Battery Warranty ? Experience? (1 Viewer)

Bohenny

Free Member
Aug 27, 2012
South Yorks
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance
Exp
One year - summer and winter
I have a Swift Sundance with a Platinum 110Ah battery fitted which no longer lasts more than 4 hours when using the cabin lights
The m/home is less than 2 years old.
Has anyone experience of getting a replacement under warranty?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
some cheap batteries only have a 12month warranty so not much help. it will also depend on what caused the battery to fail, like leaving it without charge for months over the winter

personally I now use alphaline batteries and the only one that lost a cell after 18 months was replace without issue under the 4 year warranty

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have a Swift Sundance with a Platinum 110Ah battery fitted which no longer lasts more than 4 hours when using the cabin lights
The m/home is less than 2 years old.
Has anyone experience of getting a replacement under warranty?

Will depend on the battery warranty.. and the goodwill of the supplier.. but even if they agree that it failed prematurely, I doubt you will get it replaced free...

for example.. .. if it had 3 years warranty then you MAY get a pro rata discount of 1/3 on a replacement..

I had this argument with Elecsol when mine failed within the warranty period.. they argued that I had mistreated it and in the end offered a small discount on a replacement.. I told them where to stuff it..

I believe they are no longer made.. I wonder why

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
We just had our main - engine battery - replaced under warranty, but the van is only a few months old... we were told that the engine battery only comes with a 12 month cover - Peugeot that is:Smile: cannot speak for other makes

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Had a Varta battery fail on Merilyn's Smart car. The battery was just over a year old. I took it back and asked them to check it out, which the guy did. He told me that a cell had failed which was very unusual and he then disappeared and came back with another new battery which he date marked before handing it to me. When I asked how much I owed I was pleasantly surprised to be told nothing, it was under warranty. I believe that Varta give a 3year warranty on car batteries and 1year on bike batteries.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I took back a cheepy 110Ah battery I bought from Chichester caravans which died after a year and was impressed that they gave me a replacement without a quibble.

OP
OP
B

Bohenny

Free Member
Aug 27, 2012
South Yorks
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance
Exp
Thanks to all - seems like I may stand a chance although I am tempted to go for a Banner with a 4 year warranty and a better chance of it lasting. Frustrating because it has been on EHU all winter on the drive. I checked with a meter in line to be sure I was not losing power somewhere it shouldn't be going and all the measurements were as per the Sargent website.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a faulty charger will kill a battery if its left charging for months too, which is typical for the way some people leave a motorhome on ehu at home over winter

OP
OP
B

Bohenny

Free Member
Aug 27, 2012
South Yorks
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance
Exp
Now you've got me worried! Although it wasn't on charge the whole time and we did some " "winter" trips in late Nov and early this year. Any way I can diagnose a faulty charger - ?connect the ammeter while on charge to a fully charged battery???

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back