BBC HD pixalating

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by Nirvanauk, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

In the house I have a Sony Bravia TV with freesat built in, coupled to a sky mini dish. It has been working fine for since we bought it 2 years ago but a couple of months ago it started breaking up only on BBC HD. All other channels are fine. I have done a re scan.

Any ideas please?

2. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Ours does it if its raining really heavy outside.
    We dont have sky , but it is digital.
    It also says No /Bad signal on the screen.
    We just knock it off digital onto normal 1 to 5 channels. Have to watch whatever's on there till the storm subsides :Rofl1:

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I would think the dish needs adjusting slighly, or realigning ..

do you have a sat finder signal meter ..

4. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

Yes, and a satellite compass, but would I set it up for Astra 2? It has never been moved (as far as I can remember) since I dumped Sky about 8 years ago.
    Thanks

5. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Any heavy rain will reduce the signal. If the signal is not quite spot on then you will experience break up and or total loss of signal.

Over the years, strong winds, snow, birds landing can cause the dish to move just enough to weaken the signal. Friends of mine had the same problem, losing signal. Amazingly two pigeons had managed to build a nest in the dish resting on the arm for the LNB. The dish was in a corner so well protected for the pigeons.

Normally somewhere in the menu system of your built in freesat receiver you can find a signal strength indication (maybe in the installation or setup menus) showing your signal strength and quality. If not connect your signal meter then;

If you slacken the bolts a little on your dish (don't slack them off completely only, just enough so it just moves slightly under pressure) then just adjust the dish in very very small increments allowing several seconds then check your signal strength and quality to see if it has improved. Get someone indoors to shout to you or call you as you adjust the dish each time saying if the signal is "Higher or Lower".......

You could also check the skew on your lnb to get optimum signal, it will normally have 4 positions (swinging vertically from right to left as you look at it), which it will just click into position with light hand pressure, then check the signal strength.

Cheers.

:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  6. aba

aba

if its only the bbc hd channel i wouldnt bother why support the national pedophile coverup channels anyway

7. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

What a stupid comment.....!

• Like Like x 4
  8. bigmillie

bigmillie Read Only Funster

BBC 1 HD switched to astra 2f on 22-11-12 you might need to adjust your dish

9. Satandpcguy

Satandpcguy Funster

No it has not.

BBC HD 1 HD England, BBC1 HD Northern Ireland and BBC HD are still on Astra 1N 10847 V 23000 2/3.

Two TEST channels, which will eventually become BBC1HD Wales and BBC1 HD Scotland, have moved fom 1N to 2F - 10847 V 23000 2/3.

10. Microchip

Microchip Funster

As it has bee ninstalled for quite a while, I would check first for poor connections on the LNB, if they are corroded there is a possiblity that water has got in and travelled down the cable, that would mean a new cable, if ok then check for alighnment with sat finder.:thumb:

Keith

11. bigmillie

bigmillie Read Only Funster

I was going by this Astra 2f on "King of Sat"

BBC 1 HD 11024 H 23000 2/3 8901

BBC 1 HD 11024 H 23000 2/3 8911

Started 22/11/1012

12. Satandpcguy

Satandpcguy Funster

Those are the two that will eventually become BBC1HD Wales and BBC1 HD Scotland. They are currently not available to watch on Sky or Freesat as they have not been launched yet!

BBC1HD England BBC1HD Northern Ireland and BBC HD that are currently "live" and are still on 1N - as kingofsat also says!

You should not "need to adjust your dish" too much as 1n and 2f are in the same location!

However, if it started around September time, this is when the BBC changed their HD transponder settings - from QPSK to 8PSK, and changing the FEC from 8/9 FEC to 2/3.
    This, apparently, makes reception a bit more sensitive, so it may mean your dish is out of alignment, or your lnb needs to be replaced.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012