Battery Warning Light Fiat Ducato 2.8JTD (1 Viewer)

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
Hi there people

Sunny weather inspired me to ready my van, low and behold van battery dead!.
I have periodically checked during the winter months for damp, leisure and vehicle battery levels etc.
The vehicle battery showed only 7.5 on the habitation panel readout, van step wouldn't even slide out and a gentle ticking was coming from the engine... alarm with not enough power?
A 30min charge put the battery up to 13 and hey presto all systems GO. The engine fired immediately and step operational.
However, a battery warning light remains lit on the dashboard even when the engine is raced. Everything else is in working order but I suspect the battery may not be charging properly.
I must confess I may have crossed a connection when putting on the charger leads.
Can you please help me.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
you need to check if the alternater is charging, there might be a fuse blown if you fitted the leads on the wrong way round:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
pwilmo

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for your speedy reply, I am completely thick when it comes to electrics would the fuse be on one of the fuse panels or on the alternator itself?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
i dont think there is one on the alternator check the panel I know on mine there is an in line fuse on the battery lead failing that an auto electrician:thumb::thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
a 30 min charge will be enough to start the van but the battery wont be anywhere near charged.

it could be the voltage is still so low that the alternator cant detect a voltage and set itself in action.

try placing the battery on charge overnight then try again.

let it stand for a couple of hours then put a volt meter across the battery terminals and check the voltage...should be around 12.6v.....

start the engine and check again...it should be around 14v at idle or just above.

OP
OP
pwilmo

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
Sorted

Hi every one

Just a quick update, firstly, thank you all for your speedy replies and help.
I admitted defeat with my non existent knowledge of auto-elec-trickery.
Off I scooted to a local auto electrician (wad of bank notes in hand ready!). After a rub of the chin and a few PPhhraaws, it was diagnosed that my alternator configuration was the worst and most expensive. It would take a couple of days to dismantle, order part and fix. Oh dear thought I.
But first a check on the fuses on the battery top. Lo and behold ... YIPEE !!! the large alternator 150? AMP fuse was shot, frazzled.
Job done: cost was £35 total; expensive fuse eh?
Alternator warning light off, all back to as was.
A long story but hope you enjoy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back