Battlefield / War Graves.

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by green machine, Jan 24, 2010.

1. green machine

green machine Read Only Funster

Hi All :thumb:

I am planning to visit the Battlefields / War Graves in France & Holland. It will be the first time that I have taken the motorhome across the channel. Is there anybody out there that can advise on a route and itinary for the trip, including stopovers. I would like to travel from Dover, maybe late evening 12.02.10 / early morning 13.02.10.

Your help will be greatly apprieciated.

PS. The trip must include Pegasus Bridge.

Kind Regards

Green Machine

2. mickandalva

mickandalva Read Only Funster

War Graves

How long are you going for because there is a lot to see! We have done several trips all over France and still not seen many of them. We started off at the Menen Gate and did Tyne Cot Cemetery and area. We stayed in the car park of the sports centre just round the corner from the gate Leopold Laan at the bottom. Then to Reims to see the Old School House where the Germans signed the surrender papers, use the aire in reims centre and walk. Then off to the beaches starting at Pegasus Bridge and Museum plenty of aires round here(we had a night at the side of Juno Beach and the new centre there. Got some photo's on here.....:thumb:

3. green machine

green machine Read Only Funster

War Graves.

Hi Mickandalva :thumb:

I have only got one week off work. Will I see much in that time. I live in Dover, so I can go back for long weekends.

Regards

Green Machine

4. MIN663

MIN663 Read Only Funster

Hi Green machine,

If you only have a week and must see Airbourne bridge i would stick to Normandy, Loads of very good D day stuff to see as well as being a lovely part of France. If you intend to see a lot of museums worth getting a Normandie pass will save you a fortune on entrance fees all for one euro.

http://www.normandiepass.com/UK/Accueil/index.html

As you live in Dover a lot of the First world war sites / cemeterys can be done easy on weekend trips. I used to go over on day trips with the Sun newspaper deals when we lived in London.

Cheers Min :thumb:

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

if you can, then visit the 360-degree cinema at Arromanches.

amazing experience once you get your 'sea' legs and the footage is supposed to be genuine, at the time, shots.

360-degree cinema

6. mickandalva

mickandalva Read Only Funster

War Graves

Hi
    I agree with the others if you only have a week go down to the beaches in Normandy and do the others when you can.:BigGrin:

7. Nojazz

Nojazz Read Only Funster

Have just returned from Normandy, I would recommend the museums at Arromanche where you can still see the Mulberry harbours on the beach and definately the American cemetry and museum at Omaha Beach. Plenty of aires to stay (one within walking distance of Arromanche museum). Have a nice trip.

Nojazz

8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi

Map ... World Wars Cemeteries - Ypres - Belgium

zoom in and click on pins for useful information

jim

9. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

Would also recommend St. Mare Eglise where there is an American air musueum and of course the paratrooper on the church roof.