Battery sonic mouse repeller

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Nirvanauk, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

Has anyone used one and do they work? Just been to check the van in storage and mouse droppings everywhere! Although due to moving house we haven't been able to check it for the last 5 weeks.
    So, for tonight have put poison down and three rat traps. But would rather have a sonic repeller if they are of any use.
    Cheers.

2. N&K

N&K

Hi

Not tried the Mouse Repeller, but we have a sonic Cat Repeller on our gravel drive outside the front of the house and that definitely works. The cats used to use it like a litter tray - once installed it takes a few days for the cats to release they have a headache and stop coming into the garden but without doubt a brilliant piece of kit.

But it also effected the postman HAHA.

ps. It eats batteries, if possible get one that has a transformer input .

Ours looks like this one, but the principle is the same I imagine the mouse version will work just as well, motion detection built in. But it only works in range, across the drive it works well but a mouse travels under things and behind things , you might need multiple mouse devices to cover different areas around your home:
    http://www.stopcatsanddogs.co.uk/Cat-Repeller-%6040%60-Super---Ultrasonic-Pest-Repeller/4.htm

:BigGrin:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

I have used a 12v powered sonic mouse whatsit for the past 3 years, during which time there have been 2 mice entered or nested in the van. Could be they were deaf of course.:Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I had 2 in my van and no mice for 3 years.Then 2 years ago we had mice but the batteries had run out:Doh:

We now have a battery one and a 240v one plugged in.

I think they do work but only if there is no food source in the van.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Caztur

Caztur Funster

The mains ones don't work in the house so I don't suppose a 12v one would work in the van either.

Unless we have deaf mice round here, too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We tried a couple of the mains ones in the house. The cheaper one didn't work but the dearer one (can't remember the make offhand) appears to as we haven't had mice in the house since we got it.

We have a large garden and fields behind us so there are plenty of field/wood mice about. They get into the detached garage but don't come into the house. The gravel drive on which the van is parked seems to deter them as well.

7. laneside

laneside Funster

Apparently you need to get the sonic devise that emits several different tones to be effective. As an alternative get down to your local equestrian store and buy the sticky pads, strategically placed these are brilliant, cruel but brilliant

• Like Like x 2
  8. dogman

dogman Read Only Funster

Deaf as a mouse, never a truer saying:Doh:

9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

generally, no food...no mice, regardless of repellants.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Yep, that's probably right.

The main target for our mice in the van was a soft toy my daughter had that you heated up in the microwave as a hot water bottle which contained wheat apparently.

11. WAG2CRU

WAG2CRU Read Only Funster

Tell that one to the deer mouse who stripped the foam insulation off my Freelander bulkhead and his cousins who attempt to nest in my loft each winter, neither provided a source of food. It seems shelter and warmth are more important to them from November to March.:Angry:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We get rats in the attic of our bungalow ... had them ever since we moved here 20 years ago - we live opposite fields and have a 'dyke' running along the side of the road. They tend to move out for summer and come back in winter, in fact I heard the first one a few days ago! :cry: We've tried all sorts over the years but have never managed to eradicate them totally. :shout:

We have sonic scarers now (got them this year) and I think they work as the 'return of the rats' is very late compared to previous years, also I think the reason we may have the back is because of the work we've had done in September/October - timber repair and woodworm treatment in the front part of the roof - which meant that a lot of the stuff up there had to be piled up in one place and probably stopped the 'sonic' waves from covering the whole of the attic space. Hubby has how moved a lot of the stuff back so hopefully the scarers will work properly and we will be 'rat-less' once again.

We also have some lovely teeny-weeny mice, but they live outside and have never ever ventured into the bungalow so we aren't bothered about them and they are soooooooo cute! Below is a picture of one of the rats which I took many years ago next to our pond ... nuisances but sooooooo cute too!!!! :Blush:

Attached Files:

13. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Graham, could you send your mice up here and we'll swop them for ours......we've got gravel all around the house and the garage, but it's no deterrent to them:RollEyes: I took a ceramic cherub out of the kiln the other day and left it on a table in the workshop. The following morning there was a dropping on the cherub's head:Doh:
    They've shredded the remainder of the carpet underlay that was left in the garage as well, as well as this we found a dead bird's head in a ceramic mould........no body, just the head:Sad:
    We're on a hiding to nothing, too many fields and farmland around here........have got a sonic plug-in but it's not working. Still, as long as they don't go back into the van we don't mind too much.

Margaret:Smile:

14. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster

Are they "Pond Rats" or are they actually Water Voles?
    Water Voles look almost identical to rats but are a protected species.

Water Vole.jpg

[​IMG]