Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Just watched this weeks on I Player with rain plummeting down !:cry:
They featured Portpatrick in Dumfries and Galloway ! Just clocked it on Google Earth, what a charming place...I noticed plenty of parking by the Harbour which is having toilets and showers built for visiting yachts, a prime spot for an Aire if ever I saw one !!
Has anyone been there and stopped overnight, or are the dreaded "No sleeping in vehicles" signs around !!! Stephen.:Cool::Cool:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Just done a close up google earth on the harbour car park signs.
Guess what !

No overnight sleeping, cooking or camping.

We were thinking of going there ourselves but may have to spend our money elsewhere.

OP
OP
Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Just done a close up google earth on the harbour car park signs.
Guess what !

No overnight sleeping, cooking or camping.

We were thinking of going there ourselves but may have to spend our money elsewhere.

Page 562 in The CC book, a CL site £8-50, also has EHU !!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
As you say Portpatric a great place to visit have been there many times, but as said no overnighting.
Great little port and village with some lovely shops, pubs and café's.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We enjoyed our visit to Portpatrick, one unsual thing to look out for is the Black Guillemot that nest under the bridge in the harbour. If my memory servies me correct Port Patrick was quite close to where the television series 1000 acre's of sky was filmed, a quaint little port worth a visit.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Portpatrick is absolutely gorgeous! It's about less than an hour away from us, I can't suggest anywhere else to stay close by to there without checking the CC websites etc. But I can appreciate why they don't want overnight stays there, there aren't too many parking slots around the harbour and it's always very busy all the year round, but especially in the summer months.

Some of you may have watched the Timothy Spall sailing series which was on recently, he landed at Port Patrick on his journey around the coast of Britain.

Two Thousand Acres of Sky was filmed not too far away in and around Port Logan as well. The tv producers tried to give the impression that it was actually the Isle of Ronansay. Here's the link to the Scotland Movie website:-

http://www.scotlandthemovie.com/movies/f2000.html

If anyone is coming up this far, I would suggest coming to Kirkcudbright as well, it's a bigger town and some of the streets are very wide, we never have a problem parking the van in the winter. However, it's a very popular wee place in the summer months:thumb:

There is a CL just behind us at Drummockloch Farm, DG7 2HD, and there is Silvercraigs caravan site actually in Kirkcudbright which is about 12 miles away from us. I can't suggest anywhere for wild camping, but I would think there has to be plenty places around close to the small beaches in the area.

Also, a visit to the Cream O' Galloway Centre is recommended, try some of their gorgeous ice creams:thumb: from there you can continue down towards Sandgreen and I know there are quiet spots around there, perhaps some of these might be ideal for wild camping. Just an idea.

We're about 10 - 15 minutes along the coast from Kirkcudbright, if you're looking for somewhere that's fairly quiet, unspoilt the whole area around where we are is ideal for walking, wildlife, quiet beaches and much more.

There is also a caravan site at Mossyard, 5 minutes away from us, I'm not sure if the take mh's but I could certainly find out if anyone was interested.

From the Mossyard site, it's just a short walk to a beautiful beach and on a clear day you can see the Isle of Man and down towards the Solway Coast and the Lake District beyond.

Well worth the visit, especially when the weather's good and the weather forecast for today........sun, sun and more sun:thumb:

Honest, I've never worked for the Scottish Tourist Board either:winky:
Margaret:Smile:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I've just noticed this link for the area around me, it includes Auchenlarie Holiday Park, but not sure if they take mh's.

This site has fantastic sea views, but it very popular, the site just seems to get bigger and bigger every year. So it might not appeal to those who are looking for somewhere really quiet. But just avoid the Glasgow Fair fortnight (last two weeks in July), because it gets very busy then:RollEyes:

I know they take touring tents, but I would need to check about them taking motorhomes, as it's predominately caravans methinks.

I know this thread started out about Port Patrick, but just thought I would put my tuppence worth in for the lovely quiet area on my doorstep:thumb:
Margaret:Smile:

Link Removed

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
There are two touring sites within walking distance of Portpatrick, to the south of the village.On the other side of the peninsular (east) there are a few wildcamping spots. Portpatrick does get very busy in the summer and it's sometimes hard to park a car there. Also, CC site at New England Bay is very good, relaxed, and on the beach.

http://www.gallowaypoint.com/ http://www.castlebayholidaypark.co.uk/

Rgds
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back