TheDeckKing

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Hyde, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Voyager 2 coachbui
Exp
Baz our 1992 Talbot petrol moho is refusing to start. We had a flat battery on Sunday and after a jump start he struggled to get home without stalling. I've since put in a new battery and he started first time but then cut out after 30 seconds and has refused to start again since then. The starter turns over nicely but the engine just doesn't catch. I've changed the ignition coil, distributor cap and rotor arm but when I pull a spark plug and turn over the engine there is just no spark.
Any ideas as to what to check next?:(

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Does that engine have contact breakers or is it'contactbreakerless'
Sorry to ask the obvious but I'm not up on 92 Talbots.
If the answer to the first part of my question is Yes, (ie it has contact breakers,) then that's where I would look.

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Is it still on points, (contact breakers), or has electronic ignition been fitted into the distributor??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheDeckKing

TheDeckKing

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Hyde, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Does that engine have contact breakers or is it'contactbreakerless'
Sorry to ask the obvious but I'm not up on 92 Talbots.
If the answer to the first part of my question is Yes, (ie it has contact breakers,) then that's where I would look.

Is it still on points, (contact breakers), or has electronic ignition been fitted into the distributor??

There's an electronic ignition thingy next to the ignition coil. The rotor arm is all on its own in the disi cap so I guess I'm contactless

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
There's an electronic ignition thingy next to the ignition coil. The rotor arm is all on its own in the disi cap so I guess I'm contactless
And you are earthing the plug body to the block when you turn it over?? Check the HT lead from the coil...pull it out and make sure it's not burnt or damaged. Also, check the LT connectors on the coil. If all that is sound, it could be your electronic ignition unit faulty.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheDeckKing

TheDeckKing

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Hyde, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
And you are earthing the plug body to the block when you turn it over?? Check the HT lead from the coil...pull it out and make sure it's not burnt or damaged. Also, check the LT connectors on the coil. If all that is sound, it could be your electronic ignition unit faulty.
Yes.
Done.
Done and I think it must be the ignition or a cable off of it. Will check it tomorrow in the day light.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
As he has replaced the coil I'm putting up that the HT lead out of it on it's way to the distribution cap is not pushed in enough.
That was my anti theft device of choice many years ago when I had to park somewhere that was iffy.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheDeckKing

TheDeckKing

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Hyde, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Just got back in from fitting a new ignition circuit and Baz started 1st time:party3:
Unfortunately it seems that the alternator isn't up to par and is only putting out 2 volts :banghead:
Thanks for all the help so far. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions soon

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back