Bay of Biscay

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by mickcope, May 31, 2012.

1. mickcope

mickcope Read Only Funster

We are planning to use the Bilbao ferry on the regular basis - any idea on when the 'bad weather' and seasick periods are - and is it 'that' bad
    ta
    Mick

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

We were waiting for the delayed ferry in Portsmouth once, we watched them disembark and for the first time I did see that humans can turn green.

Depends on the ship.

Depends on the weather.

Millpond luxury cruise or "if hell is like this I'm going to confession every day and I'm Jewish".

• Like Like x 1
  3. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Could pick up a rough crossing any time of the year...:RollEyes:

But obviously the winter more like.... the ship from Plymouth has good stabalisers on and all the times we have crossed it`s never been that bad..:thumb:

You pay`s your money and takes your chance...:Wink::Rofl1:

If they think it`s going to be that bad they will cancell or delay the crossing, with today`s forecasting they have a pretty good idea on how the crossing will be.. :thumb:

4. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I think you are better off going to Santander - its a bigger better boat than the Bilbao crossing.

We came back at Easter and the Bay of Biscay was pretty wild:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. JayDee

JayDee Funster

It's "The Bay Of Biscay":Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

It tends to be a meeting place for all the currents and winds in the north atlantic.

If they happen to be in harmony then the ship rolls and pitches a bit - nothing to worry about;
    BUT if they are not in harmony then look out. Thirty foot waves are not uncommon and cross-swells make the ships movement a nightmare, rollercoaster.

Pot luck really, though the Spanish/French shipping forecasts may help, if you can find it. I'll have a look later and see if I can dig anything out.

But anyway - good luck. You may or may not need it. :BigGrin::RollEyes::Eek!:

John

6. JJ

JJ Funster

I feel sick...

JJ :Cool:

7. mickcope

mickcope Read Only Funster

ok cheers - will stock up on pills for us and the dog

8. capinpugwash

capinpugwash Funster

It's not always bad. the picture on my avatar was taken at sunset in the Bay, I think about May time one year.:thumb:

However, as others have said, it all depends on time of year and weather patterns at time of the crossing.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jim

Jim Ringleader

When its good its very good....when its bad... :Eeek::Eeek:

No matter how good a traveler you are, in the company of others vomiting, or coming across the results, its hard to keep your stomach contents down, its like a chain reaction. In the main loos, you soon realise how handy that 6 inch high lip on the floor is at keeping it all in!:Smile:

Have a good trip:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  10. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Yes, folk think of taking pills, they often forget to take their wellies.

Be Prepared.

11. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

more bad than good

Been through it on a 99,000 ton cruise shop and that had all the stabilisers and it was bad... as bad as the Atlantic in December to January...

These days I use the tunnel.. not an issue then.

Bob:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

12. Snitrats

Snitrats Funster

Went through there on 68,000 liner, as opposed to a cruise ship.
    The bow was 78' above the water line and going under !:helptitanic:
    Was quite a view from the crows nest bar, amazingly the Portuguese fishing boats where still out in this!

13. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

We travel on this route every year but normally in July without any problems.
    This year we sailed out on May 29th and it was terrible. I was thrown out of bed twice and had massive sickness. Coming back on May 22nd the first few hours were rough but after that it was smooth. According to the crew it has been very rough off and on for over 6 months. Take plenty of food as the ship prices are a total rip off. The duty free is very reasonable for tabacco and some spirits.
    You may wonder why we had a short trip, well family terminal illness forced us to return. We were not booked to come home until July 3rd but family is more important.

14. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Hugh-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Bleuuuuuuuuuuuurgh

15. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi
    we came back yesterday smooth all the way:BigGrin::BigGrin:, 4 good sunny months in Spain and its raining today :Sad::Sad:. I have used the Bilboa other times with no probs its just the luck of the draw, friends went out in Jan to Santander but were landed in France due to bad weather. Pete :thumb:

16. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

as others have said when its good it is like a mill pond, when its bad its bad, but to those of us that are not affected by the motion being near the reception/information desk it can be quite funny on occasion. We have had both types of crossing.
    On the bad one we were held out at sea for an extra 24hrs, they stopped serving hot drinks and meals due to the weather (more likely due to H&S and possible insurance claims from passengers) The ship seemed to have only a few hardy passengers on board but occasionally someone would stagger to the reception desk demanding 'to be let off this boat now' or demanding a refund as they didnt pay to come on it and spend their time throwing up when they hadnt even been able to go and drink in the bar (booze cruiser). When we eventually docked I realised just how many folk had been on the ship and Spanish News teams were there filming us.
    I can honestly say i felt sorry for the cabin cleaners and what they must of had to deal with after folk had got off.

• Like Like x 2
  17. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

I have even cut out the Hook Van Holland route

Last time across from Harwich to Hook.. it was bad... would not mind, but purchased a breakfast before we sailed (clam at Parkstone Quay in Harwich)... come the next morning at Hook I could not face anything.. so two breakfasts unused... made me feel unwell for the whole day... it decided us that we would not go any more on ships, but stick to the tunnel..

OK it rocks about a bit in the RV, but it does not go up and down.... Ezzie cannot work out how come we are not moving but there is some form of motion.. she sits looking out the window trying to work it out. :RollEyes:

You think the bay is bad... do the North Atlantic to New York in the middle of winter in force 9 to 10 ... seen snow on the deck before and seas so high... 4 days of that would last you a life time... never such a welcome site as the Ambrose light.

Bob

18. JayDee

JayDee Funster

As promised...
    I managed to dig up these websites:-

http://www.myweather2.com/Marine/Sea-Areas/Bay-Of-Biscay/Biscay-Lat-4500-Lon-800.aspx

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/mari...&CEL=C&SI=mph&MENU=0&MEER=fatl&MODELLTYP=uv10

with the last one you can get a larger scale of the individual sections by clicking on the links down the left side.

Hope you find this helpful.

John

19. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Only on days that have a "Y" in them otherwise you will be fine good luck.

20. Xabia

Xabia Funster

As an ex-yatchsman I would say Stugeron every time. :thumb: