Battery Upgrades Etc - Could be important!.. (1 Viewer)

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Hi Peeps....

I have read lots and lots of threads/posts on MHF about batteries etc. And whilst I am no expert; thought I would post this.... As I don't recall any mention of it when folk ask advice on battery types/upgrades etc.

When I purchased the Moho... It came with a single 70Ah GEL Hab battery...

Like many others - I had Solar and an alarm fitted from new and a week later swapped the single GEL for two 110Ah WETs... I did this on the advice of others and because at the time WETs seemed the best option in terms of power per £ and came highly recommended.

A month or so later ( whilst finally reading the plethora of paperwork that came with the Moho ) I discovered that there is a "jumper" switch on the EBL unit - to set the charge pattern to either GEL or WET: Accordingly (as a newbie) I asked on here if it made a difference.... And subsequently powered everything down and flipped the charge jumper from GEL to WET.

The thing that didn't cross my mind (naivety at that time) was to check what battery was being used for the CAB.... As this also charges via the EBL... As I understand.

Anyway as luck would have it - the CAB battery is also WET....

But more to the point - The Moho came new with TWO different types of battery and until I changed the "jumper".... The CAB battery was being charged on the GEL setting...

Maybe it's worth checking to see if yours all match... As it could be one of the reasons folk have battery/EBL issues...

I may be talking utter nonsense .... But my logic says both CAB and HAB should be same type... IF they are being charged via EBL.

John T

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I'm thinking you're making sense. ;)
When does the engine battery charge via the EBL? Is it only when on EHU?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
You aren't talking nonsense but my EBL (99) and probably later ones too change only the 'equalise' time (time during which the charger output is 14.3 volts) when the lead-gel / lead-acid switch is operated. When set to lead-acid the 'equalise' time is 1 hour: when set to lead-gel it is 8 hours. So if the switch is at lead-acid to suit the hab battery a lead-gel (or indeed a lead-acid) starter battery will still receive an extended dose of 14.3v or more whenever the engine is running. The engine alternator doesn't differentiate between the two types.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It is only a limited trickle charge to the engine battery, German vans have been doing like that for over 20 years, although not technically correct not aware of any problems due to it.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
As Lenny says, the current passed to the starter battery is limited.

The EBL99 manual states 'This feature provides an automatic float charge for the starter battery at up to 2A when the 230V mains is connected to the Electrobloc'.

It doesn't specify a voltage, but 'float charge' suggests it is voltage limited as well as current limited. Where it makes reference to wet or gel battery selection, it specifically mentions the habitation battery, further implying that the starter battery trickle charge is unaffected by the wet/gel setting.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
It doesn't specify a voltage, but 'float charge' suggests it is voltage limited as well as current limited. Where it makes reference to wet or gel battery selection, it specifically mentions the habitation battery, further implying that the starter battery trickle charge is unaffected by the wet/gel setting.
Once the hab batteries are charged the EBL will drop to a maintenance voltage of 13.8v the output will be the same for the engine battery.

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Once the hab batteries are charged the EBL will drop to a maintenance voltage of 13.8v the output will be the same for the engine battery.

Soooo.... is that good or bad if mixed batteries installed?... Espec for those that use EHU at home for long periods?

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Yes, but the way the manual is worded rather suggests that the starter battery feed might be regulated at 13.8V even when the habitation battery was being charged at full rate.

Not really worth an email to Udo to find out, because either way the 2A current limitation should prevent any overcharging of the starter battery.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Soooo.... is that good or bad if mixed batteries installed?... Espec for those that use EHU at home for long periods?
Shouldn't matter. AFAIK once the EBL goes into float (as it would on long term hookup), the float voltage is the same for both types.

It's a separate question as to whether it should be the same, or even as to whether 13.8 isn't a bit high for either battery type. I've seen several suggestions that a float voltage of 13.6 would be better for battery longevity.

It's a difficult subject. There are many 'authoritative' sources of information about batteries, but it's rare to find complete agreement between them! :rolleyes:

EDIT - actually, forget the AFAIK above. As far as the EBL 99 is concerned (the only one I have any knowledge of), as @tonyidle points out above, the only difference between the wet & gel regimes is the length of time before the voltage drops from over 14V to 13.8V.

I say 'over 14V' because depending on where you read it, that voltage is 14.3, 14.4 or 14.5V :D2

Last edited:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I have gels in my present van and my previous one, don't know what the engine battery is, but haven't heard any problems.
Only some of the older vans don't have a charging regime for agm batteries, so may not be a good idea to fit these if your block doesn't have the option.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Our last Hymer was nearly 6 years old when we sold it. The Gel leisure batteries were still performing like new and the engine battery not showing any signs of getting old, EBL was a 101 not much different to the 99.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back