Battery questions

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Ovalball, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Ovalball

Ovalball Funster

I have 2 x 115 AH banner batteries,about 3 years old.I also have 2 x 100 watt solar panels fitted.In summer everything works fine,obviously thanks mainly to the panels.However in winter I always struggle.On Friday we went with both batteries fully charged.After a couple of hours with very little turned on(All lighting LED)I was down to 12.3 Volta according to the IManager display.Are the batteries at fault do you think.After 3 years are they ready to be replaced?If so can anyone recommend a better alternative type,make size etc.I seem to spend most of my time monitoring the voltage!The boss wants to know why she can't watch TV without me moaning!Any help or advice appreciated.

2. Yorick

Yorick Funster

I'm no expert, but unlink the batteries and test them individually.
    That'll tell if one is duff :)

3. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Well 3 years is about how long my last leisure battery lasted before it wouldn't hold charge.
    However, 12.3 volts sounds about normal after being used without a charge. Anything over 12v suggests that they are receiving a charge.
    How long does it take until the voltage drops below 12?

4. Ovalball

Ovalball Funster

To be honest they rarely drop below 12 Volts.This morning one was at11.9 but went back up once the load was switched off.They seem to peak at 12.4 when they have been off charge for a couple of hours.I thought they would be at 12.7 for quite a while but drop to 12.3 after about 2 hours with little load.

5. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Most likely the batteries have had it, Banner's are rubbish mine failed after 18 months.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ovalball

Ovalball Funster

I only bought the Banner batteries because someone on here recommended them!!Can you suggest a more reliable make please??

7. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

If you just want Wet Cells Varta are very well thought of, for Gel, Exide or Sonnenschein (they make the Exide Gel) have a look here Tanya Batteries.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Have you measured the batteries across their posts which will help verify your Imanager display reading. This would be my starting point.

9. SandraL

SandraL Funster

In post no1 you say you went with batteries fully charged.
    If that was via mains then OK, but if via solar at this time of year although voltage may have shown 12.7 or so I doubt the solar have fully charged the batteries at this time of year.
    Perhaps charge batteries fully on mains, disconnect for 24 hours, and then apply 5amp load ( say headlight bulb) and check voltage of battery every 30mins. It will soon give you a good idea if batteries are good or not.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Ovalball

Ovalball Funster

Yes it was from a decent mains charger.Fully charged when i set off and also charged from alternator for around 40 miles.By bedtime(11 PM for us!)one hours Avtex TV very little lighting,showing 12.3 on one and 12.4 on the other.thanks for your suggestion regarding load test,will do.Dont mind buying new batteries if the others are now US.

11. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Banner batteries are crap mine lasted barely 18 months and failed when wilding in the Pyrenees.
    We now have deep cycle traction batteries as recommended by @jonandshell.
    3 years on massive use months on end off hookup and still going strong.
    No more expensive than so called leisure batteries but a damn site better.
    Good luck(y)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ovalball

Ovalball Funster

Do you have a link to the ones you bought please?

13. Forestboy

No I'm sorry I don't but I'm sure Jon @jonandshell will see this thread if not send him a pm he's a nice guy. Batteries are his speciality.

14. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

watching... :)
    I have 2 x 110amp banners, starting to drop fast now..
    One is original at 4 years old, the other was added a few months after new..
    Interesting to see what people recommend as Banner always got recommended a lot in the past..

• Like Like x 1
  15. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

I note others say Banner batteries are crap without quantifying what they mean. The fact's speak differently and it's dependant on what Banner battery you buy and the application you use it in. 1.e. Some Banner leisure batteries are not designed for long term use 'off grid' and rely on frequent 'hook up' to maintain them in good condition. Other Banner batteries are specifically designed and built for being used mostly 'off grid' and with minimum 'hook up' to maintain them in good condition. Users who purchased the former and then found they did not perform as well as the later would be of the view they were sold a pup and they were in deed crap when in fact they did the job they were built to do.
    Last year the NCC started to select various leisure batteries, subject them to detailed test's at an independent test house and publish the results. There are 3 categories.

Category A is for batteries with a higher storage capacity for people who frequently use their touring caravan or motorhome away from an electrical hook-up:
    Category B batteries are aimed at those who frequently use sites with hook-up facilities, but require a greater battery capacity to operate devices such as motor movers:
    Category C batteries are for users that require a lower capacity battery to cover basic operation of their habitation equipment for short periods away from an electrical hook-up:
    Banner have had some of their batteries selected and tested and have met both Class A and Class C (Starter batteries included). As more batteries are tested more results will become available.
    The link to the NCC Scheme is below, including a download link part way down the page for the results they have published so far.

There is also a copy in the Resources section.

http://www.thencc.org.uk/Our_Schemes/ncc_verified_leisure_battery_scheme.

I found myself in a similar situation that you find yourself, in that my leisure batteries were indicating full which was in fact the input from the Solar Panel and at night my alarms were going off warning me my voltage was very low yet I was not using many appliances. My batteries were 4.1/2 years old and had just completed 40 odd days off grid in Morocco where everything went well. The batteries had reached the end of their useful cycles and were simply worn out. I would suggest before you replace your batteries, do a drop test on them to establish if they are still good. It does sound to me as if they have about had it. Get them fully charged, disconnect from Solar Panels , or cover solar panels. Let them settle for a few hours then apply a known load for a few hours then remove load and see how well they recover.
    Best of luck and Safe Travels

• Like Like x 3
  16. Forestboy

Well I have no expertise about leisure batteries or any forms of electrickery so when I wanted new batteries I phoned the so called experts and described my needs and my vans set up.
    On their advise based on the information I gave them they sold me 2 nice new 115 amp Banner Leisure Batteries which as I said in the previous post failed miserably at 18 months old.:(
    After that experience I moved to deep cycle again as said in previous post and have had no problems since.:)
    Can only speak from personal experience and hard lessons.(y)

17. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Cheers... BUT "FILE NOT FOUND" :(

18. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Third file down on page one. ?

19. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

• Like Like x 1
  20. SandraL

SandraL Funster

• Like Like x 1