Battery voltage drop under load. (1 Viewer)

gazza280

Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Guys

Just a quick bit of advice please.

I have been using my new leisure batteries for the first time off hook up they have been fully charged by my new solar panel.
Under load, that includes new television and aerial booster, eberspacher heater and a laptop, the small plug in meter, says that the batteries have a voltage of between 11.5v and 11.8 and when no load jumps back up to 12.8v 13v.

My query is this.
I know that under load the voltage will go below 12v but how far below. Is it normal for the voltage to go lower than 11.5v. If when no load is applied it jumps back to 12.6v / 13v.

I know that if the voltage stays below 11.2v with not load it must be charged before becoming damaged

Previously when using a single leisure battery the voltage has only fallen to 11.8v hence the question.

Many thanks Guys

Last edited:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
sounds like either a bad battery cell or bad connection

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
check the voltage with a proper, handheld multimeter, dont rely on the control panel to give an accurate voltage.

Not unusual for a lead acid battery to show a low voltage under load but that does appear extreme for such a light loading.
An engine battery will drop down to around 9v when cranking but soon comes back to 12.6v without the engine running....although that is drawing 300 or 400 amps

As an aside.......12v, off load, is considered flat.....11.2v is more than likely terminal and the damage is already being done....battery calcification has already begun.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Are you testing it in the night when the solar is not charging? Otherwise you will find the meter is reading the solar voltage rather than the actual battery voltage. You do list quite a number of items with no mention of how many watts they consume. If you let us know the total wattage or even the number of amps being consumed a more accurate answer may emerge.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I suspect you have nothing to worry about! The voltage will drop under load depending how much power you are using. If you rest the batteries for a few hours they will recover and you will be able to ascertain what there true state is. A cheap multi-meter will do this for you.

This will improve your knowledge.

Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back