Jun 9, 2009
Dover, Kent
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since April 2009.
Hi All :thumb:

I am planning to visit the Battlefields / War Graves in France & Holland. It will be the first time that I have taken the motorhome across the channel. Is there anybody out there that can advise on a route and itinary for the trip, including stopovers. I would like to travel from Dover, maybe late evening 12.02.10 / early morning 13.02.10.

Your help will be greatly apprieciated.

PS. The trip must include Pegasus Bridge.

Kind Regards

Green Machine

mickandalva

Free Member
Nov 12, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Arca
Exp
War Graves

How long are you going for because there is a lot to see! We have done several trips all over France and still not seen many of them. We started off at the Menen Gate and did Tyne Cot Cemetery and area. We stayed in the car park of the sports centre just round the corner from the gate Leopold Laan at the bottom. Then to Reims to see the Old School House where the Germans signed the surrender papers, use the aire in reims centre and walk. Then off to the beaches starting at Pegasus Bridge and Museum plenty of aires round here(we had a night at the side of Juno Beach and the new centre there. Got some photo's on here.....:thumb:

OP
OP
G

green machine

Free Member
Jun 9, 2009
Dover, Kent
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since April 2009.
War Graves.

Hi Mickandalva :thumb:

I have only got one week off work. Will I see much in that time. I live in Dover, so I can go back for long weekends.

Regards

Green Machine

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MIN663

Free Member
Sep 19, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
Hi Green machine,

If you only have a week and must see Airbourne bridge i would stick to Normandy, Loads of very good D day stuff to see as well as being a lovely part of France. If you intend to see a lot of museums worth getting a Normandie pass will save you a fortune on entrance fees all for one euro.

Link Removed

As you live in Dover a lot of the First world war sites / cemeterys can be done easy on weekend trips. I used to go over on day trips with the Sun newspaper deals when we lived in London.

Cheers Min :thumb:

mickandalva

Free Member
Nov 12, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Arca
Exp
War Graves

Hi
I agree with the others if you only have a week go down to the beaches in Normandy and do the others when you can.::bigsmile:

Nojazz

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Funster No
Have just returned from Normandy, I would recommend the museums at Arromanche where you can still see the Mulberry harbours on the beach and definately the American cemetry and museum at Omaha Beach. Plenty of aires to stay (one within walking distance of Arromanche museum). Have a nice trip.

Nojazz

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I am planning to visit the Battlefields / War Graves in France & Holland. It will be the first time that I have taken the motorhome across the channel. Is there anybody out there that can advise on a route and itinary for the trip, including stopovers. I would like to travel from Dover, maybe late evening 12.02.10 / early morning 13.02.10.

Your help will be greatly apprieciated.

PS. The trip must include Pegasus Bridge.

Hi

Map ... World Wars Cemeteries - Ypres - Belgium

zoom in and click on pins for useful information

jim

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Would also recommend St. Mare Eglise where there is an American air musueum and of course the paratrooper on the church roof.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back