Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
After not being used for three weeks, and having left the alarm system on (we park on a CaSSOA Gold Site so the alarm isn’t needed when in storage) I came to start the motorhome and the battery was flat. Typically, there was no-one around to give me a jump start, so I called out the RAC. This was early November by the way.

They arrived quickly and started the engine in about 2 minutes flat, so perfect, job done. But then the big sales push started. The guy tried everything to get me to buy a new battery from them – at a cost of £180, £180 for God’s sake – even though the tests he ran showed that the battery was fine, just needed charging. “Best to be safe Sir. You don’t want to get stranded”

I couldn’t figure out what was going on. Their tests showed that the battery was in good condition (it is less than a year old) but still he pushed and pushed to flog me a battery I clearly didn’t need at a ridiculous price. Then it dawned on me – I’m a bit slow I know lol - he must be on commission !

Since then the motorhome has been parked on the storage site for up to a fortnight, and has always started at the first turn of the key. So maybe I didn’t need a £180 battery after all. I still can’t get over that, 180 quid for a battery !

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The £180 usually includes going to get a battery as they don't always have a suitable one with them, then travelling back and fitting it, testing everything then disposing of the old one ... still a bloody expensive job though!

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
I Agree and the Batteries ,although with a RAC Branding on them ,same spec batteries can be got for £70-80.From local battery suppliers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Maybe you need to develop a Yorkshire accent?

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
They have got to pay for the new software they purchased this year. :rolleyes:

I suspect your patrol man is on a managed "performance target" to sell them. Hence the pushy sales patter.

http://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/d...dvanced-form-of-battery-testing-on-the-roads/

But it does say if you have had a problem - email them :)

If you have any concerns about the service you received when you suffered a battery-related breakdown please contact: breakdowncustomercare@rac.co.uk.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
When I did breakdowns and needed a battery (3rd callout to same vehicle) it cost the same as coming to the garage shop and buying one.
Only advantage we had was if they didn't buy it they were left at the roadside/carpark/drive so inevitably coughed up.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Did you not see the Watchdog programme on BBC that investigated this?

From memory they set up ten call outs to flat batteries, having checked they were all in good order. On (I think) 6 or 7 of the callouts new batteries were recommended, needlessly.

The programme targeted the RAC on this matter as a result of the number of complaints they had received just like yours.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012

From memory they set up ten call outs to flat batteries, having checked they were all in good order. On (I think) 6 or 7 of the callouts new batteries were recommended, needlessly.

The programme targeted the RAC on this matter as a result of the number of complaints they had received just like yours.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2669175.stm

This one was dated 2003

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/nov/03/rac-breakdown-membership-retail-overcharging-battery

and from 2014.

- so still up to their old tricks it would appear.

Last edited:

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Were the RAC not pulled up for mis-selling batteries on last weeks BBC "Watchdog" programme?

Ah just spotted that this had already been popped onto this battery issue. I'd been nodding off during the programme but something in the dim & distant was floating around in my head.

rickscott

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Ellon, Aberdeenland
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
2, previous 12 caravanning
.... for which they would get a scrap value of £20+ depending on the weight ... so in effect they are charging over £200.:eek:

What scrap yards are you going to?
Up here we are lucky to get £4 per battery, I tend to stock pile them, to make it worth the diesel in getting them there.
Last trip was 30 batteries, about 2 months ago, at your rates, I'd have been better off driving to Norfolk to get my £600!!!

OP
OP
Spanda

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp

I didn't see it. I really must watch more TV !

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
£4 ... they are taking the urine .. almost as bad as the RAC.

I think its around £520 per 1000 kilo for a lead acid battery at the moment.

So a average leisure battery at around 20kgs would give you about enough to pay for the diesel to take it to a recycler.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005

So a average leisure battery at around 20kgs would give you about enough to pay for the diesel to take it to a recycler.
Obviously gone down in value since I took some last year .. probably a Brexit effect!:rolleyes:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp

You're spot on and the price has been around £500 per tonne for a few years now moves up and down a few quid but not much. Up until a year ago I was selling 200 tonnes of batteries a month for an old customer of mine.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
On another tangent the CASSOA site I used initially was broken into three times, and they were not even slightly interested in upping their security, dilapidated fences non working lights I could go on. When I spoke to CASSOA I met with the same lack of response. Oh and only 9 to 5 access!

I now have 24/7 security guard, 24/7 access, and less money!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have a few old tractors and diggers about, and they all run on battery's that have been condemned on other vehicles, only battery's that have been bought new are the leisure battery's on the van and they are cheapo Chinese £45 each and with solar on there they are always full and been on three years, but the others are all kept up with a smart charger occasionally sometimes from so flat they don't register on the digital scale on the charger.

OP
OP
Spanda

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
On another tangent the CASSOA site I used initially was broken into three times, and they were not even slightly interested in upping their security, dilapidated fences non working lights I could go on. When I spoke to CASSOA I met with the same lack of response. Oh and only 9 to 5 access!

I now have 24/7 security guard, 24/7 access, and less money!

Our site is the same, 24/7 security guard, 24/7 access and a decent perimeter fence and gates. I went to collect the motorhome one morning at 5-00, and the security guard was even awake lol

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
report him to the police and get him charged and throw him in a cell the little jump start ray xx lol still lol for £180.00 popeye will show you around his m/h and you get a cup of tea as well:xrofl::xrofl::xrofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back