Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
I understand that if a battery reads 12.4v it is only 75% charged.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
upload_2016-1-3_22-7-22.png

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Banner being an Austrian company one of their biggest markets is Germany.
If you want to see how rubbish they are just search the German forms plenty of unhappy customers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If you want to see how rubbish they are just search the German forms plenty of unhappy customers.
Popular with dealers though :LOL: I wonder why :whistle:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Three of these are 3 yrs old this month and the fourth was added 1 yr ago. They have so far spent their life exclusively feeding my 230volt circuits hair dryer toaster kettle etc. They are cheap and reliable, probably buy four for the price of two banners.
These were sold as Alphaline but now sold as Hankook
CA_06211421223402-L.jpg

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi "Ovalball".
Just being a basic idiot, have you checked the electrolyte levels in the batteries ???
They may well need topping up with distilled water ((to just above the plates))
If I am teaching granny to suck eggs, I apologise..

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Aye, and they're rubbish at wars. And World cups

OP
OP
Camper634
Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
Great response thanks.Yes levels regulalarly checked and topped up if required.Charged for approx 3 hours each day and well looked after.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Banner batteries are crap mine lasted barely 18 months and failed when wilding in the Pyrenees.
We now have deep cycle traction batteries as recommended by @jonandshell.
3 years on massive use months on end off hookup and still going strong.
No more expensive than so called leisure batteries but a damn site better.
Good luck(y)
@Ovalball, I've gone down the same route as @Forestboy above, also with the expert help of @jonandshell . (y)

What a difference the 2 x 225Ah 6v traction batteries are, compared to the big 12v Elecsol 220Ah leisure battery which wouldn't hold it's charge.

We can be down to 12.4v with the blown heating, lighting, 19" TV, and tablet or laptop charging on the go, but as soon as they are all off, and we retire to bed, the reading is back up to 12.6, and by the morning, the reading is 12.7 again. These are probably the best batteries I have used in 27 years of caravanning and motorhoming. (y)

The Trojan T105 and the Powerline T105 are the same battery, and ours were purchased from https://www.tayna.co.uk/Trojan-Batteries-S1188-1.html?ordering=&A-B=Powerline,Trojan
Next day delivery too. (y) If you have the space to take larger dimension batteries, go for the larger capacities, (especially if your charger is man enough for the job).

HTH,

Jock. :)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Popular with dealers though :LOL: I wonder why :whistle:
Mainly as people want to buy them and are blinkered when we suggest an alternative.

We have the same wall of "my mate said" with Oyster and Avtex

Hard to argue when say Hymer (who have just charged our mutual customer £100k for their new "toy") have fitted one Banner, and there is room for another along side and we then suggest "Take out that new Banner and instead of buying one new battery from us, buy TWO new batteries instead" lol

When any battery, fails prematurely, why don't people complain or make a claim to the supplying dealer?

My customers seem to think that anything they buy has a bloody lifetime warranty:(

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Three of these are 3 yrs old this month and the fourth was added 1 yr ago. They have so far spent their life exclusively feeding my 230volt circuits hair dryer toaster kettle etc. They are cheap and reliable, probably buy four for the price of two banners.
These were sold as Alphaline but now sold as Hankook
CA_06211421223402-L.jpg
Lol Andy, need a 8mm nut on the nearest Positive stud!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I thought that too Eddie, but seeing tools on the floor indicated that the job was still in hand. ;)

BTW, when in contact with A & N Caravans re our EBL 4-105 charger, and the possibility that I might install a 20/25A charger, it was indicated that they didn't feel that CTEK were quality products. :eek:

In short, I replaced the slow blow fuse in the EBL, and all is well in the meantime. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
When any battery, fails prematurely, why don't people complain or make a claim to the supplying dealer?
How about this for a pile of poo, Hymer fit a Banner AGM battery for leisure use in a Motorhome, when they fail both Hymer & Banner will only accept batteries back under warranty if they fail a CAA test which is a starter battery test.

My batteries passed the CAA test but in leisure type use with my own tests which I fully charged each battery then applied a 5 amp load one lasted 10 A/H the other 12 A/H, the fact that they can survive a minute or so high current cranking test is irrelevant for leisure use.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
As Jock said Eddie but they're not 8mm either :LOL: It is important to check that the nuts are with the battery on delivery as 8mm will only screw on three threads before seizing (y)

Later picture with 70mm2 cable going to inverter
CA_07231414163761-XL.jpg

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
How about this for a pile of poo, Hymer fit a Banner AGM battery for leisure use in a Motorhome, when they fail both Hymer & Banner will only accept batteries back under warranty if they fail a CAA test which is a starter battery test.

My batteries passed the CAA test but in leisure type use with my own tests which I fully charged each battery then applied a 5 amp load one lasted 10 A/H the other 12 A/H, the fact that they can survive a minute or so high current cranking test is irrelevant for leisure use.

Hymer used to fit the EXIDE G80 gel battery to most if not all their vans, fitting Banner is just another penny pinching cut to me, but they are all doing it, the G80 I think is a cracking battery IMO.

Martin

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hymer used to fit the EXIDE G80 gel battery to most if not all their vans, fitting Banner is just another penny pinching cut to me, but they are all doing it, the G80 I think is a cracking battery IMO.
Martin
It was about 2012 Hymer group started fitting Banner AGM batteries, due to the high number of failures (which they won't accept) they have in 2015 changed to Varta AGM's and on the German forums they are failing too, AGM's although when looking at their spec they look ideal for leisure use in practice they appear to be totally unsuitable.

