it was taking up two spaces, the exact same as our Motorhome, to whom were comments made about taking up so much room in the car park? Right - you got it in one! ( well two spaces actually).
Regards, Wee John

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sad, narrow minded people.

we have our fair share in scarborough....

the easiest place to park is the Esplanade so M/Hs park there but the local, dare i say, upper class residents are forever writing to the local rag complaining about the "traveller types" parking for hours !! (this is a disc zone:Doh:) and consuming their own food and drink while sat in their vans.
they dont understand , or want to think, the food and drink was more than likely bought locally but because they arent sat in a cafe consuming it they must be freeloaders.....

Scarborough is a lovely town (or as the honourable Micheal Shaw MP(scarboro) once said after being interviewed about the town on tv , thinking the cameras had stopped rolling,"if you believe that bullsh*t you'll believe anything"::bigsmile:) but some residents are just so blinkered.:Angry:

OP
OP
weejohnw

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Portrush

Hi, One person who phoned in, claimed to own a guest house which the mhers parked near to, she said she had foreign guests arrived who thought that there were gypsies outside the door!
Others complained abut MHers driving over gratings and dumping grey waste down them.
Got very angry today.
The main opponent I think had a major case of jealousy as he kept mentioning these freeloaders in their £50k plus mhs who wouldnt pay a few quid for the site fees.
Anyway, we won't be back in Portrush with ours. Although a well known local politician recently redefined the meaning of the word never, so who knows!
Regards, Wee John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pronto

Free Member
Nov 17, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Yeah - the world is full of bigoted muppets; but we're not the only folk who suffer from their prejudices and I guess we're a lot better of than most ...

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Ireland

Did the East, North and West of Ireland a few years ago Loved the scenery but found the whole island very anti MH. Barriers everywhere. When I asked the Dublin Tourist Info Office why this was I was told it was to stop Gypsies!! My answer was that they are all in the UK!! and we here in Plymouth are in combat with the Council to prevent a gypy site being built next to a residential area!! I'm afraid I (Nor my money) will be going back to Ireland the country I fled in 1962:Eeek:

Pronto

Free Member
Nov 17, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
My answer was that they are all in the UK!!
Don't think they are actually ...

and we here in Plymouth are in combat with the Council to prevent a gypy site being built next to a residential area!!
Looks like I need to add Plymouth to my list of places not to visit :Smile:

Jack the Rev

Free Member
Apr 21, 2008
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
A Class Adria Vision
Exp
20 years
Portrush

Yes, Wee John I agree with you.

I've decided not to visit Portrush again and its their loss. On each occasion I would say I spent on average £50 so they won't be getting my money anymore.

Let all motorhomers hit them where it hurts - their pockets! :thumb: Let's do it.

Jack the Rev
Northern Ireland.

OP
OP
weejohnw

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Say no go to Portrush

Hi Jack the Rev
Got rather sickened with the ill feeling expressed toward Motorhomers on Nolan. I think jealousy has a lot to do with it.
If there was proper parking it could be used, but as usual in this country, they cry out looking for tourists, then decide they are particular on the type of tourists they get!
Our money will not be going into the Portrush economy in the near future.
We're there one day a month on some business and our new routine is Portstewart, the Strand then home again.
Bye Bye Portrush. boycott the Port
Weejohn
:Tongue1:

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Pappajohn

We have stayed overnight in Scarborough, on the seafront just along from the shows.

The parking meter quoted £6 for 24 hrs.

Is that not encouraging us to stay and enjoy spending our spare cash in the amusements and a meal and a drink in the local bar?

Any money we save by not using campsites, we spend on meals and over-priced drinks.

Anyway when will the councils realise that these sites are too remote from the towns? Motorhomers need some form of public transport to get us into the towns to allow us to spend.

S

sunbeam

Deleted User
:cry::cry::cry:Hi Wee Johon i also listened to the nolen show and was going to ring in but wouldnt give him the pleasure the best way to deal with him is to listen to other stations as i used to go to the port and stay always had a meal in the harbour,the blue duck,the comfort or the royal court but stopped last year after the last outcry by mr nolan but then it was being fueled by a local caravan site owener his tonyness sorry i could go on but it is thier loss

Pronto

Free Member
Nov 17, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Think you've posted in the wrong area mate - try the "Where can I best steal software from ..." forum:Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We have stayed overnight in Scarborough, on the seafront just along from the shows.

The parking meter quoted £6 for 24 hrs.

Is that not encouraging us to stay and enjoy spending our spare cash in the amusements and a meal and a drink in the local bar?

Any money we save by not using campsites, we spend on meals and over-priced drinks.

Anyway when will the councils realise that these sites are too remote from the towns? Motorhomers need some form of public transport to get us into the towns to allow us to spend.

hi,

i agree with you totaly,

it is encouraging folks to stay and spend, which many do, and are usualy welcomed.
the road i refered to (esplanade) is residential on one side and cliffs down to the beach on the other. as i said its mostly a bay-less disc zone during the day and uncontrolled by night which means anyone can use it.

but the residents dont approve....brings the neighbourhood down, unsightly motorhomes etc

they dont realise the amount of money spent on entertainment during the day more than covers the free parking.

B

bq125rex

Deleted User
motor home tourism

Thanks wee john I fully agree with your views.I (chris Quinn) was invited unto the show to speak on behalf of motor home tourists but it was a set up.Wasn't it interesting that the caller John wanted us to spend our money on the sites and give the site owners money ?The site owners 'wee shop, chip shop etc' He didn't make a mature point on tourism.The sad point that N Ireland comes up short when welcoming tourists is well documented.We often say 'we are friendly people'Pauline Armitage used the word 'Hate' towards motor homes.The same week Coleraine Council emailed me to say they are happy with their services for motor home tourists .They have eleven car parks with Height Restriction Barriers and only one for motor home tourist to stay on you know John Ramore Head .In February the D.O.E banned motor homes from parking over night on Bath Road they act quickly when they want.The local M.P. has no power over the Council but this Council should be asked by the Finance Minister What Economic Plans they have made for the short fall in Council funding.Why is a prime poece of real estate along the north coast not earning money from motor home tourism.Motor Home Tourism is the only growing Industry.The Caravan Club is talking with 3 Councils asking to build sites why is this Club not active in lobbying for motor home parking perhaps weejohn we should be more like yourself and stop allowing others to bully us in our taxed and insured vehicles .I don;t visit Portrush or the north coast I don't miss it .
Happy motor home touring chris

OP
OP
weejohnw

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
No to the Port

Thanks for the comments, MHers were certaintly not getting a fair crack of the whip on that program.
What amazed me was the venom being spuewwwwwed out towards us. as a result of a surgery mishap eleven years ago I have been very restricted with going out for the day plans. I need quick access to a loo. The motorhome has granted us an opportunity to now go away for a day, never mind the few wee trips we have already had.
I quite liked the Port and usually spent 50 to 100 pounds on each visit. Now we just avoid Portrush and go to the Strand (National Trust members). Very relaxing.
Motorhomes do not need sites to park at, just a secure parking space. We are responsible adults, taking home our waste, or putting it in bins provided, emptying grey water in drains or at home.
Bye Bye Portrush.
It is high time our councils and public perception woke up to tourism, all types of it.
We are just back froma wee tour of Belgium and France for two weeks and parked up in many village/town aires. Local people were very helpful nowhere did we feel unwelcome.
Best advice for motorhomers here is - go abroad for holidays.
Regards, Weejohn

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I have been harassed in Bridlington for overnighting. I sent a letter to the local parking office complaining that none of their car parks allowed MHs. They told me to stay on a site.

I no longer go to Bridlington.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back