I agree about Gel's my last van had G80's still going strong at nearly 6 years old, I gave them a full test at 5 years old they were still performing like new batteries quite a few reports of them lasting 8 or 9 years a minimum of 6 is very common.

Based on my experience I replaced the Banners with a pair of Sonnenschein Gel's (Exide owned company that make the Exide Gel's). Difference in performance is amazing, 3 days over Chrismas hardly any solar input still reading 12.72v.

Note:-
For anyone with banner batteries failing under warranty make sure you totally F**K them before taking them in to be tested. If only I'd known about how they test them before taking mine in.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
It was so difficult to get any type of refund from Banner I gave up and took them to the scrapyard which is the best place for them, lifes too short to get worked up over a couple of batteries. The trouble with that attitude obviously is it means Banner keep getting away with selling crap.

Never mind my old dad used to say "learn the hard way boy those are the best lessons" :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
It was so difficult to get any type of refund from Banner I gave up and took them to the scrapyard which is the best place for them, lifes too short to get worked up over a couple of batteries. The trouble with that attitude obviously is it means Banner keep getting away with selling crap.
Crap batteries, crap service = 100% Crap.

Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
After reading good reports about banner had two 115 fitted six months ago and must admit they are not giving me confidence is it any beneficial to fit four leisure batteries rather than just two I have a 130 panel on roof any fors or against please

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
plus one for traction batteries ive got 225ah of trojans that have never faltered mine are 2x six volts but they now do 12volts only thing to watch is the physical sizes and will they fit your space

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
After reading good reports about banner had two 115 fitted six months ago and must admit they are not giving me confidence is it any beneficial to fit four leisure batteries rather than just two I have a 130 panel on roof any fors or against please
The more battery power the better if off grid a lot, in your position before adding more batteries I would ditch the Banners for a couple of decent batteries.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp

Cut your losses don't waste more money on Banner batteries.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I will start by stating I don't know what I'm talking about. Recently I had to retire 2 x 110 Platinum batteries after 2½ years. Having bought from a large on-line retailer I tried to claim on the 3 year guarantee, and the VERY disinterested salesman said that they'd take a look at them if I sent them back (at my own expense), but he couldn't promise anything. So I was faced with finding a carrier to do this and at a reasonable price. Almost impossible. So I asked him what was a 4 year guarantee worth on one of their own brand LBs. He just mumbled something.
I did wonder if it was just one battery gone, so charged them up with a good charger. One battery sat for weeks with a voltage of 12.83 volts after a few days, slowly dropping but still about 12.7v after a few weeks, the other 12.7 to 12.5. They seemed OK. So I attached a 20 watt light to the healthier battery, which was visibly dimmer after 12 hours, and was a pale glimmer after 24 hours total.
This lead me to think that although they were fully charged, the total amount of amperage left in the battery was considerably less, and had been reduced by usage, sulphated up or something. So my conclusion was that the voltage test was misleading.
I have replaced these by 1x135 amp to see how I get on, on the basis that it costs much less to replace if it doesn't last, then I'll think again about a traction battery. I have 2/100 watt solars, by the way. I'd welcome the input of an expert on this.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I will start by stating I don't know what I'm talking about. Recently I had to retire 2 x 110 Platinum batteries after 2½ years. Having bought from a large on-line retailer I tried to claim on the 3 year guarantee, and the VERY disinterested salesman said that they'd take a look at them if I sent them back (at my own expense), but he couldn't promise anything. So I was faced with finding a carrier to do this and at a reasonable price. Almost impossible. So I asked him what was a 4 year guarantee worth on one of their own brand LBs. He just mumbled something.
I did wonder if it was just one battery gone, so charged them up with a good charger. One battery sat for weeks with a voltage of 12.83 volts after a few days, slowly dropping but still about 12.7v after a few weeks, the other 12.7 to 12.5. They seemed OK. So I attached a 20 watt light to the healthier battery, which was visibly dimmer after 12 hours, and was a pale glimmer after 24 hours total.
This lead me to think that although they were fully charged, the total amount of amperage left in the battery was considerably less, and had been reduced by usage, sulphated up or something. So my conclusion was that the voltage test was misleading.
I have replaced these by 1x135 amp to see how I get on, on the basis that it costs much less to replace if it doesn't last, then I'll think again about a traction battery. I have 2/100 watt solars, by the way. I'd welcome the input of an expert on this.
Basically the way you tested them is fine except you should have calculated how long with the load would equal 25% of their capacity then removed the load after that time, let them settle for 30-60 min checked the voltage then repeated the test & repeat again, this would have given you a good idea of they capacity.

With solar panels it is a mixed blessing with failing batteries, it masks a failing battery and gives you a false sense of security, on the other hand with my failing batteries my 200 watts of solar enabled me to continue my holiday and worry about sorting the batteries out when I got home.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Those batteries were tested outside of the van in my home's garage so were not being affected by the solars. Should I recharge them between readings or just leave them to rest. I think just rest them?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Just to say all suppliers are not bad, even if their batteries aren't great. I had a cheap 100AH generic battery I bought from Chichester caravans a few years back. It failed after about a year. I took it back to them where it was replaced immediately without question. A good dealer but only do trailer caravans.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back